Sign in to follow this  
surfgod247

Nj handgun permit

So it has now been well over the 90 day mark and i am still waiting on my permits to come back. The thing that really gets me is i've been calling on a weekly basis this month and asking if there has been any update on my permit and this week the guy gave me some attitude for calling. The thing that worries me is that i had a family member get arrested for drugs and feel like this might be holding up my permit even though she doesn't live with me. I'm kinda at the point where i might even hire an attorney for help. My question is there anything i can do before i have to go that far that can help my situation and what is the cost for an attorney to make a call and get my permits?

Which town? Some towns are really bad about it, others not so much.

Wall township, my references were called about 3 weeks ago and the detective on the phone was very nice to me and was like I'm pretty much done with your application. I just don't understand how they get away with this, whats the point of NJ 30 day law if they don't have to follow it. I guess it aggravates me a little bit since i have two guns paid for that needs to be picked up.

If he was "done" with his part of it 3 weeks ago, I'd do as suggested above and give it two more weeks. Why did they sit on it for 2 months before contacting your references? Oh well, what can you do? It's really not worth it to pay an attorney.

Which town? Some towns are really bad about it, others not so much.

Wall township, my references were called about 3 weeks ago and the detective on the phone was very nice to me and was like I'm pretty much done with your application. I just don't understand how they get away with this, whats the point of NJ 30 day law if they don't have to follow it. I guess it aggravates me a little bit since i have two guns paid for that needs to be picked up.

They can do this because they don't have to give you a gun permit. You do not have the right to keep and bear arms. All guns are illegal to own in New Jersey. You are politely begging your government for the privilege to own a gun that fits within their desired criteria.

Remember what Darth Vader said to Lando? "I'm altering the deal - pray I don't alter it any further!"

In New Jersey, firearm owners are required to get a lifetime Firearm Purchaser card for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns as well as ammunition. To purchase a handgun, a separate permit is needed from the local police department for each handgun to be purchased and expires after 90 days. These, like the initial Firearms Identification card, require in-depth application questioning, multiple references and background checks via the State Bureau of Identification and New Jersey State Police. NJ law states that Firearms Identification approval and/or handgun purchase permit(s) must be issued within 30 days.

In New Jersey, firearm owners are required to get a lifetime Firearm Purchaser card for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns as well as ammunition. To purchase a handgun, a separate permit is needed from the local police department for each handgun to be purchased and expires after 90 days. These, like the initial Firearms Identification card, require in-depth application questioning, multiple references and background checks via the State Bureau of Identification and New Jersey State Police. NJ law states that Firearms Identification approval and/or handgun purchase permit(s) must be issued within 30 days.

Case law has proven that the law does not need to be followed...

Case law has proven that the law does not need to be followed...

Hence the need of a lawyer in some cases to ensure the law is followed and our rights upheld, but good point tho Dan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution The Constitution of the United States of America is the supreme law of the United States. It is the foundation and source of the legal authority underlying the existence of the United States of America and the federal government of the United States. It provides the framework for the organization of the United States government and for the relationship of the federal government to the states, to citizens, and to all people within the United States. We can go back and forth ALL DAY! I strongly Dis-Agree with your opinion NJ86!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution The Constitution of the United States of America is the supreme law of the United States. It is the foundation and source of the legal authority underlying the existence of the United States of America and the federal government of the United States. It provides the framework for the organization of the United States government and for the relationship of the federal government to the states, to citizens, and to all people within the United States. We can go back and forth ALL DAY! I strongly Dis-Agree with your opinion NJ86!

That means diddly squat in New Jersey. The day this state readily grants any law abiding citizen the right to carry a firearm (or purchase more than 1 handgun a month without needing a "permission slip") is the day i will agree with you.

Is owning a gun a privilege or a right?

If you want to buy a new gun you have to get permission from the government to buy it via the Brady Bill check, further proof that owning a gun is a privilege, not a right.

If the government determines that your scum and your no longer fit to own a gun they will come to your home and seize your guns. Further proof that owning a gun is a privilege, not a right. This is what happened when Secret Service got Kevin Walsh declared mentally ill. The day after the judge declared Kevin mentally ill the Secret Service and Phoenix police went to his home and seized his guns.

If you want to own some guns like a machine gun or a sawed off shotgun you have to get permission from the government and pay a tax, along with registering a gun. More proof that owning a gun is not a right but a privilege.

If you want to open a store that sells guns you also have to get permission from the government to do that. More proof that owning a gun is a privilege, not a right.

Most of the people on this list will incorrectly say that owning a gun is a right, not a privilege because of the Second Amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

But that is pretty much rubbish. For 200 plus years government tyrants have been passing laws that have pretty much flushed the Second Amendment down the toilet.

While 200 years ago you may have had the right to keep and bear arms, you no longer have the right to keep and bear arms with out the permission any more then you have the right to rob a liquor store.

If you own a gun with out the permission of the government you will be jailed just like you would be jailed if you robbed a liquor store.

You're not disagreeing with my opinion - you're disagreeing with simple facts. We can't go back and forth all day, there's nothing to go back and forth about...you're flat out wrong. It's not a matter of opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporat ... _of_Rights

The Second Amendment has not been incorporated to state and local government yet. At this point in time, it restricts only the Federal government. Therefore, six states do not have the right to keep and bear arms, and it is thus merely a privilege in these locations. This July, depending on the outcome of the McDonald case, this may no longer be the case.

This is, of course, aside from the laughable notion that if you think somehow that waiting several months for permission from the police, requiring references, to own a certain criteria of weapons, some of which may only be purchased once a month and registered, and thereafter may not leave the house except for direct trips to a range, hunting, etc. under lock and key, and in no circumstances may you carry on your person or vehicle for self defense in a public place, is somehow a right. You don't need permission to do something that is your right.

You don't have the right to keep and bear arms in NJ. It is silly to pretend you somehow do. Sorry.

So it has now been well over the 90 day mark and i am still waiting on my permits to come back. The thing that really gets me is i've been calling on a weekly basis this month and asking if there has been any update on my permit and this week the guy gave me some attitude for calling. The thing that worries me is that i had a family member get arrested for drugs and feel like this might be holding up my permit even though she doesn't live with me. I'm kinda at the point where i might even hire an attorney for help. My question is there anything i can do before i have to go that far that can help my situation and what is the cost for an attorney to make a call and get my permits?

90 days is not unheard of. It is reality. Most towns do not have someone full time to deal with pistol permits and firearm ID's. that is where we are.

Best you can do is to politely call once a week to check up on them.

Yes, you can hire a lawyer, and yes, you can be a douche. At the end of the day, you will get your FID and permits faster, but at what cost?

Luckily, you only get your FID once. Make sure to plan your purchases and request multiple permits at a time. You do this twice a year. Get 6 permits, and use them up. In 3 months, go get them extended.

As far as the other topics, keep it on topic, or take it to the politics section.

patience some towns it takes 6 months .its a one time process ,yes it is frustrating.no reason to spend money on lawyer for something your gonna get as soon as the background check is complete.keep that money for your purchases.keep us updated.

I would keep calling them every week for a few more weeks. If by then, if you still cant get an acceptable excuse, then contact a lawyer. I had two wait about 90 days before I got my FPID and 1 handgun permit. If you dont keep on top of them, they will never do it. My brother had the worst experience getting his FPID that I have ever heard of. They delayed him for about 8 months, before he annoyed them enough to deny him based on a restraining order that he had expunged already. Mind you the restraining order was based on a verbal threat, however the PD used that as a history of domestic violence. He hired a lawyer and they filed an appeal, which he won. The Judge ruled that a restraining order does not, in itself, constitute a history of domestic violence. So after thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and over a year later he got his FPID and hand gun permits.

patience some towns it takes 6 months .its a one time process ,yes it is frustrating.no reason to spend money on lawyer for something your gonna get as soon as the background check is complete.keep that money for your purchases.keep us updated.

Well this isn't my fid card I'm talking about, I already have a fid card, This is simply 3 handgun permits that has taken longer then any other thing involving permits that I have done before.

All of this is very unique to NJ...out west residents of the USA dont really heed the government...think about how much control NJ has over you...in general...