Regulator72

.308 recommendations?

Just became the owner of my first rifle in .308, and was looking for some recommendations for some ammo. I am really only going to use it for target shooting right now, so i don't need anything specifically for hunting, and not looking to buy the "best" ammo out there..

so .308 guys, what are you using?

Just became the owner of my first rifle in .308, and was looking for some recommendations for some ammo. I am really only going to use it for target shooting right now, so i don't need anything specifically for hunting, and not looking to buy the "best" ammo out there..

cool, what ya get?

cool, what ya get?

Oh, man, i was hoping you wouldn't find out... I feel like i cheated on you :lol: I picked up a Savage Model 11 off the forum..

I suggest you buy a couple differnt manufacturers in a couple different bullet weights. Try them out at different ranges and see what your gun shoots best. Most of the time the real difference will show up past 200 yards, so if your only shooting 50 or 100 yards you won't see a lot of difference. I have a Remington 700 long range rifle that I shoot at 300 yards and have aired out to 600 yards. I use standard Federal ammo and I routinely shoot 2" groups at 300 yards. The rifle could do better with match ammo but I'm happy with 2 inches at 300 yards. The best I've done at 600 was to put all the shots on a paper plate sized target. I don't usually shoot that distance so the group size is more about me and less about the gun and ammo. I tried multiple ammo's and weights to find my rifle likes the federals.

Im using hornady TAP brass, hornady A-MAX 168 BTHPs, 43 grains IMR4895, CCI LR primer, and setting depth to .015" off the lands (measure from ogive of bullet with comperator). Each charge is beam scaled etc.

Best group is .18" 5 rounds at 100 yards. My avg is around .5"

DSC00563.jpg

The answer is..... what your rifle likes! Buy a box of FGMM 168's 175's, black hills, Corbon, any quality match ammo and see which one your gun likes. My AIAW LOVED FGMM168's. What is the twist rate on that barrel?

Edited to add: Sorry Yeti , didnt see you already gave the same answer.