Sign in to follow this  
bulpup

Marines start to field HK SAW replacement

http://www.military.com/news/article/corps-set-to-field-saw-replacement.html?ESRC=eb.nl

I loved my SAW. Hated the 800 rounds I was required to carry. But still, Losing the 200 round belt for 30 round magazines?

Im with you. I loved it!! It would be nice to have one in the closet. I agree, 30 round mags?

Ugh, the 416 rears it's ugly head again. It came close, but there are reasons why it was never picked up for the long run. As for the 30rd capacity, agreed that it's ridiculous considering the role of the SAW.

Who makes these decisions. The SAW is a suppressive weapon. It's main role is keeping heads down, hard to do at 30 rounds at a time. Even a 100 round drum will have more failures, unless there is a new design. Dirt, sand, etc getting into them. Hope they rethink this.

Who makes these decisions. The SAW is a suppressive weapon. It's main role is keeping heads down, hard to do at 30 rounds at a time. Even a 100 round drum will have more failures, unless there is a new design. Dirt, sand, etc getting into them. Hope they rethink this.

Agreed. Suppressive fire is very effective.

i saw an article on a 7.62 SAW...they should replace the 5.56 SAW with that instead

You might be thinking of the M249 Mk48 mod 0/1, which is a SAW variant that fires the 7.62 NATO. And it would make sense, to shift in that direction. Last I heard (albeit it was awhile ago now), a lot of guys see the DOD requesting a lot of the next-gen types to be chambered in 7.62. The KAC SR-25/M110/Mk 11 and FNH SCAR Mk 17 (which is in the last bit of field testing) both are chambered in 7.62 NATO-- and I believe was a part of the reqs put forth when the contracts were released. It would make sense that DOD would want to standardize the 7.62 NATO possibly, and focus on a system that utilized said round. As much as I like the 6.8SPC, I don't see it catching on wide-scale with the DOD.

Ugh, the 416 rears it's ugly head again. It came close, but there are reasons why it was never picked up for the long run. As for the 30rd capacity, agreed that it's ridiculous considering the role of the SAW.

What problems bbk? Thought it was piston operated and less likely to jam? No heat on the bolt as well. Why not just adapt it to be belt fed?