theRU

Glocks or XD's

78 members have voted

1. 1. Glock or XD

I voted Glock. I've owned examples of all 3. Currently have a Gen2 17 & 19, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G23, M&P40 w/ Apex sear and have owned and sold a Gen3 G22 and XD9 Tactical and XD45 Tactical.

XD - I thought the XD9 was the lowest sample of quality of pistols mentioned. The rear of the slide would move maybe 1mm upward when the trigger was being drawn. Also, I really couldn't shoot it well. I had shot an XD9 that I rented in Las Vegas and directly compared it to a Gen3 G19. Shooting at the same pace I was slightly better on the G19. Shooting slow fire, I was a lot better w/ the G19. I bought the XD9 Tact anyway, liking the long slide aspect of it. The best I could shoot the pistol was about a 3" group of 5 rounds / 15 yards slow fire. I've shot 1" 5rnd / 15 yard groups w/ my G19 and typically average less than 2". Lastly, the XD9 has factory 15rnd mags available. The XD45 Tact I liked. I didn't like the trigger, but I could get a 2" group at 15 yards for 25 rounds.... really concentrating!!! It had a nice lockup to it, but I did not like the shooting characteristics of the high bore. Also, the grip was a little long. Would consider another XD45 Tact w/ the idea of doing something about the trigger.

M&P - My only experience shooting the M&P is w/ the M&P40. It is a really nice gun now that I've put in the Apex sear and latest striker. Unfortunately, I can't shoot it well. I've tried all 3 backstraps and I'm not feeling the Goldilocks thing w/ any of them. Now that I've polished the trigger internals and added the Apex sear, the trigger is the best of the polymer bunch as far as smoothness and tactile feel. However, the Glock still edges it out in reset and can be made as smooth. I'd like to give an M&P9C and 45 a whirl though.

Glock - My 1st Glock experience was a Gen2 G23 in the early 90's and I hated it. Yet, I would up getting a Gen3 G22 in the mid-late 90's and would up selling it. Tried a G30 on a trip to Las Vegas and LOVED IT!!! Was amazed at the recoil control and accuracy. Bought a used Gen2 G19 at the Bullet Hole in the late 90's. Dry fired that gun so much I shattered the breach area of the slide where the firing pin peeks through into the chamber (which Glock replaced for free). My favorite pistols for a long time was my Sig P226 9mm (German made) and HK USP45F. Since learning the Glock trigger, the Glocks are right there as well. They have a hard trigger to master, but worth while to do so. A lot of people, and at one time, myself included, criticize the blocky frame of the Glock and sing praises of the comfort of the grip of the XD and especially, the M&P. I've found for me, that blockyness really allows me a solid grip on the frame, where I find my hands easily losing their grip on the frames of the XD and M&P. Last Friday, I picked up a Gen4 G23 and the Gen4 really takes the Glock up a notch. Just the redesigned frame is worth it alone.

Ultimately, it really comes down to what you like. I've gotten to really like and appreciate Glocks through my experiences. I do think that all the pistols are pretty much equally reliable. I do think, but have no way of knowing for sure, that the Glock and M&P's are built a little better than the XD's that I've sampled. The fellow member who bought my XD45, LOVED THEM. I believe mine was going to be his 10th. Lots of fans of all brands listed. Shoot as many as you can. If you're at the range and see someone shooting one that interests you, ask to shoot 5 rounds or so. I've gotten to shoot more pistols that way and always try to return that favor when asked. Also, consider buying used. Unless these guns are heavily beat on, they should be fine for a used purchase.

• Like 2

I've shot all three, but have only ran one magazine out of the M&P. My observations are they are all very good firearms in a stock configuration to issue agency wide.

All three triggers could be better especially on reset travel IMHO. The Glocks out of three felt the least natural to my hand angle, but still very, very usable to me. Aiming the Glock to me isn't a problem. Flash / rapid shooting is where my accuracy goes off with the Glocks. I recently bought a Glock and hope to improve my proficiency with them.

I own a XD Gen 1 Tactical 45 that holds 12 rounds that probably has 4 to 5 thousand rounds of all sorts of ammo thru it and can not think of a single incident where it failed. This is my training gun and nite stand gun. The trigger has gotten better due to wearing in, but I still wish it had a shorter reset. At some point I will send it back to SA for a tune up and a trigger job. This pistol has been rolled in sand, dirt, dropped, and had lots of sweat dripped on it. The most abuse was during a week long training in over 90 degree temperatures this past summer and it was flawless. Because of the heat, sweat was the major obstacle to overcome when gripping and racking during misfire drills. I am sure that many rounds were fired "limp wristed" because of the palm sweat and it still went bang every time. The majority of rounds fired thru it has been reloads using 200g Laser Cast round nose loads and the barrel is absolutely fine. The finish has held up surprisingly well. Yes there is some evidence of wear on contact points, but all in all, the finish is much better then I would expect it to be at this point.

And I have to agree with IIRC tbtrout, WTF Springfield, how about having some armorers courses instead of having to send them into the factory. I think it is more of a insurance liability decision on their part. Can't say I blame them. Perhaps they do now and if some knows, I'd appreciate an update.

Bottom line, shoot all three and let your targets dictate what works best for you and not any slick advertising or your buddy's opinion. Hits matter and training is essential to increasing your hit ratio with any firearm's platform.

I voted for the XD's becuase they fit my smallish hands better and have a grip safety, which I prefer.

Glocks have the advantage of a much more readily available supply of replacement and aftermarket parts.

Lastly, I've been looking forward to trying out an M&P.

First post!

Here is my two cents and note this is only my opinion and the reasons why I personally chose what I chose.

Having shot and owned all three here are my thoughts:

The Glock is a great pistol with proven track record of reliability. The simplicity in design makes it very easy to clean, maintain, and troubleshoot if the need ever arises. After market parts are also aplenty which is a plus and all it takes is knock out 3 pins and you are completely stripped down to the bare guts of the pistol. The bore axis is pretty low compared to say an XD but I think the M&P may edge out the Glock in this respect. For me the grip angle fits me perfectly. From an engineering stand point, even though there may be others that beat the Glock in a certain category, overall I have yet to find another gun that beats the Glock in terms of the overall package of features I look for in a pistol, such as size,width,weight,reliability, etc.

The XD is also a solid design. Good and reliable enough to have a cult-like following just like Glock. Has some very nice features such as a striker indicator and chamber indicator. Both very nice features to have. The bore axis is a slight minus for me personally, as it gives the gun slightly more flip by comparison to a gun with lower bore axis. Others may be able to deal with this but I'll take every advantage I can get. Grip angle is similar to a 1911 so people who are used to that would definitely be happy. Comes with a grip safety which personally I dont see as a plus or minus. Its nice to have but not really necessary IMO and I wouldn't use it as a reason for or against a particular model.

The M&P seems to be an up and comer. I just love this pistol. From my experience it is also a workhorse. The design is also very simple and theres are some nice after market parts for it like sears. The interchangeable backs traps is neat and I love the option (to be fair Glock now has that option too though some argue the implementation is somewhat lacking). First time out with this gun I put 5 rounds through the same hole. Ever since then I knew the gun could dish it out as long as I do my part (as with every gun I own, lol).

Overall it is up to what you look for in a gun. Given my demands of size,weight,muzzle flip, etc. If I only were allowed to own one, I'd choose Glock. Luckily I can own them all... lol

• Like 1

Glock - when it absolutely, positively, has to go bang with a pull of the trigger.

When it absolutely has to go bang when it falls down your sweatpants and you try to stop it.

Sorry, still bitter about that Plaxico thing. LOL

Am I the only person here who owns an HK45? Or are we only talking about striker guns?

I think Maks owns an HK45. He might've sold it though. I owned a P2000. It was a nice gun, but (to me) nothing special. I sold it fairly quickly. Now, on the other hand, my P7...

I think Maks owns an HK45. He might've sold it though. I owned a P2000. It was a nice gun, but (to me) nothing special. I sold it fairly quickly. Now, on the other hand, my P7...

I had a P7M8. Great trigger, solid gun, couldn't shoot it worth a damn. I don't know what was wrong with me, I just couldn't put rounds anywhere near each other. Now with my P30 that has a decent trigger I can put entire mags into one hole at 15 yards, just goes to prove that not every gun works for everyone.

I had a P7M8. Great trigger, solid gun, couldn't shoot it worth a damn. I don't know what was wrong with me, I just couldn't put rounds anywhere near each other. Now with my P30 that has a decent trigger I can put entire mags into one hole at 15 yards, just goes to prove that not every gun works for everyone.

It takes lots of practice. I have to squeeze the trigger really slowly on that gun in order to put shots where I want them. Once I do that, I find it to be very accurate. I have the feeling I would need to forsake the rest of my handguns for a few months if I wanted to carry this gun. It is definitely different than the others.

Just an update....

M&P - Was at the Bullet Hole last weekend w/ the newly acquired Gen4 G23 (w/ Glock 4.5lb connector..used to be called the 3.5lb connector and Mepro NS), Gen3 G19 (Mepro NS) and M&P40 (factory Trijicon NS and Apex Tactical sear and polished internals). My buddy brought along his Gen2 G23 (Hartz recoil reducer, Wolf 20lb recoil spring, Hoque Handall, Mepro NS)and Sig P229 .40 (some kind of stainless guide rod, Hoque grips, Mepro NS).

In my previous post, I mentioned that the M&P while a very comfy feeling pistol, w/ a now vastly improved trigger over stock, was very hard for me to shoot accurately. I don't know what changed. Maybe the stars aligned right, the Force was strong w/ me that day, nearing 2012...., but the M&P shot INCREDIBLE!!! My buddy found it surprising that he was shooting the M&P better than his trusty P229 also.

W/ my G19, my best groups are right around 1" at 15 yards for 5rnds slow fire freehand. The Gen4 G23 is still a work in progress, but I'm not shooting it anywhere near the G19's capability for me. Surprisingly, very very surprisingly, I was able to pull a couple 1" groups w/ the M&P. I've shot 9mm and .45 well (for me), but never .40. The M&P40 is the 1st .40 that I can really shoot well (for me). Also, as with the G19, repeat shot accuracy was outstanding. As anyone who shoots at Bullet Hole can attest to, they frown on rapid fire. I got there before 10:00am and they were letting me get away with roughly 2 shots per second. Was able to hold some tight groups w/ the M&P shooting at a quickened pace. Overall, I've always had a favorable impression of the M&P. I just couldn't shoot it that well. Now, after my very very favorable shooting experience w/ the M&P last weekend, the M&P has definitely gone up a notch.

Couple of points though. I, without a doubt, think the Glock, and possibly HK, have the best finishes in the business. On a Gen3 G22 I used to own, I tried changing out the sights to night sights using a hammer and screwdriver. Dumb, I know. At one point, when hit w/ a forefull blow from the hammer, the screwdriver jumped off the night sight and ssssccccrrrraaaaaapppppeeeeddddd along the entire length of the slide. I COULD NOT BELIEVE the slide was not gouged. It had a light line that was left by the screwdriver that was easily buffed out. The M&P does not have that same toughness.

Also, from an armorer's/tinkerer's perspective, in order to get to the firing pin plunger on the M&P, the rear sight has to be removed. I had to buy the M&P rear sight pusher to work on mine. Upside is, that the 9mm/40/357Sig/45GAP Glock slides fit perfectly on this sight pusher as well. Also, I s/w an S&W rep yesterday. One of things that came up in the conversation was that the extractor is a factory only installed part. Appartently, they have some kind of heavy press that they use to install the pin for the extractor. I've never tried to remove the extractor on my gun, so I don't know how hard it is, but I've read in a couple of places that it is a **** to remove.

I votes XD. I've shot a glock never an m&p (although I did hold the m&p). The xd felt the best in my hands. I've put almost 1000 rounds through it with zero problems. I've shot all kinds of ammo from bargain bin to expensive +p rated ammo. The gun is a tack driver. Honestly it's impossible to say which is better since all three are fantastic firearms. I chose my xd but I wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable trusting my life with any of the three.

I have no experience with the m&p, so I can't comment on that. I found myself asking this same question a few years ago when I was looking to purchase my first pistol. What I really loved about the Glocks was the ease of use and myriad of accessories available. When I tried the XD(m), I really liked the striker & chamber indicators (2 things I think the Glock lacks). What it came down to was comfort. I have small(ish) hands, and the glock just felt like a brick in my hands. I read a lot about both of these guns, and I don't see much argument about one being significantly better than the other. I suggest testing them both out (if you can) and choosing the one that is most comfortable for you.

That's my $0.02