Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Russian Special Forces Storm Oil Tanker From Helicopter, Fre

Russian Special Forces Storm Oil Tanker From Helicopter, Free Crew and Arrest Somali Pirates

Nice, swift, and didn't waste any time. If more nations would respond in such a way, piracy would be done fairly quick.

If the pirates knew that there was even a 50% chance they would get killed by special forces, I am guessing they would second guess.

Associated Press

ABOARD THE SWEDISH WARSHIP CARLSKRONA

Nice, swift, and didn't waste any time. If more nations would respond in such a way, piracy would be done fairly quick.

If the pirates knew that there was even a 50% chance they would get killed by special forces, I am guessing they would second guess.

i might be in the minority here, but i say F**k the pirates! shoot to kill and dump the bodies overboard! people working the ships are just trying to make a decent living and should not be threatened by these f**kers, i don't care how bad their situation is in their country.

I believe the Dutch took the lead on this last week and boarded a ship without approval of the EU Command. It is the only way to go if you are not going to allow the crew to defend themselves with small arms. Board ship, find Pirates and light them up.

The interesting thing about the somali pirate situation is how many in the shipping industry almost unanimously agree that they do not want weapons on board. You never hear what the sailors think.

The idea of, or rather the more widespread use of safe room in the ships, I believe is new. If this is the case I beieve there will be more SF ops onto hijacked ships.

Most ops rarely reach the point of boarding because the Somalis care more for the goods then the hostages. There has been an upward trend in the last few years where the Somalis put more emphasis on the hostages then the cargo-- but, historically, the pirates hold hostages to bleed out extra money.

Most boarding ops is because the hostages are in primary danger or the cargo is sensitive material.

I worked in a section that focused on this stuff (commercial maritime analysis) for a few years, and this piracy stuff is child's play. Keeping them at bay is one thing, but if a company is going to risk going through those waters-- that is their choice. Most of the "mother ships" are more like flotillas, and otherwise these guys are doing some old-school pirating in antique boats... hardly posing a risk beyond the range of their boats.

I'm personally waiting for the day when these pirates stupidly board/take an NK or Iranian vessel, hahaha.

Make them walk the plank!!!

I agree.. maybe tie a rope around their necks before they go overboard, you know.. just so we don't lose them or anything.. ;)

Make them walk the plank!!!

I'm pretty sure that's what the Russians did. Apparently, there were a few "legal glitches," so the pirates had to be "set free." Why do I not see Russians "setting free" any pirate-type criminal? My money is that the skinnies got swimming lessons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100507/ap_ ... /eu_piracy

MOSCOW

soooo.. you think they have a special area reserved for "processing" all "released" criminals... :)

here is a slight change of topic. I had heard but not read about Russian frieghters being chartered to guys that wanted to be pirate hunters. Basically a hunting expedition. A bunch of guys hiding as they limped through the area waiting to be attacked so as to pop the ultimate surprise.

Has anyone heard of this? A few people I work with mentiuoned it but I haven't come across the news story.

here is a slight change of topic. I had heard but not read about Russian frieghters being chartered to guys that wanted to be pirate hunters. Basically a hunting expedition. A bunch of guys hiding as they limped through the area waiting to be attacked so as to pop the ultimate surprise.

Has anyone heard of this? A few people I work with mentiuoned it but I haven't come across the news story.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1455&hilit=cruises ;)