Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Springfield 1911, common wear parts?

I've been more of a "hunting weapon" kinda guy for the majority of my life but when I turned 21 I decided to buy my first handgun, a Springfield 1911. Ever since then I find that I get more and more enjoyment out of shooting that than my 870 or .22 rifles. With that being said I'm afraid of wearing the gun down since I shoot 50-100 rounds every time out. What are the common areas to look for wear, and what should be replaced every x number of rounds as preventative maintenance?

Man don't worry. We shoot almost 300 rounds a weekend for Uspsa matches not including practice. in a few years you will need a recoil spring. If your gun runs a shock Buff they will get changed like once a year or when it looks all chewed up.

Just keep it clean and lubed and don't worry, Your Springfield will run for 200k plus rounds. Have fun

Replace any MIM parts. Been a while since I looked at a list of whats MIM on a springer but I bet you can find one quickly if your search fu is strong.

My experience w/ MIM parts is if they're good they'll last if they're going to break they'll break early on. So I don't know about replacing them right off the bat. I quess it might be wise.

Just keep in mind that replacing of fire control parts in a 1911 sometimes, most times, require fitting. And you need to know what you're doing.

Anything can break. I just believe in limiting that in parts with a higher probability when possible. Eliminating MIM parts is part of just about every smiths reliability package. It just wasnt designed to be built with squirt and jerk parts imo. Put it this way, I just ordered all the little parts for a build Im finishing up. If I back out some mags and the barrel, the bill is still over $500!

Shane

Thanks for the replies everyone... I may have to hit the range this weekend! :D

And excuse my ignorance but can anyone explain "MIM" to the FNG?

Metal Injection Molding

http://www.morgantechnicalceramics.com/ ... 01Redirect

Metal injection moulding (MIM) and ceramic injection moulding (CIM) are advanced net-shape processing technologies for the production of complex, high volume components. Together, these processes are known as powder injection moulding (PIM).

This advanced cost-saving process has been established for more than 20 years and you will find metal and ceramic injection molded parts used in all areas of life

I've been more of a "hunting weapon" kinda guy for the majority of my life but when I turned 21 I decided to buy my first handgun, a Springfield 1911. Ever since then I find that I get more and more enjoyment out of shooting that than my 870 or .22 rifles. With that being said I'm afraid of wearing the gun down since I shoot 50-100 rounds every time out. What are the common areas to look for wear, and what should be replaced every x number of rounds as preventative maintenance?

well, look who it is......small world.

guns arent cars. they dont need things like preventative maintenance. only if you shoot competitively, around 10K rounds per year, will things like barrels and springs wear out. there are more 100 year old guns with 100K+ rounds through them still shooting, bone stock, then there are 100 year old cars with 100K miles on them.

well, look who it is......small world.

guns arent cars. they dont need things like preventative maintenance. only if you shoot competitively, around 10K rounds per year, will things like barrels and springs wear out. there are more 100 year old guns with 100K+ rounds through them still shooting, bone stock, then there are 100 year old cars with 100K miles on them.

Lol wow look at that... Def a small world. How's the t/a treatin ya?

Anything can be made bad. Anything can be made good. It depends who's doing the making. In my opinion MIM has a greater potential to be made bad because its a budget part to begin with. However some manufacturers do great at making parts in a budget minded way. For example I will take a Caspian cast 1911 frame over many other makers "forged" frame. Why, because Caspian's caster has the process down pat and uses techniques that one could argue produce a stonger frame by controling its grain structure. I have read and chatted with Bill Caldwell at length on this subject. Id rather have a SAI M1A reciever over a Norinco even though the SAI is cast vs the Norinco that is "Forged". But Id take a LRB reciever over both a SAI or Norinco because its is forged RIGHT!!! MIM is to much of a crap shoot for me. I sinply will not invest 100's of hours in a pistol only to save 10 bucks on a part. I wont save 10 bucks on a part when the chances are greater it could fail me.

Shooting lead I doubt you would ever wear our a quality barrel. Throat erosion might be a factor after some real extensive shooting. Few ever get to that point. If it's working, then great. I made changes only after a problem developed.

As far as preventative maintenance, it isn't unneeded. Our Glock 23's have the Slide Lock spring replaced after a few thousand rounds. Failure of the spring will cause the slide to fall off. We know because it happened to me. Glocks are built for a price and the springs are not that hefty. For three dollars, it's cheap insurance and takes a minute, if that.

The NJ SP had to replace springs on their P7's when they had failures, the most newsworthy when a trooper died due to a malfunction years back. They all started being brought in for maintenance at that point until they could be replaced.

SIG offers routine maintenance for a reasonable price where the springs are all replaced and the firearm cleaned and checked. Probably an overkill outside of a handgun used professionally or carried daily.

Failure of the slide lock spring would allow the slide to fly forward.

But I've never heard of it happening. Though, GLOCK does reccommend keeping 10 on hand for every 100 guns in service.

rscalzo-what did you do to that poor pistol? :whistle:

But thanks for the heads-up. At $2 ea I'll keep a few around. BTW that part was redesigned and made of heavier stainless steel.

How long ago was that. Was it before all the gut's went to stainless? just interested.

But I've never heard of it happening

I never heard of it...until it happened to me!! Thankfully it happened on the line at a IDPA Competition. When I checked into it, it isn't uncommon with the G23 and G22. But once you are aware of the weakness, the changing of the spring is simple. I changed the Slide Lock over to a Lone Wolf. The department bought a supply as many still carry the S&W 2nd. and 3rd. Gen.

Nothing like drawing the handgun to load and watch the slide drop to the ground. This was after my new Sig P250 gave me fits (found to be my reloads slightly under length). All the guys from the Sig Academy were laughing until I told them it was a SIG. MANY offers to have it looked at the next day at the factory.....

But I'm not easy on my handguns. My reloads are hot and approximate factory loads as best I can. No sense using light loads . Fooling no one with those. But it takes it's toll on the gear.