Sign in to follow this  
lexcruiser

How many of you use ammo storage tins?

I bought some bulk ammo using the Cabelas link ($5 shipping! FTW!!) and it'll come with the free storage box (ammo is backordered tho.. FTL).

It'll be the first time I'm "storing" that much ammo in my house, so I was curious how you guys keep the ammo inside the case.

Do you leave them in boxes the rounds come in, then put it into the storage box / tin like this?

Or do you dump everything out of the boxes and into the storage box / tin like this?

Does it make a difference?

I use ammo cans and dump everything into them. I try to get bulk ammo when I can and it all goes into a can. The exceptions being non target rounds, they stay in the original box and my 308 ammo. I have a long range target rifle and I keep the ammo in it's boxes and try to get the same manufacturer and lot number when possible (I have shot 2" groups at 300 yards with this rifle and I like to adjust the scope as little as possible).

I have one of those plastic cabelas bins... it got a place for a lock, but you can easily open it and take crap out with the lock on the lid. It has a seal on there which I think probably does a decent job sealing when its all closed up. Why not use it if you got it. I just got a 1000rd box of loose 9mm that I loaded up in old boxes... makes keeping track of how much you are shooting a little easier...

I keep all of my ammo in dry boxes or ammo cans, old and new. I have some calibers loose in some cans, but most are nicely organized in their original boxes. Plus its easier to manage boxes when I go to the range, instead of having to fill up bags of loose ammo or whatever you would do in that case.

Whenever Cabelas has their $7.99 sale on their ammo boxes, you bet I stock up.