Sign in to follow this  
the m700 project

Universal Clays for 45

I've been running Universal clays for a while now i bought 5 lbs of it and it takes a long time to go through it at 5.7-6 grains at a time. My question is does anyone else run this powder? And does it cause any jamming or have you seen any unburned powder. I run 230gr ball with cci primers. My 1911 will only stay clean for about 100-125 rds and then i either have to clean it or accept the jamming. What should be my next powder to try>

I like using Universal Clays for 38 Sp. I haven't done much testing with .45ACP. It sure does smell good.

My favorite powder for .45ACP is Accurate #2. It is a fine powder and measures great in my RCBS powder mesure. It is possible to double load a case because it is very fine heavy powder, so be careful. I shoot both lead and FMJ with Accurate #2.

Let me know if you want to unload a pound of Universal Clays.

+1 for WST. I found some loads with Clays to be accurate but somewhat dirty. I like Bullseye, 231 and WST better. WST seems to shoot accurately and has a low muzzle flash. I like 231 for the warmer loads. My notes for 4.1 grs. of WST behind a hardcast 230 gr. LRN read; "Reliable, accurate. Barely perceptible muzzle flash." I've also had good luck with Int. Clays in the accuracy department with the .45ACP.

I like Clays more as a shotshell powder in 12 ga. loadings from 7/8 oz. to 1 oz.

I have shot someone elses loads and it was fine.

Started with W231, however transitioned to WSF (Winchester Super Field), and absolutely love it. Started with 45 GAP, then 9mm, and now 45ACP. Very soft shooting and cleaner than W231... yet makes the power.