fermbizz

Buying Used Guns - what to look for & what to ask seller

I received my permit and ready to purchase. Since I'm a newbie i dont mind starting off with a used gun. Once i have more knowledge and experience, I'll buy a new one. So I found a used Beretta 92fs for sale but I need some tips on what to lookout for and what questions to ask? Is there such a thing as a knock-off that has the Beretta logo? It's made in USA.

Yeah, buy a new one first... then you'll be more knowledgeable on what a new gun looks like so you can compare the quality to the used one. You'll also get a gauge on what your cleaning regime results in as far as gunk levels, etc. If you pick up a pistol, take off the slide, and it looks like tar... steer clear. If its like a surgical table then you know the owner takes great care.

Well, I dont know how old the gun is and it's priced under $500. I assume brand new there over $670+? I wish they were like cars with Vin# and odometer to get a better idea what quality to expect and how many rounds been fired. Are they stamped when they were manufactured or anything other than the serial # that would tell me? I will be testing it at the range next week. If it doesnt look like it was properly maintained, then yeah i will definitely buy new. Thanks for the tips.

Well, I dont know how old the gun is and it's priced under $500. I assume brand new there over $670+? I wish they were like cars with Vin# and odometer to get a better idea what quality to expect and how many rounds been fired. Are they stamped when they were manufactured or anything other than the serial # that would tell me? I will be testing it at the range next week. If it doesnt look like it was properly maintained, then yeah i will definitely buy new. Thanks for the tips.

As a first gun - I would be very very cautious. There are quite a few people here who would be willing to help you look over the gun if you really really want to go used for the first gun.

Secondly, check the auction sites (gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com) to determine a decent value for used. You can also do a price request on the forum to determine an average new cost. In addition - you can look at Budsgunshop.com, but be aware that there are good and bad stories about Buds AND you are not supporting any of your local shops...

Exercise caution with the auction sites - you will likely need to pay shipping and you can not have a gun shipped to your door, so then an FFL transfer charge plus NICS also applies.

Idk, I bought my XD used as my first handgun, and it's been rock solid reliable. I would just hang around forums and try to get as much information as you can before going to look at something.

That's like saying don't buy a used car for your first car. Who here got a brand new car at 17?

my .02.. I gotta agree with both views on this, buying new as your first gun, i wouldn't recommend doing, if your green when it comes to guns, or even that particular model gun**, but buying used to save a few bucks and get into a sport, or perhaps getting a better gun that you couldn't otherwise afford, that's just plain smart.. **now, as been stated, take a forum member with you, have them handle, shoot and check the gun out with you before you buy it, you should be good to go..you cant go wrong with an experienced second set of eyes..

basically, if your gonna do it, don't do it alone ;) and as others have suggested, look around for prices, maybe you can find a new one close to what your paying for the used one..

not sure if i helped you there, or just retyped what everyone else has said.. :facepalm: it's early..

On used guns my opinion is this. SOOOOO many people buy firearms and just dont shoot them. This creates a pretty attractive used market. So if you come across say a Berretta and it looks new and is a very good price it would be a good option. To add to that since it is used, the seller may be agreeable to a range trip. If it looks good, runs good, its likely good. Peel some Peso's.

Things to consider:

Reputation of manufacturer and specific model as to reliability and durability

No warranty but what you might get from the seller if it is a good retailer

Mechanical condition that can be verified through non-firing function tests

Condition of bore/crown, slide/barrel/frame fit/smoothness

Obvious defects like cracks, chips, etc...

Ask seller of any ammo sensitivity, round count, spring life, problems they had, repair jobs, etc...

Unless you get to fire it, it's difficult to say, and even then price will affect how happy you will be with your purchase. Personally if the gun has a great reputation, and seems mechanically sound, and parts/service are available relatively cheaply, I'd go for it, IF the price is low enough. I would not want to save $150 and then have a problem with no warranty service available.

best luck, unclenunzie

Things to consider:

Ask seller of any ammo sensitivity, round count, spring life, problems they had, repair jobs, etc...

Unless you get to fire it, it's difficult to say, and even then price will affect how happy you will be with your purchase. Personally if the gun has a great reputation, and seems mechanically sound, and parts/service are available relatively cheaply, I'd go for it, IF the price is low enough. I would not want to save $150 and then have a problem with no warranty service available.

best luck, unclenunzie

I'll be checking out a Beretta 92fs next Tuesday @ Brick Armory. Tony from TJ Sporting Arms is selling it and I've read good feedbacks about him.

Things to consider:

best luck, unclenunzie

I'll be checking out a Beretta 92fs next Tuesday @ Brick Armory. Tony from TJ Sporting Arms is selling it and I've read good feedbacks about him.

I bought a used S&W 6906 from Tony.. shortly after purchasing it, i had an extractor issue, called S&W, sent it in, all covered under warranty. I Let Tony know about the problem, just as an fyi, and he offered to pay any costs (shipping/repair) that I had incurred. I only had to pay shipping one way to S&W so i wasn't concerned about that. Tony didn't have to step up and offer to pay anything, but he did.. That goes a long way in my book. I've purchased 4 guns, and did one transfer thru him, never an issue and price was always fair..

good luck!

On used guns my opinion is this. SOOOOO many people buy firearms and just dont shoot them. This creates a pretty attractive used market. So if you come across say a Berretta and it looks new and is a very good price it would be a good option. To add to that since it is used, the seller may be agreeable to a range trip. If it looks good, runs good, its likely good. Peel some Peso's.

Wow - Shane going against his buy once cry once policy... (kidding Shane).

Things to consider:

best luck, unclenunzie

I bought a used S&W 6906 from Tony.. shortly after purchasing it, i had an extractor issue, called S&W, sent it in, all covered under warranty. I Let Tony know about the problem, just as an fyi, and he offered to pay any costs (shipping/repair) that I had incurred. I only had to pay shipping one way to S&W so i wasn't concerned about that. Tony didn't have to step up and offer to pay anything, but he did.. That goes a long way in my book. I've purchased 4 guns, and did one transfer thru him, never an issue and price was always fair..

good luck!

So Tony's a keeper. Great! Well i'm glad things worked out really good with your S&W. I didn't think you'd get that fixed under warranty since you're not the original owner. Is it because of a possible life threatening issue or because that's their way to get a good rep?

It's the S&W way, they have a lifetime warranty;

1. Lifetime Service Policy

We will repair any defect in material or workmanship without charge to the original purchaser for as long as you own the handgun.

My issue was simple, as it would fail to extract like every 3rd round. The extractor had a chip in it. When i called, they never questioned if i was the original owner or not,I even told them i purchased the gun second hand. i explained the issue, they gave me an address to ship it to, and 2 weeks later it was in my hands fixed. Now, I know for certain that Tony did not know of the issue before the sale, if he had, he would have done the same as me and had it repaired. Point is, before S&W agreed to fix under warranty, Tony offered to pay for repair or any expenses related to the repair. Your not going to get that on Gunbroker or too many other places (aside from the vendors that support this forum) I cant speak for the other vendors as i have not used them, but my experience as well as others with Tony are clearly stated all over this forum.

Good luck with your purchase!

Shane45,

I bought the Beretta 92FS and it was manufactured in 1998. This baby was flawless. I shot about 300 rounds with 4 different brands of ammo, shoots accurate and not one jam at all. Your response takes some credit for buying it. Thanks!