Sign in to follow this  
vladtepes

NOT just NJ but nationally...

[rant]

I was thinking last night.. and I just don't get it.. If you hire someone to manage something.. you generally would hire someone who has experience with that given field... If I hire someone to regulate the Banking industry (for example).. I am not going to hire someone who has spent their entire life as a painter... Forget the whole Democrat Republican BS for a second.. and just humor me.. why does it appear to me that almost every time someone weighs in on guns (from the government side) they literally have no idea WTF they are talking about.... like this whole IO AK nonsense.... this lady.. quite literally IMO knows NOTHING about firearms.... how the hell is she qualified to rule over them... And I mean this quite sincerely.... I am not advocating that the person in charge has to be pro-gun, but I do think that they should know what the hell is going on.. if you don't know what a flash hider is.. what it does.. how it functions... or the difference between an ar10 and an ar15.. Why the hell are you in charge.. If they want common sense government these people in control should have intimate first hand knowledge of the item they are in control of.... has this lady ever even held a gun? shot a gun? does she even know WTF an AK47 is..... Letting a clueless twit regulate guns is akin to allowing me to regulate real estate law (which I know ZERO about)... I honestly feel that the NJSP firearms division is more adequately educated to regulate these items.... as at least they understand them....

[/rant]

Even Worse:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6084

NRA Strongly Opposes

The Nomination Of Andrew Traver to Head BATFE

Calls On President Obama To Withdraw The Nomination

Friday, November 19, 2010

Statement From NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox

The NRA strongly opposes President Obama’s nomination of Andrew Traver as director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). Traver has been deeply aligned with gun control advocates and anti-gun activities. This makes him the wrong choice to lead an enforcement agency that has almost exclusive oversight and control over the firearms industry, its retailers and consumers. Further, an important nomination such as BATFE director should not be made as a “recess appointment,” in order to circumvent consent by the American people through their duly elected U.S. Senators.

Traver served as an advisor to the International Association for Chiefs of Police’s (IACP) “Gun Violence Reduction Project,” a “partnership” with the Joyce Foundation. Both IACP and the Joyce Foundation are names synonymous with promoting a variety of gun control schemes at the federal and state levels. Most of the individuals involved in this project were prominent gun control activists and lobbyists.

The IACP report, generated with Traver’s help, called on Congress to ban thousands of commonly owned firearms by misrepresenting them as “assault weapons,” as well as calling for bans on .50 caliber rifles and widely used types of ammunition. The report also suggests that Congress should regulate gun shows out of existence and should repeal the privacy protections of the Tiahrt Amendment—all efforts strongly opposed by the NRA and its members.

Traver also participated in an extremely deceptive NBC Chicago report (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Assault-Weapons-Surge-in-City-69620227.html) in which he referred to “the growing frequency of gang members and drug dealers using heavy caliber military-type weapons” and described them as if they were machine guns: “Pull the trigger and you can mow people down.” Traver and his agents provided the reporter with a fully automatic AK-47, with which she was unable to hit the target. He then said that stray bullets are “one of the main problems with having stuff like this available to the gangs.”

As the Agent-in-Charge of Chicago’s BATFE office, Traver knows that fully automatic firearms are not available through normal retail channels—the opposite of what was implied in the report.

An agency involved in the regulation of a fundamental, individual right guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution should not be led by an individual with a demonstrated hostility to that freedom. For that reason, the NRA strongly opposes Andrew Traver to head the BATFE and urges President Obama to withdraw this ill-advised nomination.

Copyright 2010, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.

This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-392-8683 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The government has one agenda in mind. That is to gain as much control and power over the people. They don't think rationaly or give a rats a** about you or me. It's all about power and control. They don't care about how qualified a person is in a particular position as long as they can help them achive their agenda.

Just as you stated - these people don't have a clue about what they are doing. It's OK as long as the "big picture" is achieved.

The government isn't logical, it has an agenda.

exactly.. it is just nuts... while I would like to see pro-gun people in those positions.. I would be willing to settle for neutral logical parties that are at least familiar with firearms..

The only thing these people know about guns is that they don't like any of them and want to outlaw them all.

Guest megaman

[rant]

I was thinking last night.. and I just don't get it.. If you hire someone to manage something.. you generally would hire someone who has experience with that given field... If I hire someone to regulate the Banking industry (for example).. I am not going to hire someone who has spent their entire life as a painter... Forget the whole Democrat Republican BS for a second.. and just humor me.. why does it appear to me that almost every time someone weighs in on guns (from the government side) they literally have no idea WTF they are talking about.... like this whole IO AK nonsense.... this lady.. quite literally IMO knows NOTHING about firearms.... how the hell is she qualified to rule over them... And I mean this quite sincerely.... I am not advocating that the person in charge has to be pro-gun, but I do think that they should know what the hell is going on.. if you don't know what a flash hider is.. what it does.. how it functions... or the difference between an ar10 and an ar15.. Why the hell are you in charge.. If they want common sense government these people in control should have intimate first hand knowledge of the item they are in control of.... has this lady ever even held a gun? shot a gun? does she even know WTF an AK47 is..... Letting a clueless twit regulate guns is akin to allowing me to regulate real estate law (which I know ZERO about)... I honestly feel that the NJSP firearms division is more adequately educated to regulate these items.... as at least they understand them....

[/rant]

I hear what you are saying, but think of this. If the government did not exist, millions of incompetent morons who know nothing would not have a job. So they serve a function, but government has become the equivalent of a welfare job. So now you know why they call them 'Government Hacks'

Some may not find this to be terribly accurate, but it seems to be from my perspective. It seems that women have a predisposed fear of firearms, regardless of knowledge presented or lack of knowledge on their part. When I just turned 18, I was living under my mothers roof who didnt want a gun in the house because "bad things can happen when a gun is around." I offered buying a safe and giving her the key. Nope. Because "bad things can happen, I dont like the idea." Had the same conversation with my girlfriend last night. She "doesnt like the idea of guns" and no matter what ideas I throw at her, she still doesnt like them. "Guns dont kill people, people kill people." "Take the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens and only criminals have guns. And when law abiding citizens dont have guns, the criminals take advantage of the situation and crime rates go up. It happened in Chicago." Nope. Still doesnt like guns. Like I said, predisposed fear of firearms, regardless of knowledge.

Some may not find this to be terribly accurate, but it seems to be from my perspective. It seems that women have a predisposed fear of firearms, regardless of knowledge presented or lack of knowledge on their part. When I just turned 18, I was living under my mothers roof who didnt want a gun in the house because "bad things can happen when a gun is around." I offered buying a safe and giving her the key. Nope. Because "bad things can happen, I dont like the idea." Had the same conversation with my girlfriend last night. She "doesnt like the idea of guns" and no matter what ideas I throw at her, she still doesnt like them. "Guns dont kill people, people kill people." "Take the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens and only criminals have guns. And when law abiding citizens dont have guns, the criminals take advantage of the situation and crime rates go up. It happened in Chicago." Nope. Still doesnt like guns. Like I said, predisposed fear of firearms, regardless of knowledge.

I have been shooting since the age of 7-8 years old. Some time in the late '70s my soon to be at the time step-father, a Veitnam vet Marine and police officer, sat me down explained what was what about firearms, took me to the range and gave me one simple rule to follow - do not touch any of the guns without asking him first. Any time I wanted to go to the range he made time for me. So I grew up knowing where the guns were and how to use them but never had any interest, the curiosity was not there.

Fast forward to 1993, I get engaged and soon my finance and I go to contract on a new home in Toms River. We close on the home in December 1994 with our wedding date set for October 1995. The plan was for her to live in the house and me to move in after the wedding. In April 1995 I came home with the paperwork for an FID and a purchase permit. She lost it. Ranting that she never had a gun in the house growing up and she was against it bla, bla, bla... At the time she had a two year old miniature dachshund and my reply to her was OK just answer this: It is 3AM, you just heard a loud crash downstairs, you picked up the phone and it is dead, you hear a 6'2" (*insert you derogatory preference here*) climbing up the stairs; what are you and your weiner dog going to do about it? Answer the question and I'll sell the gun! Never did get that answer... :blink:

• Like 1

I have been shooting since the age of 7-8 years old. Some time in the late '70s my soon to be at the time step-father, a Veitnam vet Marine and police officer, sat me down explained what was what about firearms, took me to the range and gave me one simple rule to follow - do not touch any of the guns without asking him first. Any time I wanted to go to the range he made time for me. So I grew up knowing where the guns were and how to use them but never had any interest, the curiosity was not there.

Fast forward to 1993, I get engaged and soon my finance and I go to contract on a new home in Toms River. We close on the home in December 1994 with our wedding date set for October 1995. The plan was for her to live in the house and me to move in after the wedding. In April 1995 I came home with the paperwork for an FID and a purchase permit. She lost it. Ranting that she never had a gun in the house growing up and she was against it bla, bla, bla... At the time she had a two year old miniature dachshund and my reply to her was OK just answer this: It is 3AM, you just heard a loud crash downstairs, you picked up the phone and it is dead, you hear a 6'2" (*insert you derogatory preference here*) climbing up the stairs; what are you and your weiner dog going to do about it? Answer the question and I'll sell the gun! Never did get that answer... :blink:

See that would never have worked when I was living with my mother. My girlfriend? She does not OPPOSE guns or refuse me to purchase or own them. If her and I were to ever move in together, she would accept the fact that I own guns. She would accept me carrying if that option ever became available in NJ. She would NOT carry herself. She would NOT accept me setting aside a separate weapon for her in case of HD. She believes that a good alarm system will protect you from the bad guys :facepalm:

typically women are afraid of guns.. I guess I am just lucky as my girlfriend likes to shoot... but yeah when I met her she was a little sketchy at first.. she just said it was because she had not been around them.. and I guess that makes sense.. I grew up in the way described above.. introduced to them at a young age at all..

Alright, I've been biting my tongue, but saying that a certain sex is inescapable of their so-called genetics is a crock of BS. Saying that anybody is inescapable of anything beyond the social construction of said deficiency is a crock of BS for that matter. Because people grow up in a society that vilifies things like firearms, and because of that are afraid or skeptical around such items is different.

Ultimately, I don't really care what people's opinions are-- I do care about what a person shares, especially on a common space. This sort of stuff perpetuates stereotypes of the firearms community, and is of no benefit. I won't delete anything or the such, lets just stop the prejudices here.

If you have a comment for me, PM me.

Alright, I've been biting my tongue, but saying that a certain sex is inescapable of their so-called genetics is a crock of BS. Saying that anybody is inescapable of anything beyond the social construction of said deficiency is a crock of BS for that matter. Because people grow up in a society that vilifies things like firearms, and because of that are afraid or skeptical around such items is different.

Ultimately, I don't really care what people's opinions are-- I do care about what a person shares, especially on a common space. This sort of stuff perpetuates stereotypes of the firearms community, and is of no benefit. I won't delete anything or the such, lets just stop the prejudices here.

If you have a comment for me, PM me.

people are a product of the environment they are raised in.. it is very common for boys to play cowboys and indians... (guns)... and it is very typical for little girls to play house... (dolls).. so it is pretty reasonable that as time goes on they will continue on similar paths... so generally (IMO) it is very normal for guys to be into guns.. race cars... and other boy things... and it is equally normal to assume that girls are into cooking.. makeup... and other more female things...

so yeah normally guys like guns and girls don't really.. obviously there are a million and one exceptions to the rule..

just my opinion..

Alright, I've been biting my tongue, but saying that a certain sex is inescapable of their so-called genetics is a crock of BS.

I dont see any reason to bite your tongue. We all have opinions and we are all entitled to voice them. I can appreciate anybodies opinion, as long as it is actually substantiated with a reason, which yours definitely is. We all seem to be capable of having a civil conversation publicly, so I would rather do that if its okay with you.

That being said, I did not say, or intend to imply that women are not capable of escaping their opinion. I was simply saying that women seem to automatically develop the opinion that guns are bad and evil. This opinion seems to always be based on a lack of knowledge. My mother has NO experience with guns. My girlfriend has very little experience with guns. Vlad's girlfriend didnt like guns until she got some time behind them, and then her opinion was based on substantial experience. I am hoping the same experience is had with my girlfriend, and she will come to enjoy the hobby. However, as Vlad stated, there is always an exception that proves the rule. I have known ONE woman in my life who did not immediately dislike firearms, and that was because she grew up with firearms and had substantial experience. I dont think that women are inescapable of disliking guns, but normally dislike firearms more than men because they almost always lack the experience with them.

Females shouldn't be stereotyped this way. Biologically and fundamentally, male and female are different (chromosomes aligned differently), but to me they just happen to have different sex is all. (For example, there are dim witted men and women in probably equal proportion!). Life experiences make a person, but there is nothing that tells me guys and gals are any different when it comes to firearms (at the most base level, not evolutionary). Awareness of what's going on in the world (call it education, whatever) plays a major role in what makes a person. Ignorance is bliss and can be detrimental ...

My wife as an example is well educated and when we got married she didn't have any experience w/ guns at all. Now she is as passionate about guns as me. Yes, I did bring her into my camp, but it wasn't forced. She will not hesitate to kill anyone who will attempt to harm our family. That's my girl!

Similarly, my mother had never handled a gun (my father owned few), but she was fully in support of me owning guns. All she said was, don't kill a helpless animal, kill the bad guys and protect your family and friends. So, to this day I haven't gone hunting. I don't know if I ever will or not or what animals I might shoot... I know I will shoot a snake, but only if it's likely to bite me! but that's just me. I hate people who kill an elephant, such a lumbering but majestic animal - is that a challenge? I think not.

But I digressed, back to topic ...

Yes back on topic. We should have someone who is educated and unbiased making these decisions. I am scheduled for jury duty in a month....you think I will get picked if they find out I have a reason to be biased? No. So if I cant be on a jury with a biased opinion, then why can those making our laws have a biased opinion?

Yes back on topic. We should have someone who is educated and unbiased making these decisions. I am scheduled for jury duty in a month....you think I will get picked if they find out I have a reason to be biased? No. So if I cant be on a jury with a biased opinion, then why can those making our laws have a biased opinion?

I think it is more like morons write the laws and they want morons to be the final arbiters of them so they don't get found out for what they are... :)

Law makers are normally lawyers. They protect their business by writing lots of gray area into laws to allow for interpretation and previous case law. This allows defense lawyers to continue to thrive. If laws were black and white you would or would not be charged in the first place.

Is it the place of the courts to interpret the law and not that of an Attorney General? I was always taught legislators make the law, police enforce the law, and the courts interpret/apply the law. I think I'm going to write Christie a letter. I don't expect a response, but I hope he reads it (or one of his peons reads it to him).

I know very little about AK related firearms and I am a shooting enthusiast. What does an Attorney General know other than the rhetoric, misleading statistics, and testimony used by the anti-gun lobby to present their agenda? I'd like to know her qualifications and/or the witness testimony of the firearms expert consulted.

• Like 1

People are appointed into government positions as favors a lot of times. Watch some of the local elections and the smear campaigns, they are desperate to get elected. Why? So they can give jobs to their friends, friends family, their own family or anyone that helped them get elected. This is not true in all towns, I've seen some pretty decent people on councils who really care about their towns.

So, we can see it on the local level, but we need to research the relationships with the appointer and appointee to understand why some are appointed to National Government positions when they are obviously unqualified to hold such a position.

Or, there are hot issues that the appointer would like changed or made into law. The people he appoints will support them on making said change. Just my views, and hey, I'm open minded to the views/thoughts of my fellow gunners.

My father always said career politicians are the worst kind of criminal. How can you trust someone who makes there living on being a politician? you cant! I'm not saying there aren't decent ones out there, but if you want to get elected you have to play ball, no one will contribute to your campaign who doesn't have an agenda, and those agenda's are almost always personal. It's been like this for a very long time, and there doesnt seem to be any chance of change in the near future. People fail to realize that this is there job, there not in there position to help people, they are there to make money.

What pisses me off is they dont even try to hide it, take that scum Joe Biden for instance. While the real estate market was crashing..still is... A mortgage company sold him a multi million dollar home for cents on the dollar, he turned around and sold it back to them for an insane amount... i wonder why that happened?

Im just saying personal preference has nothing to do with it, if some one hated guns and couldnt find a pro- gun control group(which would never happen) they would change there stance very quickly just to get contributions. Take christie for instance, he was pro gun control, u really think that **** would fly in the big leauges of politics being a republican.

It has nothing to do with what you know and how you can apply it, if you know a lot about fire arms, that doesnt make you a good choice for a rep. It may actually make you the worst choice, becuase you can think logically on the matter, and when you up against illogical people, logic doesnt work.

qualifications and/or the witness testimony of the firearms expert consulted.

I am sure that there is no such testimony and THAT is the problem.. it is all about pushing these secret agendas.. it has nothing to do with taking guns from criminals.. it has nothing to do with making the streets safe... because OBVIOUSLY when it comes to firearms.. politicians for the most part don't know anything..