Sign in to follow this  
Steve_G

thumbhole stocks

Somewhere there lies a fine line from becoming a thumbhole stock to a pistol gripped stock. Where that is in New Jersey has yet to be determined. Kalifornia's law defines what they consider a pistol grip.

CA 11 CCR 5469(d) says "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.

web_finger.JPG

Should this same interpretation apply here (it may well be), a lot of thumbhole stocked rifles would be considered pistol grips and therefore making one's rifle an "Assault Weapon". IMO, the 10/22 pictured above is a thumbhole. But, I question this one.

EAA-Zastava.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Damagedworld

I THINK that some of the imported "assault weapon" type firearms have thumbhole stocks to make importation easier.. i THINK it has something to do with them being "sporting" guns as opposed to military style weapons.. with that said many companies make guns like that with thumbhole stocks.. or even like full pistol grips that are attached to the stock.. I assume that satisfies things on a import level? but maybe it is different when applying that same logic to NJ since they clearly state it as something beneath the action of the gun.. and even go as far as to describe the manor in which you can hold it..

as in maybe this is NOT a pistol grip

HMR800.jpg

but maybe something like the PAP is (according to NJ at least)A pistol grip..