zeenon

Conflicting recipes

So I'm looking to reload a box or two of .357 for my wifes S&W 686.

Nice thing is (at least in my mind) the bullets I get can be used in .38 special brass also. So I go hunting online for some Sierra 125 gr JHC/JHP with no luck, so I pull out the Lyman book (now I know why you buy a few) to see if I can try out another brand.

Same primers CCI 550 ok

Same powder Blue Dot ok

But the Sierra book lists 14.4 gr @ 1400 fps and I can go higher(Sierra bullets), the Lyman lists 13.3 gr @ 1402 AS THE MAX LOAD (Hornady bullets). The OAL is .005 diff.

So if I loaded 14 gr I would be well over the max load according to the Lyman book. Why is that?

Z

GOOD INFO, so 125gr bullets are out of the question when used with Blue Dot.

I'll go with the 158gr, still interested if anyone has the Hornady info for a 158gr bullet. I'd like to know if the data matches the Sierra book or Lyman book more.

Z

Nice thing is (at least in my mind) the bullets I get can be used in .38 special brass also. So I go hunting online for some Sierra 125 gr JHC/JHP with no luck, so I pull out the Lyman book (now I know why you buy a few) to see if I can try out another brand.

Same primers CCI 550 ok

Same powder Blue Dot ok

But the Sierra book lists 14.4 gr @ 1400 fps and I can go higher(Sierra bullets), the Lyman lists 13.3 gr @ 1402 AS THE MAX LOAD (Hornady bullets). The OAL is .005 diff.

So if I loaded 14 gr I would be well over the max load according to the Lyman book. Why is that?

Z

OK let's look at the variables. Air space in the case? Were they using the same cases? Different case volumns? Different test barrels? Don't get crazy...

Start at the lowest level and work up. Understand these Recipies are not a "how too" absolute. They are a guide and starting point. You need to watch for pressure signs and spend a $100 and buy a chrono. It will open your eyes, it did for me. If you want me to chrono your stuff let me know.

Same primers CCI 550 ok

Same powder Blue Dot ok

Z

Check this, I have never used Blue dot.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... ot-powder/

This is the reason for having more than one manual. There are variables for every recipe. Gun used, primer, lot # of the same powder, manufacturers bullet, temperatures etc. The good news is they are all conservative thanks too Lawyers. The thing to keep in mind when loading revolvers is barrel length. A lighter starting load in one manual may be from a 3 in barrel and be fine, where in a 6 in barrel may be a squib. All part of the learning curve. Read the manuals and ask questons.