Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Sparta Trap - Sunday, 6/6

I SHOULD be there. Keep your fingers crosses for a laughing session!!

I don't do crosses, and I don't have enough fingers for a Star of David.

See ya Sunday. Or not.

I'm rowing in the morning and then I'm free for the rest of the day.

Ken what time and where should I meet you b/c I don't know where I'm going.

M

What direction are you coming from?

I'll be heading up 23 north I'm assuming. I'm before canistear on 23.

M

23 to 517 south...the traffic light at the bottom of the mountain.

Follow 517 south for 5 miles or so to traffic light, make a right on station road...follow around to left...if you go under a railroad bridge...you went too far. Turn right just before that...follow "gravel parkinglot" past lumber yard...make left at last building, cross tracks..park.

http://tinyurl.com/257k778

See map...drive through lumber yard and cross over at the end...you can see the trap field.

I'll be heading up 23 north I'm assuming. I'm before canistear on 23.

M

23 to 517 south...the traffic light at the bottom of the mountain.

Follow 517 south for 5 miles or so to traffic light, make a right on station road...follow around to left...if you go under a railroad bridge...you went too far. Turn right just before that...follow "gravel parkinglot" past lumber yard...make left at last building, cross tracks..park.

http://tinyurl.com/257k778

See map...drive through lumber yard and cross over at the end...you can see the trap field.

Replace "lumber yard" with "dilapidated industrial property". It works better that way.

Ok, I understand now...

from a different post

we're meeting in the parking lot at Kuiken Bros. lumber yard on Rt. 517 in Ogdensburg at 2:00pm.

I realize now, you meant up the road a ways on 517....not the dumpy run down POS scrap iron buildings and falling in warehouse yard.

Just a couple of comments:

The left off of 23 on to 517 will put you going through Ogdensburg. Obey the speed limit signs. That's their only source of revenue, and they'll happily pull you over for 5 over posted.

If you're on 517 and you cross rt 15, you went a couple of hundred yards too far. Station Road is the last light before the rt 15 interchange. There's a park on the right. After you make the right, just keep going past the park and a house or 2.

Mark mentioned this already. If you're on station road and you go under the trestle into downtown Sparta, you went too far. The turn is into what looks like the parking lot of a small commercial building with a sign that reads C-Tech, or something like that, immediately before the underpass.

Just a couple of comments:

The left off of 23 on to 517 will put you going through Ogdensburg. Obey the speed limit signs. That's their only source of revenue, and they'll happily pull you over for 5 over posted.

If you're on 517 and you cross rt 15, you went a couple of hundred yards too far. Station Road is the last light before the rt 15 interchange. There's a park on the right. After you make the right, just keep going past the park and a house or 2.

Mark mentioned this already. If you're on station road and you go under the trestle into downtown Sparta, you went too far. The turn is into what looks like the parking lot of a small commercial building with a sign that reads C-Tech, or something like that, immediately before the underpass.

Then - go past the Superfund site...

The sky opened up, we got soaked getting to the car, drove 5 minutes toward home when the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Turned around and went to Cherry Ridge for a couple of hours on the silo range. We sighted in Jordan's new rifle (which is really nice, BTW), and then went through another 300 or so rounds. The RO said that when the rain started, everyone rushed out of the place. When we got there, there were more ROs than shooters, and in the couple of hours we were there, nobody else showed up on the silo range.

All in all, a really nice day, despite the rain.

The sky opened up, we got soaked getting to the car, drove 5 minutes toward home when the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Turned around and went to Cherry Ridge for a couple of hours on the silo range. We sighted in Jordan's new rifle (which is really nice, BTW), and then went through another 300 or so rounds. The RO said that when the rain started, everyone rushed out of the place. When we got there, there were more ROs than shooters, and in the couple of hours we were there, nobody else showed up on the silo range.

All in all, a really nice day, despite the rain.

that 597 is the one that sorta looks like an AR?

Nah, just a regular rifle. Nothing fancy about it. H stopped at WalMart on the way hone from CR and bought one of those cheapo bipods. I think that's all the tacticool he wants to go on the gun. Shoots really nice, though.

Where can I find more info about this Sparta Trap? Are there hours of operation? Is it a club that must be joined?

1. Right here ;)

2. Hours ... Sunday at 1 when Ken goes...at least to start. It's only open on Sunday and Tuesday...Sunday may be the non-member time though.

3. There is a club...it doesn't need to be joined to shoot afternoon trap on Sunday. If you want to do Wobble, Skeet and compete with a bunch of guys that have been doing it for 30 years, you'll need to join the club and know them for a bit first.