Sign in to follow this  
Blcklightning

Olympics

So who is watching the Olympics and what are you watching?

We've had it on for the past two days. Today I particularly paid attention to the Biathlon - Men's 10 km Sprint. I had to do some quick research about the rifles that they use. I assumed they were .22, but was curious about them.

From http://www.biathlete.org/equ.html

A biathlon rifle is a .22 caliber rifle, with mechanical sights, five shot magazines, and a form of bolt action. No optical sights are allowed. Often biathlon rifles will also have snow covers for sights and the end of the barrel, to keep snow out. Rifles are outfitted with a hand stop and sling for shooting prone, and a backpack harness for wearing the rifle while skiing. Trigger weight must be more than 500 grams, and the rifle must be heavier than 3.5 kilograms.

The common entry market rifle is the marlin 2000 modified for biathlon. There is a kit which adds a backpack sling and magazine carrier. I'm not sure if Marlin is still selling the 2000 model. Find a dealer from their web site. If not, it's likely you could find one from the biathlon community.

Biathlon magazines hold five rounds, and most will have additional space for carrying three more rounds which can be removed manually from the bottom. The five round limit is important for safety, so an athlete doesn't accidentally ski with a loaded magazine. The extra rounds can be removed manually and are in case of a misfire and as extra shots in the relay format race.

Biathletes buy expensive ammunition, though there's no rule for which manufacturer is best. Common mythology is that certain rifles shoot certain brands of ammunition better than others, so you should try different types and see what works for you. I recommend ammunition from Eley, Fiocci, and Federal. Do not buy super-sonic ammunition, as you'll damage the metal targets. Super-sonic is actually less accurate at the biathlon shooting distances anyway. Make sure to buy sub-sonic. Expect to pay between 10 cents to 25 cents US per round for competition quality ammunition. I train with middle of the road quality ammunition as a result, and save the good stuff for races.

The bolt-actions look like they are effortless to operate.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-schedule-results/

Biathalin Rifles use Staright-pull actions. The Standard is Anschutz, but there are a few other makers out there, and by the time the olympic level people finish the rifles are heavily modified and individualized. Someone who's rifle craps the bed is done, they cant just use a teammate's.