autoxnyc

5.45x39 Accuracy

It all depends. You will have to do a lot of testing of your own or search unique sources as not many have 5.45 ARs. Whatever data you will find would most likely be from AK-74's and in this case, the ammo is more accurate than the gun firing it. In the 74s they are good for ~18-24" groups out to 400-500 yards. Probably very accurate in an AR as the Soviets modeled it after the 5.56. There is also a lack of reloading supplies for it and essentially no ammunition outside bear/wolf/milsurp.

Thanks. Yeah I wanted to just use it to shoot to the Mill surp stuff. Seems like the Wolf/Silver Bear stuff is no cheaper than their 223s so I'm considering shooting the corrosive stuff. They go for $120 for 1080 rounds.

I will be using it for practice/plinking so I figure the accuracy is more than enough.

Since the barrel/chamber/bcg are chromelined on the upper I am not too worried about it. I think the only thing I won't be able to clean easily is the gas tube. Probably have to pay more attention to steel parts in the lower too.

Windex works, I hear :)

That's what I always used for my Mosin.

Yeah, same. Windex works good because it is mostly water (which is what dissolves the salts) and the ammonia in it helps it evaporate faster and not leave as much moisture in the gun. Not to mention the convenient spray bottle!

Yes, make sure you flush with warm water as quickly as possible and then clean thoroughly. The salts turn into orange corrosive goop in only a couple hours.

Or, you could shoot the rifle for a few years without worrying about this so much, and when it's finally too corroded buy another $99 rifle....

Yes, make sure you flush with warm water as quickly as possible and then clean thoroughly. The salts turn into orange corrosive goop in only a couple hours.

Or, you could shoot the rifle for a few years without worrying about this so much, and when it's finally too corroded buy another $99 rifle....

Where do they sell Saigas for $99?

See what happens when two conversations go on at once :lol:

So if I shoot the corrosive stuff through my AR, will salt get on parts of the lower receiver? The steel parts lke the fcg, mag release and assorted pins are parts that can rust. Since the direct gas system blows the gas back into the receiver, how bad is it?

Do you guys with AK clean the fcg and parts in the lower receiver after shooting the corrosive stuff?

So if I shoot the corrosive stuff through my AR, will salt get on parts of the lower receiver? The steel parts lke the fcg, mag release and assorted pins are parts that can rust. Since the direct gas system blows the gas back into the receiver, how bad is it?

Do you guys with AK clean the fcg and parts in the lower receiver after shooting the corrosive stuff?

The AK typically only gets salt in the gas tube, gas block, rear sight block, bore, muzzle brake, bolt face, and gas piston, I have not seen salt enter the receiver. Many people on the internet are under some very false impressions about corrosive ammo and make a lot bigger deal of the cleaning process than it really is. Simply dissolve the salts, then clean as usual. Simply put, warm water (windex is water and the freshly shot gun warms it up for you), then some CLP/oil/whatever when you get home.

On a direct impingement system like the AR, I am guessing there would be salt everywhere and the firearm would need a hell of a thorough cleaning. AR just doesn't have the hardiness of an AK to withstand corrosive ammo IMO, unless you're prepared to spend quit a while cleaning every nook and cranny.

Im usually one to say the hell with it, fire corrosive in anything and everything, the cleaning is worth the savings. But an AR.... that would be a nightmare. With the AK its more contained, and easier to clean to begin with. The AR was never designed to be easy to clean of corrosive (or anything...).

Im usually one to say the hell with it, fire corrosive in anything and everything, the cleaning is worth the savings. But an AR.... that would be a nightmare. With the AK its more contained, and easier to clean to begin with. The AR was never designed to be easy to clean of corrosive (or anything...).

Exactly! I hate to clean the corrosive crap!

That's why I ordered a piston driven upper in 5.45x39, should arrive today! :dance:

that should help a ton, although those retarded star shaped lug recesses can still be a PITA. Can you tell I dont like ARs? :mrgreen:

When in doubt, douche it out. warm water and a bristle brush with a little dish soap followed by comperssed air and oil. Pretty hard to miss anything if you do it that way.

Can you tell I dont like ARs? :mrgreen:

It's funny. I came around to that point of view myself. The only reason I still have one is my girlfriend likes to shoot my Spike Tactical ST-22. Otherwise it would be gone.

It's funny. I came around to that point of view myself. The only reason I still have one is my girlfriend likes to shoot my Spike Tactical ST-22. Otherwise it would be gone.

http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I think youll enjoy that lol

http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I think youll enjoy that lol

LMAO. Hit the rifle on Eugene Stoner's head!! :lol::lol::lol: