Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

AR Sling options.

Hello, I am at a bit of a loss here looking for slings for my AR-15. I have the standard sling loops on both the stock, under the sight, and one that is on the left side of my gas block.

What kind of sling options are out there? What does 1-pt, 2-pt, and 3-pt mean?

Hello, I am at a bit of a loss here looking for slings for my AR-15. I have the standard sling loops on both the stock, under the sight, and one that is on the left side of my gas block.

What kind of sling options are out there? What does 1-pt, 2-pt, and 3-pt mean?

Just wait for BBK to chime in....

the points is referring to the number of places it attaches to the rifle.

Haha, thanks Maks.

But Maks is right, the number refers to how many points of attachment it has to the rifle. Mel is also right, generally speaking. IMO, it comes down to preference.

As Mel pointed out, 1-pt are great in an applied situation where you need maneuverability, and possibly the need to switch shoulders on the fly. I like these, especially in the home, mostly because the sling will not get in the way when shouldered and the AR type rifle is light enough that its not a burden when slung. The negatives is that its the type of sling that's mostly for retention purposes, and not really a work-type sling.

2-pt are the classic/original design that a lot of people find comfortable-- especially if the rifle is kept slung for long amounts of time (hiking for example). I dig 2-pt slings, and for the casual person I would recommend it. Its comfortable, and, with the right type of sling, can perform the function that 1-pt slings just as well. A good example would be the Vickers 2-pt slings. Plus, with your current setup, you can easily attach a 2-pt sling without anything else really. The big negative to me is that if you need to shoulder the rifle when its slung, depending on what sling you get, you might have to go through an extra process as the sling would get tangled.

3-pt is an old school design. Most companies don't make 3-pt's anymore because its just too much material, and there are actually 2-pt slings that are functioning virtually the same way. 3-pt slings are the only type I wouldn't recommend.

I would recommend anything you find comfortable, keeping in mind what your use of the rifle is. I personally use my rifle for HD purposes, and use a 1-pt sling because of that. What I do stress is that people should have a sling no matter what. Whether you opt to braid one out of 550 or buy one, a sling is to a rifle what a holster is to a pistol.

As for brands: Blue Force Gear, Magpul, Gear Sector, Troy Industries, Blackhawk...

There are also smaller brands, but equally as durable. An old favorite of mine are the slings from Rocky Mountain Tactical.

Just remember that slings need correct sling attachments... so, just be weary of that, or you'll just have some material with no purpose.

Haha, thanks Maks.

But Maks is right, the number refers to how many points of attachment it has to the rifle. Mel is also right, generally speaking. IMO, it comes down to preference.

As Mel pointed out, 1-pt are great in an applied situation where you need maneuverability, and possibly the need to switch shoulders on the fly. I like these, especially in the home, mostly because the sling will not get in the way when shouldered and the AR type rifle is light enough that its not a burden when slung. The negatives is that its the type of sling that's mostly for retention purposes, and not really a work-type sling.

2-pt are the classic/original design that a lot of people find comfortable-- especially if the rifle is kept slung for long amounts of time (hiking for example). I dig 2-pt slings, and for the casual person I would recommend it. Its comfortable, and, with the right type of sling, can perform the function that 1-pt slings just as well. A good example would be the Vickers 2-pt slings. Plus, with your current setup, you can easily attach a 2-pt sling without anything else really. The big negative to me is that if you need to shoulder the rifle when its slung, depending on what sling you get, you might have to go through an extra process as the sling would get tangled.

3-pt is an old school design. Most companies don't make 3-pt's anymore because its just too much material, and there are actually 2-pt slings that are functioning virtually the same way. 3-pt slings are the only type I wouldn't recommend.

I would recommend anything you find comfortable, keeping in mind what your use of the rifle is. I personally use my rifle for HD purposes, and use a 1-pt sling because of that. What I do stress is that people should have a sling no matter what. Whether you opt to braid one out of 550 or buy one, a sling is to a rifle what a holster is to a pistol.

As for brands: Blue Force Gear, Magpul, Gear Sector, Troy Industries, Blackhawk...

There are also smaller brands, but equally as durable. An old favorite of mine are the slings from Rocky Mountain Tactical.

Just remember that slings need correct sling attachments... so, just be weary of that, or you'll just have some material with no purpose.

What are the different types of attachment?

The sling attachments depend wholly on the sling itself. I'll try to cover the bases, but no promises here...

If you wanted to go with what you have, depending on what type of stock you have, you could get something that works as simple as looping them through the sling attachment on the fore end and buttstock. This only applies if you have a stock telescoping buttstock with the slot, as shown here:

p_100003297_1.jpg

Otherwise there are universal adapters that simply loop on to the buffer tube portion of the butt stock, and then attach to the sling itself (normally through a clip)-- similar to this: http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... ng+Adapter

The more mainstream type of attachments are quick detach (QD) swivels and sling mounts that use slings with "hook" ends.

Example of QD swivel: http://tangodown.com/shop/index.php?cPa ... 7887867ee2

Example of sling mount that can use any type sling with an end that hooks in: http://store.magpul.com/product/mag500/100

I run the Tango Down QD swivel mount because, as Caine showed me, its a far better feature that allows for easy on/off-- plus it allows for full rotation, so the sling never gets snagged on itself.

Lots of useful info here, esp since Im currently looking for a 2pt sling for my S&W M&P15. My only issue is that my AR does not have a front sling attachment. The only things my search shows me are sling attachments for rails. Is there anything out there for basic handguards?

Lots of useful info here, esp since Im currently looking for a 2pt sling for my S&W M&P15. My only issue is that my AR does not have a front sling attachment. The only things my search shows me are sling attachments for rails. Is there anything out there for basic handguards?

What model M&P15 is it? If its the ORC then the larger hole under the gas block is for a sling quick disconnect like this one

jhs1970426:

- If you want to get one of the attachments that sit on the handguards, I would recommend getting the small rail portions that could be installed on the handguards themselves. The similar alternative to this is getting handguards that are more modular to attaching rail panels that are still cheap (if you aren't interested in investing in 200+ quad rails). I would suggest the Magpul MOE handguards: http://store.magpul.com/product/14/50 (Magpul has actually released their official mini-rails finally for the MOE handguards).

- Another alternative is if you have the MP15 ORC model, there is actually an insert at the bottom of the gas block where you can simply place a sling swivel (similar to: http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop ... oduct_id=6).

sw_mp_ar15_orc.jpg

Here's another shot (with the Magpul MOE handguards too). The swivel is attached on the lower portion of the gas block:

6f9c7429.jpg

RayRay- I'm honestly not that familiar with the ACE stocks. They do seem to have an A1/A2 design, and not utilize a castle nut-- which would immediately eliminate any type of sling mount that is made for telescoping stocks. However, companies like Troy Industries and Tango Down do make sling mounts (only in quick detach swivel form that I know of) for A1/A2-type stocks. From my understanding, the stocks do come with integrated sling swivels, but they look flimsy... but that's my speculation as I've never held one in my hands.

Either way, if you can get a mounting system that uses sling swivels, it would benefit you, even as a lefty, because those types of systems can attach on either side for any model by any company.

Well, figure out if you want to run a 1 or 2 pt sling first.

If you decide to run a 1pt sling first, try out the sling attachment that's included (as it will include the sling swivel as well). Since you're a lefty, you can just place the swivel on the right hand side (it'll make sense once its in your hands) so that the sling doesn't get in the way when you shoulder the rifle.

For a 2pt, it'll depend on your current set up. You could still utilize the sling swivel in the manner described above, and then use either the sling swivel included (if your model has one on it already), or buy an aftermarket sling attachment for the rails.

Those types of attachments are great, but only work if the rifle utilizes a castle nut (found in conjunction with telescoping stocks-- fixed or not). Seems like since its NJ, a lot of people opt to go with an A1/A2 type stocks that do not utilize a castle nut. If I still ran a stock that could use one of those, I would have used my Magpul ASAP in a heartbeat.

Blackhawk is a decent sling for the money. Nice thing about slings, IMO, they don't need to be anything crazy as long as they function and are [semi] durable.

Devs: There are too many to name. I would look into the Blue Force Gear Vickers slings-- expensive, but that brand really focuses on the 2 pt sling design... and apparently do it pretty well. There is always the classic slings... just google universal rifle sling. Those are pretty darn cheap, and function just fine. You can browse something like Bravo Company's list of slings (not all are 2 pt) to get an idea: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Tactical-Slings-s/62.htm