New CMP NJ procedure

Got this email from CMP today:

On 12 April CMP representatives met with representatives of the NJ State Police and the NJ Attorney General's office. At issue was the fact that CMP customers were receiving rifles at their home and not from a firearms dealer licensed by the state. It was the opinion of the representatives of both the NJ State Police and the AG's office that NJ requires all firearm transactions be face to face and the transfer of a rifle be made to the customer by a NJ licensed dealer. Therefore, NJ residents cannot certify paragraph K on the CMP order form that reads: "I further certify that I will not be in violation, by reason of my receipt or possession of a rifle, of any state law or published ordinance applicable where I reside".

Effective immediately, rifles sold and shipped to NJ residents must be shipped to NJ licensed firearms dealers. Customers should provide CMP with copies of the dealer's FFL and NJ State license, along with the CMP order form.

This applies to all rifle orders we have already received and not yet shipped. Each of those customers will be contacted individually this week.

New Jersey residents who visit either CMP store may purchase and pick up rifles without the necessity of going through a NJ licensed dealer.

Orest Michaels

Chief Operating Officer

i got the same email today too

April 19, 2010

Mr. xxxxx,

On 12 April CMP representatives met with representatives of the NJ State Police and the NJ Attorney General's office. At issue was the fact that CMP customers were receiving rifles at their home and not from a firearms dealer licensed by the state. It was the opinion of the representatives of both the NJ State Police and the AG's office that NJ requires all firearm transactions be face to face and the transfer of a rifle be made to the customer by a NJ licensed dealer. Therefore, NJ residents cannot certify paragraph K on the CMP order form that reads: "I further certify that I will not be in violation, by reason of my receipt or possession of a rifle, of any state law or published ordinance applicable where I reside".

Effective immediately, rifles sold and shipped to NJ residents must be shipped to NJ licensed firearms dealers. Customers should provide CMP with copies of the dealer's FFL and NJ State license, along with the CMP order form. This applies to all rifle orders we have already received and not yet shipped.

We have already processed your order and the rifle is being held in suspense pending your response to this email. Please advise as to whether we should cancel the order and process a refund, or whether we should continue to hold the order pending your sending us the shipping information for a NJ licensed dealer. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience we may have caused, but the situation is beyond our control. Please send your response to Melody xxxx at [email protected] or fax to 256-832-1147.

New Jersey residents who visit either CMP store may purchase and pick up rifles without the necessity of going through a NJ licensed dealer.

Orest

Orest Michaels

Chief Operating Officer

where is the nra + anjrpc ? - these sales have been ongoing since before WWI with no problems - bet the nj dealers are not fighting it because of the transfer fees they are making -

where is the nra + anjrpc ? - these sales have been ongoing since before WWI with no problems - bet the nj dealers are not fighting it because of the transfer fees they are making -

I am hoping a FFL will take up the cause and do transfers without a transfer fee. only the NICS now that that needs to be done.

I am hoping a FFL will take up the cause and do transfers without a transfer fee. only the NICS now that that needs to be done.

I wouldn't count on it. They're rubbing their greedy little paws and I guarantee many of them are happy about this. :(

I was reading just earlier about the AZ constitutional carry bill, some of the biggest opposition to the bill? CCW instructors

http://www.examiner.com/x-38782-Tucson- ... ng-sources

I wouldn't count on it. They're rubbing their greedy little paws and I guarantee many of them are happy about this. :(

I was reading just earlier about the AZ constitutional carry bill, some of the biggest opposition to the bill? CCW instructors

http://www.examiner.com/x-38782-Tucson- ... ng-sources

yes.... because every ffl in the state just cares about themselves and out to screw everyone. :roll:

Seriously, I doubt CMP business would be less than 5% of the FFL's total business. FFL's survived before this, and I am sure they will be just fine after.

yes.... because every ffl in the state just cares about themselves and out to screw everyone. :roll:

Seriously, I doubt CMP business would be less than 5% of the FFL's total business. FFL's survived before this, and I am sure they will be just fine after.

They were here before CMP transfers and they'll be here after, but I'm sure they certainly won't mind charging for CMP transfers at full price.

We have a few nice FFLs like the guy who just posted but I guarantee the big shops could care less and will still want full fee for CMP transfers.

might be a stupid quesiton here, but why wouldnt you need to do this like any other rifle out there? i guess you can count me as one person who doesnt see the issue with this as much as with other things this state does.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a U.S. government-chartered program that promotes firearms safety training and rifle practice for all qualified U.S. citizens with special emphasis on youth. Any U.S. citizen who is not legally prohibited from owning a firearm may purchase a military surplus rifle from the CMP, provided they are a member of a CMP affiliated club.[1] The CMP operates through a network of affiliated shooting clubs and state associations that covers every state in the U.S. The clubs and associations offer firearms safety training and marksmanship courses as well as the opportunity for continued practice and competition.

The CMP has been providing surplus rifles and ammunition to qualifying civilians since 1903 - the majority of FFL transfer laws we are under today came about in 1968 and otherwise do not have any effect on the CMP.

It is a federal organization and the fact that NJ's AG can just spit in their face, and ours, with the stroke of a pen shows that our elected officials behave as though this state's residents are not residents of the United States but residents of their separate little system. It's a very deep gesture. It's basically a big "F-YOU" from the AG.

It's also sad that so far only one dealer has stepped up to help people out - I'll reserve judgement until I see definite answers from other vendors, but I can imagine which vendors will choose chump change fees over supporting the community.

No, nothing with C&R, the whole issue is apparently the NJAG and NJSP opinion now is that all firearms sales must be FtF with SOMEONE, and so since the CMP ships from out of state, they are supposed to ship to FFL now, so the FFL can see your NJFPID in person or something like that. I sent my NJFPID copy front and back when I did the paperwork for my M1. That was my way of Exhibiting required eligibility perthe NJ law. Maybe the AG & NJSP guys are peeing their panties with fear, -or a recent seizure of guns had a bunch of CMP stuff in there, who knows.

GOOD QUESTION!!!

My guess - THEY ARE PLANNING TO BAN THEM.

This will allow them to identify anyone who purchases one.

Remember - that bill to set up a commission to "review" New Jersey's Gun Laws - PACKED with anti-gun advocate appointees which is moving through the legislature.

Christie will sign it. He's a Republican in the mold of Rudy Giuliani - fiscally tough,law and order tough and liberal on certain social issues - like guns.

Wouldn't be surprised if he starts sending Jersey cops to gun shows out of state to monitor gun sales to residents or even bans them entirely.

Here what Mr Orest said regarding buying in the store and mailing:

in answer to the question - yes, you can come to the store, make a purchase and ask us to ship it your address in NJ. You will sign a statment that you have taken posession of the rifle in OH or AL and are now shipping it to yourself.