Solscud007

Moving to NJ from Pittsburgh

Hey guys, I joined to find out as much as I can about NJ firearm laws as my fiancee and I are moving to Mahwah NJ in a month or two.

I have two firearms that I want to bring with me.

Kriss Super V and my Glock 21.

for those not familiar with the Kriss Super V, it is a 45 acp rifle that uses glock 21 mags.

My friend said that magazines over 10 rds are illegal in NJ. is this true? does that apply to handguns and long guns?

he is wrong. it is magazines over 15 rounds.

NJ is special as most other states are 10 rounders. We do have a 15 round cap. Check around as there are other people who posted recently about moving to nj.

welcome!

so why are you moving to nj?

Not that many that i can think of. The one I go to is in West Mifflin nearby the Century III shopping center.

It is called anthony arms. the range is below ground.

http://www.anthonyarms.com/

My fiancee accepted a job offer in Mahwah, NJ. Company called TSL by AMETEK they make special electron microscopes.

what are the laws on folding stocks? SBR? I left my Kriss Super V stock with the 16" barrel. but it comes factory with a folding stock. Do i need to do something about that?

Any magazine that is designed to feed ammunition into a semi-automatic gun cannot be over 15 rounds as others have stated.

Glock 21 with stock mags is perfectly fine in NJ.

Kriss Super V - ???

I assume it has a 16" barrel? No threaded barrel?

As far as I can tell, it is OK, but I'm not a lawyer or dealer. IMO, it doesn't have a conspicuous pistol grip, and your 1 evil feature could be the folding stock. But as I said, take that advice with as much value as you paid for it.

We have a list of banned assault weapons, and basically, if a gun is substantially similar to a named assault weapon, then the evil features list applies. Something like the Kriss is new enough to not be named, so its somewhat up for debate whether or not the evil features list applies. This has been a somewhat hot topic here lately on the board. Most guys stay on the side of caution because there is very little or no case law that exists.

Here is the state statue for your review: http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/06240 ... 13ch54.pdf.

Once you get here, you DO NOT have to register your guns. You are the legal owner and you can bring your property to your new residence assuming they are legal. You can also bring them to the range and back home.

If you plan to buy pistol Ammo In-state or shoot a lot, it would probably benefit you to apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. According to the letter of the law, with the FPID card, you can transport an unloaded long arm without exemptions, and can buy pistol ammo in person.

Sorry I was typing that response as you posted.

As far as your question about an SBR in NJ.... *laughs so hard that he falls off chair*.. basically unless you are law enforcement officer with official paperwork for on-duty usage, you aren't getting that..

You COULD pin the stock open and have absolutely no question whether or not the rifle is legal, but I know that thing is expensive, and like I said, IMO, it is legal.

It is sad that questions like these are opinions really.

There are some folk on this forum (Shane45!) who have or had a Kriss. As for the folding stock, probably be best to go with a fixed stock option; probably be best to link up with other people who currently have one here in NJ to get a better idea.

So, welcome!

Thanks guys. TDI makes an adapter that pins the stock open. I may get that. I rarely fold the stock anyway.

I searched for "Kriss" earlier and saw that thread that Shane posted in. I sent him a PM.

Ok so here is a question, you will prolly laugh again, if I SBR my Kriss here in PA first before moving, can I has it in NJ? Probably not but just have to ask these questions or I dont know.

Thanks guys. TDI makes an adapter that pins the stock open. I may get that. I rarely fold the stock anyway.

I searched for "Kriss" earlier and saw that thread that Shane posted in. I sent him a PM.

Ok so here is a question, you will prolly laugh again, if I SBR my Kriss here in PA first before moving, can I has it in NJ? Probably not but just have to ask these questions or I dont know.

If you SBR your Kriss, you will have to sell it before you move here. Pin the stock before you come, and you should be good to go.

btw, welcome aboard

Jersey will give you headaches, with more than gun laws... if you could find a place in NY state your life would be easier and cheaper.

Welcome to NJ if you come. I am not far from Mahwah, when you get here

:hand:

Hmm interesting. I may entertain living in NY. Can you recommend areas that are good in that area?

Some of NY's laws are worse than ours (pre-ban vs post ban mags), but it is possible to eventually get a CCW permit.

+1. There's plus and minuses. Both states suck as far as gun laws and they're trying to ram through more junk in NY all the time. I would suggest you live in the same state you work. I worked in Manhattan for a number of years while living in NJ and got hosed by both states. Even after I stopped working in NY for 5 years, they "revised" the tax codes and got me for 100 bucks for 97...then 3 months later for 98...my 99 taxes showed they OWED me $65...I applied for a refund but was told it was beyond statue of limitations. In other words...they waited till they could hose me if I owed but if I were owed money, I couldn't claim it. Eff NY.