DevsAdvocate

Firearms safe...

Hey all,

Looking to buy a new firearms safe... somewhere between 10-20 gun. Anyone know which brands give you the best value for the money? I'm not looking to spend more than $600, and would like some sort of home deliver/install.

Is Fire and Water resistance a must?

How about a gun cabinet? What are the pros and cons there?

Hey all,

Looking to buy a new firearms safe... somewhere between 10-20 gun. Anyone know which brands give you the best value for the money? I'm not looking to spend more than $600, and would like some sort of home deliver/install.

Is Fire and Water resistance a must?

How about a gun cabinet? What are the pros and cons there?

delivery......yes, they drop it curbside :D

install :naughty:

Here's a decent read on gun safes:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

I went with one of the Sentry safes in the $600 range from Costco.

I didn't really want the electronic lock, but at the time, it was the only one in my price range.

It's not an uber secure safe, but, I feel comfortable enough that it will keep out most would be thieves.

I'd stay away from gun cabinets unless your only goal is to simply keep young children away from the guns. The metal is akin to what you might find in a gym locker.

Lastly, if you can swing it, get one that's like double the size of what you think you need. When I bought mine I had 4 long guns and 2 handguns and thought a 14 gun safe would last me forever. :doh: The guns have to be stacked a very specific way.. throw in a couple odd shaped ARs or shotguns with sidesaddles and things get tight very quickly.

this is what I was told at the liberty outlet a long time ago how many guns do you own now how many do you expect to own in 5 to 10 years now times by 2 thats what you need.I should have used 5 oh well now I need 2 safes but thats easier on my floors.Im partial to liberty buy it once and be done

Don't buy one too small or you will end up with 2 or more. I learned this the hard way. Also, there are other things that should be safed once in a while. Think about going on vacation and stashing laptop and other portable, valuable items. Be smart and give wife a place for jewelry!

Next house is just getting a vault door into my bunker.

Here's a decent read on gun safes:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

I went with one of the Sentry safes in the $600 range from Costco.

I didn't really want the electronic lock, but at the time, it was the only one in my price range.

It's not an uber secure safe, but, I feel comfortable enough that it will keep out most would be thieves.

I'd stay away from gun cabinets unless your only goal is to simply keep young children away from the guns. The metal is akin to what you might find in a gym locker.

Lastly, if you can swing it, get one that's like double the size of what you think you need. When I bought mine I had 4 long guns and 2 handguns and thought a 14 gun safe would last me forever. :doh: The guns have to be stacked a very specific way.. throw in a couple odd shaped ARs or shotguns with sidesaddles and things get tight very quickly.

Ditto. You need to be good at Tetris to put all my rifles/shotguns in the safe.

I'm looking at a 20 gun safe.

Currently have 3 pistols with plans to own 3 more max (full-size glock, .22lr, and maybe another revolver).

Also have 5 long guns (2 ARs, 2 Shotguns, and a .22lr) with plans to buy 2 more ARs (middies), a shotgun for hunting/trap/skeet, and a .22AR.

I may sell my .22lr and Colt Python (mod) in the long run.