Sign in to follow this  
Regulator72

Muzzle Loader?

Hello Hunter and Muzzle Loader friends....

I am set to go Deer hunting in VA next November and I am looking into picking up my fist muzzle loader. Who has one? suggestions? I don't know much about them, other than the basic info.. is .50 better than .45 or vice versa? In-line? help a brother out... Thanks guys! :icon_mrgreen:

Hello Hunter and Muzzle Loader friends....

I am set to go Deer hunting in VA next November and I am looking into picking up my fist muzzle loader. Who has one? suggestions? I don't know much about them, other than the basic info.. is .50 better than .45 or vice versa? In-line? help a brother out... Thanks guys! :icon_mrgreen:

.50 cal is more common, so if your looking for bullets or accessories they will be easier to find. Modern inlines will take modern cleaner burning muzzle loader powders such as Triple 7 and Clean Shot and use 209 shotgun primers for faster more reliable ignition. You can also put upwards of 150 grains of powder in an inline as opposed to 100 or so in many traditional muzzle loaders, this will allow you to make farther shots if you desire.

Everyone I know that has an Encore swears by them. They seem to be the Cadillac of that style of arm. Most hunters like the in-lines because they can be scoped with modern optics, they handle the Triple 777 pellets with modern sabots that support a selection of jacketed bullets for anything. And that's if you want to go the modern route. When muzzleloaders came into style with expanded deer seasons specially set aside for them, muzzleloader seasons were originally designed for the more traditional types. Some states allowed only flintlocks or patched roundball-only and some even mandated traditional "black powder only." Times have changed. The caplock bug bit me in '81 and it's the only one I've ever owned or used. I've never felt a need to upgrade or change. I like the challenge. (Just haven't been bit by the flintlock bug yet. Maybe someday.) An ignition cap, some loose powder, a Maxi-Ball and I'm happy. I love my T/C.

Awesome! Thanks for all the input guys.. I did look at the Thompson & Encore, but only online. I'm gonna check out what I can @ Shot Show next week, and see what the latest offering are..

Parker, thats a pretty sweet rifle, I can see why you would stick with it :-)

I bought a $100 used Traditions Tracker 209 off this forum and take it hunting in NJ. With a 4x scope it was capable of this using 125gr of goex powder and a 250gr sabot.

IMG_20101229_163209.jpg

The high shot was at 50yds and the lower ones were @ 100yds. Not Precision rifle, but good enough for deer!

I bought a $100 used Traditions Tracker 209 off this forum and take it hunting in NJ. With a 4x scope it was capable of this using 125gr of goex powder and a 250gr sabot.

IMG_20101229_163209.jpg

The high shot was at 50yds and the lower ones were @ 100yds. Not Precision rifle, but good enough for deer!

Precision? Just fine.

Awesome! Thanks for all the input guys.. I did look at the Thompson & Encore, but only online. I'm gonna check out what I can @ Shot Show next week, and see what the latest offering are..

Parker, thats a pretty sweet rifle, I can see why you would stick with it :-)

It's pretty accurate too. When I added the T/C rear peep sight I enhanced my abilities with it. The 430 gr. Maxi-Ball proved most accurate with 110 grs. of Pyrodex. Thumps at both ends too. Most muzzleloaders I've seen can produce good accuracy when you find the load they like the best. I have a supply of Buffalo Bullets in varying weights for .54 cal., but some like the lighter weight HP's, never reproduced the accuracy of the original Maxi-Ball. (If I recall, the purchase price for my new Renegade in 1981 was $159. I think I've gotten money's worth after all these years.)

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS-3.jpg