civictuner04

10/22 charger

so im thinking about picking up a 10/22 charger to customize a little bit i have never owned a 10/22 but i do have a mossberg 702 plinkster(not very good), a gsg-5, and a savage single shot. anybody have any experience with the charger i was thinking about swapping barrels for a 12" bull barrel. anybody any feedback positive or negative feel free let me know how you feel/think about the charger and mods

I have one which I bought on a whim in '08. It was on display with a Bushnell Trophy red dot and caught my eye. It is very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. As a matter of fact shooting at close distances is too easy. I had a problem with the scope loosing zero and thanks to Malusa I discovered the retaining screws were bottoming out before it was tight on the rail. I have no regrets about buying the Charger and would recommend it as a fun plinker.

So, apparently the Charger is available in NJ. Just curious how these get past the 50 oz. rule? According to Ruger's website, they weigh in at 56 oz.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So, apparently the Charger is available in NJ. Just curious how these get past the 50 oz. rule? According to Ruger's website, they weigh in at 56 oz.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good catch Bob. My friend was going to buy one but didn't after he contacted Ruger's legal department. They had an "Oh $hit!" moment when he reminded them of the 50 oz. rule. I would advise you not buy one unless you want a $10,250 gun ($250 for the gun and $10,000 in legal fees).

doesn't that pertain just to something if it subsequently identical to a gun on the list....

like a mp5 clone ar or ak clone....... the 10/22 charger does not resemble any other

firearm besides the 10/22 rifle???

No...the section regarding semi-automatic pistols allows one evil feature. The charger has two - magazine outside the pistol grip and manufactured weight over 50 oz.

I have seen Charger's for sale a gunshops here in NJ over the past few years. is that published weight loaded or unloaded?

Weight - 56 oz without bipod and not loaded.

The gunshops are still selling Chargers, most shops do not stock it as demand has gone down after initial introduction to the market.

Does anyone have a letter or email from the NJSP Firearms unit confirming that Ruger Chargers are legal in NJ? I understand the logic of the "substantially similar" modifier presented in another thread but I'd still like to see something in writing from the NJSP.

Thanks,

--Daniel

From the NJSP website:

"The New Jersey State Police is not authorized to provide legal advice to private parties".

"Because the New Jersey State Police is not authorized to provide legal advice to private parties, you may wish to consult with independent legal counsel or conduct your own research".

NP Tom. Yes, Maksim, you nailed it. I'm curious if any FFLs have received other-than-verbal guidance from the NJSP on the legality of the Ruger Charger in NJ. Not interested in busting anyone's balls...just attempting to locate a concrete answer we can all use. If they're legal I'll happily buy one. Hell, I'll probably buy two of them. :D However, In the absence of concrete guidance from the NJSP, I'll continue to hallucinate that they're not legal.

And actually I'm the IT Geek at BA. SIGs are just a hobby. ;)

--Daniel