tony357

pheasant hunting..

Parker, thats a great looking setter. I currently own a GSP and a lab (pointing lab actually) abut my first hunting dog was an English Setter so I have a soft spot for them. Do you do much Ruffed Grouse hunting up in NY?

Thanks for the comments Woj & GAPP.

Do you do much Ruffed Grouse hunting up in NY?

He made some nice work on a grouse last week, but I was slow to close the deal, meaning the dog was on point in a thick swamp edge but the bird didn't wait for me to get within range. Haven't been out for grouse as much as I like this year and the other problem I have is it's such a long ride for a day hunt to get up to the northern zones where there are still a huntable concentration of birds. (Yet I used to drive to PA years ago for grouse. Haven't done that in a while either.) I'm hoping to get up to Maine this coming Fall with my dad for another trip. It's been a while.

They're still is some pockets in N.J. where I've always found them for years and I have seen birds in some of these same areas in N.J. each year now since 2007. N.J. needs to spend more time developing habitat for these birds as the forests are too mature. But I don't think there is any vested interest to do this. There are still a few grouse in areas like Sterling Forest in NY as well.

With the exception of this year, I've been deer hunting around in Sterling. I've seen of the bird stocking areas and they seem pretty busy most of the time. I'd love to be able to do some grouse hunting. Sterling is 15 miles from me taking the back roads.

Some great pictures Parker. That is one great looking setter. I lost both mine this year, and am in the middle of looking for my next pup. I hope to be back out in the thickets soon.

I used to grouse hunt in the N Ga mountains. Long tiring hikes up along the App Trail area, through some of the thickest rhodedendron you have ever seen. Looking forward to getting back at the ruffs.

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure is anyone here is from South Jersey or travels to South Jersey but friends on mine from Church own a Game Farm called Game Creek located in Woodstown, NJ. They stock Pheasant, Quail and Chukar. The owners are really nice people and I am sure would appreciate new visitors to come out and hunt.

www.gamecreek.com

Some great pictures Parker. That is one great looking setter. I lost both mine this year, and am in the middle of looking for my next pup. I hope to be back out in the thickets soon.

I used to grouse hunt in the N Ga mountains. Long tiring hikes up along the App Trail area, through some of the thickest rhodedendron you have ever seen. Looking forward to getting back at the ruffs.

Grouse are the ultimate test of gunner & bird dog. No game is more prized than the ruffed grouse.

Thank you for the compliments on my Setter. I've been lucky to have him as my companion for the last eight years. And I've also been lucky to have the time to put in a lot of days each season bird hunting in multiple states with him. Part of the key to a good dog is enough time spent over birds. I had limited time last year so we didn't get out often and I hunted only one state. Trying to make up for some lost time now.

That's great! What was your experience like?

It was good, they had the field stocked already for us in the morning, showed up with the dogs sighned in and left to go to the field, when we were done we went back to the lodge birds were tagged and we were on our way..

have done 3 field hunts in the last 4 years none this season..

It was good, they had the field stocked already for us in the morning, showed up with the dogs sighned in and left to go to the field, when we were done we went back to the lodge birds were tagged and we were on our way..

have done 3 field hunts in the last 4 years none this season..

This thread brought me back to my years in Southwest Kansas.

I had friends who farmed and had a few hundred acres.

We had some of the best times hunting pheasant in the cut milo fields.

I used to bring a .308 for the occasional coyote.

Nice pics.. :)

This thread brought me back to my years in Southwest Kansas.

Mu uncle does a combined quail/pheasant hunt out to Kansas each year with his Setter. I should go with him next time he asks me. I don't know why I say no each time :icon_cry: I used to quail hunt the states of Missouri and Illinois years ago. Nothing like hunting wild birds in wide open spaces. I remember hunting Illinois and never once seeing another hunter.