Krdshrk

Mossberg 500 Persuader/Cruiser

I took a look at a Mossberg Persuader at Dick's on Saturday. 20" model with 7+1 capacity.

Like this:

50577.jpg

Does anyone know if you could put any chokes on it? I was maybe thinking of using it for HD as well as trap/skeet. I don't think I'll be hunting yet. Also - the price seemed ok - $329. Anyone know any place cheaper? Also potentially interested in the 18.5" model (5+1 capacity I think).

18.5"

50411.jpg

Any thoughts? :D

You'd have to take a look at the barrel and see if its threaded or not... maybe its in the specs on their website? Either way like I've mentioned in other threads, I would personally go with a longer choke-able hunting barrel before the short HD barrel. Reason is the cost as a whole is pretty much the same, but a short HD barrel can be had for like $100 cheaper than longer hunting barrel when purchasing separately. You can use the shotgun right away for anything with the choked barrel and get a cheap used HD barrel at your leisure. Someone mentioned that you can shoot pigeons with a 18" cylinder bore barrel... ya you can... but lets see you hit something 50yards away with one.

Cyl bore will be "OK" for shooting clays from a thrower next to you, out in a field or whatever. But when you say "trap", its an actual regulation sport. You wont be any closer than 16 yards from the thrower which will then randomly spew high speed targets away from you. For this, your gun will put you at a severe disadvantage. Think of you having a flintlock pistol vs a few squads of navy seals. Yeah, that kinda disadvantage :lol: Skeet will be easier with the cyl bore but still at a bit of a disadvantage.

Yeah - I shot "skeet" from a thrower close by - which was ok with some of the Cyl Bore guns. EchoMirage had one, as well as Bulpup. However, with such a short barrel I was looking to potentially get a choke for it so I could use it for clay shooting a little bit better than just cyl bore.

how did I miss this thread??? Dude, this is exactly why I'm buying lunker's package and not the Persuader you mentioned. That was totally what I was gonna get. But I wanted more versatility. What if I wanna dust some clays? hunt some ducks? I don't think that barrel will take chokes, I think I looked inside it once and there's no threads. IMHO, take sissloop's advice, or do the opposite - get the one with the 18.5" barrel and then look around for a used longer barrel.

I had the capacity argument gong in my head too, since the one I'm getting is 4 + 1 and jeez, I wish I could have more, but I've read around - if you practice reloading well and fast, you won't need that extra capacity.

I just wish the combos that they sell came with black stocks instead of the fake wood.

I see they have the Field/Security combo.

54169.jpg

28" Vent Rib field barrel that can take chokes, and the 18.5" home defense barrel. I think I'll pick up this one.

dude, I felt exactly the same. that's why I'll be changing the furniture to the SpecOps stock. midwayusa.com has them on sale for $100 until the end of the month. so you get black funriture and added bonus of recoil reduction.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=974135

sirsloop, I think the point is, we don't want the wood look at all, real or fake...

sirsloop, I think the point is, we don't want the wood look at all, real or fake...

Yeah well....

If it gets real cold outside and I am strapped for kindling, at least my shotgun furniture won't put out toxic smoke. :)

Yeah I'd rather spend a little less for the fake wood if I'm gonna change it. Plus the Field/Security combo comes with a pistol grip as well..... in black.... I don't really feel the need for a pistol grip and shoulder stock together.

I think I'd get something like this to put on it... eventually :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=699162

699162.jpg

Thanks, Urban Grunt. Yeah after some more research and browsing on their website and others, it doesn't look like the Persuader/Cruiser shotguns can take chokes. They're cylinder bore only. That combo I'm looking at now can take chokes on the 28" barrel which is perfect.

yah, that would work just fine! I figured I'd shell out the extra $50 for the super tactical recoil reduction.... since I'm saving so much by buying the same gun used (+ a rifled barrel) muahahahahahahahahahaha :twisted:

we should get together when we get our Mossbergs pimped out, to compare and contrast :D

keep in mind, though, that field combo is a 4 +1, if I saw correctly... it's not 5 + 1

Yeah I'm not worried about it. From shooting clays at CR last time, 4+1 is enough.

Unless you wanna do tom knapp kinda stuff and beat his world record of 8 with a pump :naughty:

I've gone as far as 4 off a thrower but I cant do 4 (..or 8..) hand thrown. that guys nuts! Cant do that with a stock tube :x