zeenon

Cleaning brass

I admit I had to try the SS media everyone is raving about. Dumped 5 lbs of media, a 9mm case of lemishine, 44 mag case of ivory dish soap, water, and about 125 308 cases into the tumbler for 4 hrs exactly. I'll never go back to the corn cob media/vib cleaner.

SSMEDIA1.JPG

SSMEDIA2.JPG

SSMEDIA3.JPG

SSMEDIA4.JPG

SSMEDIA5.JPG

SSMEDIA6.JPG

SSMEDIA7.JPG

Z

Stainless Steel media ~$50 for 5lbs and it lasts forever. I went this route because I hated the dust the corn cob produced.

I did nothing to the primer pocket. That is the beauty....it cleans outside, inside and the pocket.

More info: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1819348&page=1

Z

Maks,

I only bought 5 lbs from the source on snipershide. (5lbs is all you need for the tumbler)

The catch is you need a tumbler and the media, but now I can tumble inside the house.

That guy is also the cheapest I've seen, and I've looked at a couple places (web sites for polishing rocks)

Z

First, it's not the cheapest solution but the results are top notch and (for me) no more dust in the house.

If you want to join the madness here is what you'll need:

1) A tumbler (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4506.html)

~$170 This is the high speed version, and not the same version cabela's has. If you get the cabela's version it will work, you just need to tumble longer.

2) SS Media. ~$50 for 5lbs

3) Lemishine. $3 next to the cascade at Target/Walmart

4) Ivory dish soap $3

5) A magnet

6) A 9mm case and 44 mag case. These are the perfect measurements for the lemishine and ivory soap. Too much lemishine and the cases will turn pink, too much soap and it will look like an over flowing washer.

7) A drier built from a steel or plastic ammo can.

I don't have any steel ammo boxes but had a ton of the Cabela plastic ammo boxes from past ammo orders. I used a $6 120V fan (Target), $3 gutter guard (HD), $2 light fixture (HD), and a 75 watt bulb. Toss the brass into the drier for ~1hr or lay it out on a towel to dry.

DRY1.JPG

DRY2.JPG

DRY3.JPG

Z

Really beautiful cases... But I don't think it's worth it. And I really don't know what you folks are talking about with the dust. A little dope(media conditioner or Newshine) and a dryer sheet and I don't have any dust.

Send me some cases, I'll convert you :) hahahaha

The initial out lay is steep but different strokes for different folks.

1) I no longer have to manually clean the primer pockets

2) Never have to buy media again

3) 4 hrs max on the tumbler (+ 1 hr dry time) vs 8 hrs on the vib.

4) Matt can have pink brass if he likes.

5) I'm not sure this would make a diff to me but, cleans the inside carbon build up...thus increasing case life.

Vib cleaner $50, media $10/year, media separator $30...so it's a little more then double what the conventional method goes for.

Z

Send me some cases, I'll convert you :) hahahaha

The initial out lay is steep but different strokes for different folks.

1) I no longer have to manually clean the primer pockets With my progressive press I deprime after tumbling.

2) Never have to buy media again

3) 4 hrs max on the tumbler (+ 1 hr dry time) vs 8 hrs on the vib. If I tumble for 8hrs it means I fell asleep

4) Matt can have pink brass if he likes.Understandable!

5) I'm not sure this would make a diff to me but, cleans the inside carbon build up...thus increasing case life.I wonder if it actually shortens case life, when the harder than brass stainless peens and effectively surface hardens the cases thus leading to premature cracking

Vib cleaner $50, media $10/year, media separator $30...so it's a little more then double what the conventional method goes for.

Z

Just being the devil's advocate!

I have done about 8 tumbles so far of (100-125 per tumble) .308 range brass and had one case that had the pins jammed in the primer hole. 1 out of ~900+ isn't bad :).

I should be starting the .223 cases I have this weekend so I'll report back.

I have to say, the videos on SH really make it look more complicated then it is. Throw in the media, throw in the brass, water to 1 1/2" below rim, lemishine, ivory soap, and tumble for 4 hrs.

Stick the tumbler in the sink, run fresh water, and pull the cases (neck down) out and onto a towel. Dry. I thought for sure pieces of media would be sticking to the inside of the cases when wet, and I'd be recovering bits of media when reloading, but they slide right out when removing the cases from the water.

Z

I admit I had to try the SS media everyone is raving about. Dumped 5 lbs of media, a 9mm case of lemishine, 44 mag case of ivory dish soap, water, and about 125 308 cases into the tumbler for 4 hrs exactly. I'll never go back to the corn cob media/vib cleaner.

I wonder if this place sells what you got?

http://www.shorinternational.com/TumblingMedia.htm

$35 for 5lbs, and right here in NJ...

$35 per pound when you buy 5lbs = $175

$20 per pound when you buy 10lbs = $200

Z

Oh S***! :o

Guess I read that one wrong..... :shock:

1) any word on the .223's regarding media being jammed inside?

2) can you send me contact info for the guy selling this SS media?

CGB,

I've since tumbled .40S&W, .38 SPL, .357 mag and .223 and had no issues. I bought the Lee universal deprimer, so I deprime the dirty brass then clean. I bought 1000 pcs of .223 and 1000 pcs of .308 range brass so I've done well over 2800+ pieces of brass so far and only had to pull the media out of the primer pocket on 2 .308 cases so far. PM me your email address and I'll send the word doc over.

Z