Sign in to follow this  
rifleman

HVAC advice wanted

17 year old 3 1/2 ton system. Siding guy nailed thru the copper line from the condenser to the A-coil. The A-coil looks corroded & the pan is shot. Would it be better to fix the line & add R12 $900 or bite the muzzle and put in a new compressor & condenser & A-coil for $7000?

Unfortunately, I already know the answer to this question.

Comments?

17 year old 3 1/2 ton system. Siding guy nailed thru the copper line from the condenser to the A-coil. The A-coil looks corroded & the pan is shot. Would it be better to fix the line & add R12 $900 or bite the muzzle and put in a new compressor & condenser & A-coil for $7000?

Comments?

1) You can do better than 7k.

2) Replace and take the energy savings to the bank!

For 7k, I would expect a new furnace, a new coil and a new condensing unit, and a little more. Check to make sure that you are getting high efficiency equipment on the new stuff. There are rebates available...

Comments?

For 7k, I would expect a new furnace, a new coil and a new condensing unit, and a little more. Check to make sure that you are getting high efficiency equipment on the new stuff. There are rebates available...

+1 I still do HVAC on the side, 3.5 ton 13 SEER with a standard TXV evap is not 7K! Even if your buying Carrier (#1 Nation wide w/the best warranty on the market) the only way your gonna get close to 7K would be a 2 stage 410a Puron condenser above 16 SEER w/HE TXV coil and line set. Trane,Carrier,Reem/Ruud & York are the good guys. Stay away from Goodman,Janitrol,Fedders and junk like that. Low cost but you get what you pay for...alot of headaches and Nickel & Diming later.

+1 I still do HVAC on the side, 3.5 ton 13 SEER with a standard TXV evap is not 7K! Even if your buying Carrier (#1 Nation wide w/the best warranty on the market) the only way your gonna get close to 7K would be a 2 stage 410a Puron condenser above 16 SEER w/HE TXV coil and line set. Trane, Carrier, Rheem/Ruud & York are the good guys. Stay away from Goodman, Janitrol, Fedders and junk like that. Low cost but you get what you pay for...alot of headaches and Nickel & Diming later.

I also like Lennox for their Hi Eff Furnaces with variable speed fans - but again, more money.

Comments?

you get what you pay for im in the hvac field was a service tech for 6 years and now in sales....there alot involved with replacement and to dump and money into that system is like digging a hole in your back yard and throwing it away.....now 7 is a average price for a good brand machine lennox, carrier, trane too high for any other brand. now keep in mind right now there are alot of incentives out there to get better equipment that will not ust heat and cool your home but keep you more comfotable. im not trying to sell u a new system but there are system out there that will remove alot more humidty, use alot less electric and give you a great warranty as well. make sure the do proper duct work, sizing, replace copper lines(line set) new pad and disconnect. any questions pm me

MARTIN ----you doing it on the side is not the same as a company..... for the right install with a reputable company its more, for good equipment its more. yeah someone will do an install on the side charge you 4 grand and you get zero warranty(90 days best) voids equipment factory warranty, and zero rebates. i understand helping someone out but as i tech i have been out on a 2 year old system that the duct work is messed up and cause mayor energy effiency and mechanical problems and i look at install and say im sorry but its another 2 gs to fix this when it should have been done from get go

Let's put this in perspective with REAL numbers:

I was quoted $13,200 for TWO COMPLETE systems in new construction with a residential kitchen exhaust. Ducts and units, soup to nuts. Including flues.

Yes, it was the lowest of three quotes, but like I said, soup to nuts, NEW new construction. Highest quote was about 15k...

Again though, that was with ductwork, registers, refrigerant piping and insulation, furnaces, a coils...

If your quote of $7k is just for A coil and condensing unit - you are getting bent over, PERIOD.

OR - better yet, Martin and I will do it for $6900 ;) We need the money to support our Constitutional Right Habit. :lol:

The 7k guy was a Carrier w/2 stage 410a Puron condenser above 16 SEER w/HE TXV coil and line set.

I gave the job to another guy: 3 1/2 ton Rheem- same as existing, 4 ton air handler, pad & pan 13 SEER (no rebate) $4600. I have to run 12g 220VAC to the attic but that is easy.

Thanks all for the comments. I also got a 3 week, $9600 before rebate quote that was discarded.

There will be a very nice, small safe posted in Marketplace to help pay for this.

Let's put this in perspective with REAL numbers:

I was quoted $13,200 for TWO COMPLETE systems in new construction with a residential kitchen exhaust. Ducts and units, soup to nuts. Including flues.

Yes, it was the lowest of three quotes, but like I said, soup to nuts, NEW new construction. Highest quote was about 15k...

Again though, that was with ductwork, registers, refrigerant piping and insulation, furnaces, a coils...

If your quote of $7k is just for A coil and condensing unit - you are getting bent over, PERIOD.

OR - better yet, Martin and I will do it for $6900 ;) We need the money to support our Constitutional Right Habit. :lol:

+1 My man djg0770...LMAO you got that Sh*t rite! :clap: :mrgreen:

The 7k guy was a Carrier w/2 stage 410a Puron condenser above 16 SEER w/HE TXV coil and line set.

I gave the job to another guy: 3 1/2 ton Rheem- same as existing, 4 ton air handler, pad & pan 13 SEER (no rebate) $4600. I have to run 12g 220VAC to the attic but that is easy.

Thanks all for the comments. I also got a 3 week, $9600 before rebate quote that was discarded.

There will be a very nice, small safe posted in Marketplace to help pay for this.

Good deal. :text-+1: Thats more like it...

The guy called at 7:55, they are on their way over. Nice cool, dry weather to work in!

This is a medium size company in business for a long time. I am glad that this got settled soon.

Thanks all for the advice & comments. If anyone has metal or plastic machining & design questions, I am here.