Ray Ray

Ray Ray's Zombie Apocolypse thread

i just watched a movie where mostly everyone died and people were fighting for food and eating one another , what happens when there is no food supply

What movie?

Part of any disaster plan should be to have a decent amount of food on hand (and a means to protect it) with the hopes that whatever the problem is, it clears up before you run out of food. If you do run out of food, then your choices are pretty limited. Have a garden, hunt game, move to a location that has a means of providing the previous two options, or steal.

It was a Cormac McCarthy* film adaptation... meaning it was beyond depressing ;) . As much as I was looking forward to it, I found it pretty darn boring. It did have an interesting glimpse at what life could be though. The thing though is that in a situation where the balloon goes up, we, living in NJ, are pretty much screwed. The population density added with the accelerated negatives of the urban sprawl, even if we did have long-term plans, they wouldn't mean much in the long run. Say someone manages to responsibly collect enough food (canned food, etc) for ten years; clean water; and a generator of some sort... that person(s) will stick out, and, assuming society doesn't deviate, will be eventually overrun. Even if they have 100+ guns, unless they have a force larger then that of the opposition (and even then, it would still end in a siege-- and it'd be a losing battle of attrition), they wouldn't hold out for long.

Sure, there are accounts of sieges lasting forever back during the Middle Ages, though entire estates were under siege, which provided all of the essentials needed (water, food, people, sewage, casualty collection/treatment, etc). The estates (aka forts, castles, and the sort) also provided far superior defenses that most people simply don't have access to in NJ (isolation is not a defense).

My point being that as much as I agree with the concept of "bugging in" if/when the balloon goes up, its a slow-form of suicide living in an area like NJ. Of course how can we gauge how bad a situation is if we do not have the means of being able to understand something from the bigger picture? Of course its relatively easy now to understand the big picture when disasters occur now, though most of that is understood in hindsight.

Ultimately my argument isn't about defenses (and why that makes NJ a bad place to stay). Instead the reason is because of the mentality of people in this state. A place in Montana wouldn't be any better or more fortified necessarily. Instead the community has more like-minded people (depending on the region of course). People in these other states understand that self defense and self preservation is a deeply intimate issue-- and is my basis of why I agree with the pro-CCW argument. People here in NJ would first rely on the system-- than each other... and ultimately they would become savages, ripping and taking whatever they could because they believed they deserved it more.

not all of NJ is urban sprawl. all around sussex county is still rural enough that you could live alone, or at least not have 100s of raiders at your door. you can wander through the pine barrens for days and never see another person.

if the SHTF and society falls, staying in an urban/suburban area is obviously not a good long term plan. there arent enough natural resources available to live for years. staying in said area, till supplies are exhausted or preferably when enough supplies have been gathered for an exodus, is another thing.

the movie was the road it was a post apocalyptic movie

The one thing I noticed is, the kid in that movie was never taught anything, if it wasn't for the family at the end he wouldn't last very long. Why not toughen him up and teach him how to survive in that type of enviorment? Teaching to use weapons in defense, hunting for food or growing food, cutting down tree's for fire, fishing, camoflauge - setting up camp for the night ect.

I'm surprised they couldn't find any weapons, other than a 6 shooter w/two rounds.

The reason why I believe that any long term plans to stay in NJ if/when SHTF would be a bad idea is because no matter how rural we think NJ is-- its sandwiched between two major cities.

- According to the Census, NYC accounts for roughly 42% of NY's state population. The number itself being around 8-9 million. There are roughly 47 million foreign visitors per year, and 37 million domestic tourists. That averages roughly to 3.9/3 million per month respectively (its a very rough number considering there is obviously a higher amount in the winter holiday months and summer months compared to dreary Spring or Fall/Winter months). These numbers do not account for illegals (to include people who have overstayed their visas), commuters (from NJ, CT, PA), students (generally speaking), or military units (and plenty of other assortments I haven't said). So, that daily 8-9 million can balloon up to 10-12 easily, with a better chance in these summer months.

- Philadelphia accounts for roughly 1.5 million, and another 5.8 million in the Philly metro areas. Foreign and domestic numbers are significantly less than NYC, but are still quite substantial.

- These numbers do not account for the suburban areas located around these major cities. Take for example, Bergen county has roughly 880-990K residents, Essex around 800K, Hudson around 600K, and Union around 500K. Around Philly, Burlington county has roughly 400+K, Camden has 500K, etc. These numbers add up quickly as you could imagine.

So, point being, as many awesome quiet spots we think there might be, when there are 15-20 million people at any time vying for X amount of resources... well, I wouldn't really count on any of the quiet spots being quiet for too long. Of course that number would dwindle within the first weeks, maybe a bit longer or shorter depending on why SHTF-- but, inevitably, states like NJ are just a bad, bad, bad place to hunker down.

The people in the cities will self eradicate through lack of preparedness. Depending upon the season it will be quicker. Those that do survive will most likely be wanderers and picked off by the gangs. The Gangs will eventually succumb because they are not that smart and when the supply of easy prey are gone so are they. Yes the stronger ones will survive but there will not be that many of them. I would feel perfectly secure on the Oswego River or Upper Mullica. Just watch out for The JD.

I have a large private lake, large plot of land and live in the middle of nowhere ---- bring it on!!!!

Eric, what if you saw a convoy on NJGF members heading toward your property? Would you kick them out or welcome them with open arms? Just curious. ;)

I have a large private lake, large plot of land and live in the middle of nowhere ---- bring it on!!!!

Eric, what if you saw a convoy on NJGF members heading toward your property? Would you kick them out or welcome them with open arms? Just curious. ;)

having a meet-up location for each group isn't a bad idea :whistle:

i like the meet up location idea also i just supped up my mossberg 500 with front pistol grip, rear ati top folding stock pistol grip, heat shield, shell holder, and flashlight holder ill put pics up soon it looks like a zombie killer

Dave remember to stack your ammo. Alternate rounds between slug and buck. A slug can easily penetrate an engine block and buck to take care of the transportationless zombies. Looks sweet though.