Matt

How much better is the accuracy of a bolt 308 compared to

At what range???

A bolt gun is inherently more accurate due to design factors (trigger, tolerances, stock bedding), but unless you are an olympic shooter or trained sniper I doubt you (or I or most any civie shooter for that matter) will ever be able to tell the difference personally. Your accuracy will depend more on the glass and mount then gun.

I think most people can work a semi to about the same levels of accuracy as a bolt at ranges less then 500yds. Beyond 500-600yds I want a bolt action, but that is me. Heck... I want a bolt action beyond 100 yards. I tend to take more time with a bolt and make sure my aim is on.

Unless you are a reloader, you will probably want a bolt action in 308 just because the ammo is so damn expensive. I know I tend to go through a lot more ammo with my semi-autos.

In 223 it doesn't matter quite as much because ammo is more reasonably priced.

As for accuracy, the Rock River AR Varmint A4 223 I had wouldn't take a back seat to a bolt action rifle at 100-200 yards. Further than that, I don't know if that would be true or not.

Bolt guns are easier to shoot over semi's. With a semi, your technique needs to be flawless. A bolt gun is more forgiving. Add to that that some semi's seem to have an issue with the first round fired. Both my bolt and my semi are well under sub moa shooters. Both are custom rigs. Both are better than me. An M1A would not be my choice for an accurate semi. It takles a lot to obtain and maintain accuracy on that platform and optics mounting is not the easiest either. An Armalite AR10T would be a very good starting point in the sub 2k catagory (rifle only).

What is the accuracy/distance/energy on target you are trying to achieve?

Bolt guns are easier to shoot over semi's. With a semi, your technique needs to be flawless. A bolt gun is more forgiving. Add to that that some semi's seem to have an issue with the first round fired. Both my bolt and my semi are well under sub moa shooters. Both are custom rigs. Both are better than me. An M1A would not be my choice for an accurate semi. It takles a lot to obtain and maintain accuracy on that platform and optics mounting is not the easiest either. An Armalite AR10T would be a very good starting point in the sub 2k catagory (rifle only).

What is the accuracy/distance/energy on target you are trying to achieve?

Not a question that effects me personally, I've never even shot a rifle in fact, was just curious about it

I've never even shot a rifle in fact, was just curious about it

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just bought a 10/22 to learn! give me time!

If you're like me, you'll catch the accuracy bug, then start selling excess pistols to buy pistol caliber carbines, then finally real rifles.

Give it time Grasshopper.

Bolt pros:

Easy to clean

Easy to maintain

Easy to accurize

Easy and much more flexable to reload for

Not ammo picky at all

More accurate and powerfull (especially if you reload, you dont want to push max loads through an auto!)

Action lasts forever

Cons: Doesnt shoot as fast.

You can see where I stand!

Bolt pros:

Easy to clean

Easy to maintain

Easy to accurize

Easy and much more flexable to reload for

Not ammo picky at all

More accurate and powerfull (especially if you reload, you dont want to push max loads through an auto!)

Action lasts forever

Cons: Doesnt shoot as fast.

You can see where I stand!

To add on to your cons, if the zombies come a semi will be your best friend!

To add on to your cons, if the zombies come a semi will be your best friend!

You may want to check your ZSG again your best friend as far as firearms go will be a surplus war horse because it will double as a melee weapon once you run out of ammo. :deadhorse: pretend the horse is a zombie and the bat is a garand although i guess that is a semi so your still right