DevsAdvocate

Wood vs. Synthetic Stocks...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43853

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/49886

I'm down to these two combo packs. Problem is: I'm at a loss trying to figure out if I want the walnut one? Or synthetic?

Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards the synthetic one, only because it comes with the 18.5" barrel, which would let me sell my 870 express and still have an HD gun. But I also want to change things up a bit and have something that ISN'T black tacticool...

I have a synth stock on one of the guns I use for trap, and after 3 or 4 rounds of shooting with a tight cheek weld, the texture on the stock starts to irritate my baby soft cheek, and it stays a bit raw and sensitive for a day or two afterward.

I don't have the problem with the wood stocked guns, since they have a much smoother finish.

Of course, if you have skin like old leather, it may not ever be a problem for you.

I do several stock repairs for people. Wood is simple to repair if cracked or broken, often times the repair is nearly seamless and invisible. On synthetics, they are a pain in the butt to repair properly. Durability is about the same, as I get just as many synthetics as woods. So, I would go for wood. It not only looks classier, but is easier to repair if something does happen. Also, PLASTIC DOES NOT BELONG ON A GUN!!! :lol:

I'm guessing you'll want this for clay shooting? 28" is generally better. Still you can put on chokes to help improve the spread with a shorter barrel. I use a 24" with a modified choke.

I may want to take up hunting in the future as well... Pheasant and maybe deer.

The 28" uses the accuchoke, and the combo comes with 3 chokes.

Barrels are cheap enough for Mossberg that I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always get another for under $200.

My take from reading up on barrel length lately is that longer is better when taking shots of objects that are moving consistently, whether away from you or side to side. They swing better. Trap shooters like 30" and even longer barrels. Skeet shooter like shorter than that.

Short barrels are better for point or reaction shooting. I went pheasant hunting and was happy to have a shot barrel because I was never quite sure what direction the bird would get flushed. Now, as for my accuracy with it, that's another matter.

For Deer hunting I think you'll need a rifled barrel. Either that you take out the choke and used rifled slugs. I'm not sure about NJ hunting laws exactly yet.

When using slugs you must have adjustable sights. Rifled slugs are used in smoothbore barrels(take the choke out first!!!!) and sabot slugs are used in rifled barrels.

You can also use buckshot, however each barrel/choke combo is different when it comes to patterning buckshot. You need to set up a large target to find the ideal choke/buckshot/barrel pattern for the woods you plan on hunting.

Bought the synthetic stock version!

I went to the local Dick's and checked out both walnut and synthetic stocks, and I wasn't too thrilled with the wood stock. It's nothing like my dad's old school Custom Browning A-5.

I went to the local Dick's and checked out both walnut and synthetic stocks, and I wasn't too thrilled with the wood stock. It's nothing like my dad's old school Custom Browning A-5.

Yeah, it wouldn't be.

Congratulations on your new gun. Have fun with it.

Let me know what you think once you have shot it..... The 930 is on my short list for a semi