imperialfish

Call Of Duty 2

I'm (still) waiting to buy it; you believe that? It was on sale around Christmas for $40 and I figured it'd be on sale again so I waited, and it hasn't been that low since, so I'm punishing myself and not buying it until it goes down in price. I'm sure it'll still be as good when I first play it, and I'm not an online player, so it's just single player mode for me :D

I'm (still) waiting to buy it; you believe that? It was on sale around Christmas for $40 and I figured it'd be on sale again so I waited, and it hasn't been that low since, so I'm punishing myself and not buying it until it goes down in price. I'm sure it'll still be as good when I first play it, and I'm not an online player, so it's just single player mode for me :D

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern- ... alswoot-20

$40 gogogo

MW2 sucks compared to the first one IMO. Haven't done the single player, which I liked a lot in MW1, but the multiplayer in MW2 just annoys me. Really stupid perks.. even stupider guns (really? duel yielding a lever action shotgun?). Only perk I like is bling so i can run a red dot and a silencer. I've had it since the week it came out, and I'm still at level 30 or something. Just can't bring myself to devote too much time to it. Plus, I'm convinced half the people that are playing on the PC version use hacks, but maybe that's just cuz I suck.

Ha! Good to see PC players. PM if you want my steamID info. Caine, play the single player campaign-- it really is quite epic. If you really enjoyed how the story unfolded and was displayed in the first MW, then MW2's campaign will really "wow" you. Now, the story itself is a bit cheesy (though it works for me)-- but like I said, how Infinity Ward unfolds the story and immerses the player into the campaign is damn good for an FPS.

As for the MP, yea, the perk system is crap. But do I think it breaks the camels hump? Not really. I think what is ruining FPS (first person shooter) multiplayer is how development teams are catering to the console players (xbox 360, PS3). Anybody who's been around since CS, Q3A, UT, and I'll even include MOHAA, knows that multiplayer use to require more then luck and crappy map synergy. Games use to actually involve strategy-- even COD4 (or MW1) was 'OK' at this level. However, the consumers targeted by dev teams are the casual gamers (which makes perfect economic sense). Unfortunately the competitive scene and "hardcore" guys are left in the cold.

Is the game a pretty package? Yea, there's a reason why it was the most successful entertainment-related thing ever. $310 million in its first 24 hours ONLY IN THE US AND UK (not including worldwide numbers). The Dark Knight (which was king at the time) only made $150 mil, and Halo 3 (albeit 360-exclusive) made $300 mil in its first week. The worldwide numbers since are absolutely epic. But from a purely gaming standpoint, there's still a lot to improve.

Sadly, the PC game market seems to be falling to the wayside. The fact that they made the multiplayer system on the PC similar to the xbox system annoys the hell out of me, but, it's not surprising. And, unfortunately, the success of MW2 probably means that IW isn't going to do a damned thing to address any of the issues that the PC players are complaining about. It is what it is I guess...

I agree that much of the strategy is gone. I played CS and CS:S for years on custom map servers and private servers, and 90% of the time, it was about playing like a team to complete the objective. I used to play DOD:S with a non-competitive clan, and it was all about the strategy and playing as a team. There's something extremely satisfying in knowing that you just won a game because you and your team played together. These days, I play a map of MW2 and everyone is either running around randomly or camping. Maybe if you're lucky there'll be one or two guys that have a bit of common sense and stick together as a team, but it's rare. And it all starts with IW pulling real servers.

Ha, I "lone wolf" in MW2 because the first couple weeks I would figure some one was watching my blind spot (I assumed this because they would go running that way), only to get a knife in the back. With that said, CS could get pretty bad though with the camping and baiting. I was actually a part of the competitive gaming scene for awhile years back (as a player, administrator, and eventually "management"), and even helped out behind the scenes with one of the teams that competed on DirecTV's short-lived CGS. These days I'm like Patches O' Houlihan, though prettier maybe.

CS, CS:S, DOD:s... all of them, were dependent on the server and people you played with. There were always a$shats playing, but, the difference generally was there was no tolerance of that and on a good server the admins would take care of it. After a while, you quickly learned where the type of people you wanted to play with played at. So, it usually wasn't too hard to find good games by just sticking to 2-3 good servers. Not so with MW2 :deadhorse:

These days I'm like Patches O' Houlihan, though prettier maybe.

:lol::lol: :laughing-rolling:

CS was really awesome and with dedicated servers you could actually lock it and do a 5v5 where it was a million times more competitive than a public server hence the CAL and the other leagues that i wasted my time in for so many years lol.

for the steam users i just put this together for the fun of it http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NJGF

don't really plan on doing anything with it just thought it might be convenient.

CS was really awesome and with dedicated servers you could actually lock it and do a 5v5 where it was a million times more competitive than a public server hence the CAL and the other leagues that i wasted my time in for so many years lol.

for the steam users i just put this together for the fun of it http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NJGF

don't really plan on doing anything with it just thought it might be convenient.

Yea man, I was actually a CAL administrator for CS. I actually started out playing CS when it was in final beta mode, and played it until 1.6 gave way to source (though its back to 1.6 for competitive play). I had my own vent, a couple sponsored private servers... ha, good times. I wasted a lot of time doing that stuff, but I don't regret it.

I actually liked CS:Source as much as I liked 1.6, but I know the hardcore guys never really made the switch. I feel like DOD made the transition to the source engine better than CS did tho. All were fun in the end, and it's a huge testament to the game that there are still guys playing on 1.6.

hahah but yeah - way too many hours wasted in the old days on CS and DOD. Good times. Never got into the competitive side of things, but those CAL dudes (and girls) are no joke.

yea i never went to source i did have DoD even way back then (started with CS during the 1.3 days) got like a halflife pack that had a bunch of stuff but i never tried DoD until about a month ago when i was bored and DoD was fun but having played CoD first i found it painful to not be able to aim down my sights especially with rifles like the kar but after i got the hang of it it was fun

Once you get used to "aiming down the sights" it's hard to go back to games that don't do that. I tried playing DoD for the first time in 3-4 years a few weeks ago and i couldn't hit anything :doh:

Its not that bad, Im still playing DOD:S just for realism. Ill join the steam group too.