Scottcba1

Entering into the 22lr. world but cant decide how...

I have wanted to jump into the world of 22lr but havent decided what route to take. In the passed I liked the Ruger MK series. I always wanted a 1911 but never had the money for one. Now there are 22lr 1911's! Seems like killing two birds with one stone right?

I have been drawn to the GSG 1911 22lr. for its great looks and rave reviews compared to the Chiappa/puma model. I was pretty set on buying a GSG 1911 but still needed to test fire one and get the funds together. As of late I keep seeing people at the range and on this forum really enjoying there 22lr AR rifles and now THATS on my mind! HELPPPP!!!!!

I cant decide between an AR style 22lr (most likely the S&W 15-22) or a GSG 1911 22lr. Any words of wisdom or advice? Anyone own both guns and is willing to let me try them both and wants to meet up at a local range? I have yet to fire either weapon and maybe thats all I need to do to decide.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Scott :icon_mrgreen:

Good luck, you are doomed. :icon_e_biggrin:

Thanks for being such a GREAT help Tim! lol...I still need to give you my 20ga. so you can go through it. Last time I took that and my 12ga. to the range NEITHER wanted to fire. :icon_rolleyes:

Back to the purchase at hand!!! :icon_e_biggrin: Who has both of these and wants to meet up at SS or BA!?!?!?!

-Scott

I can't comment on the GSG, but the 15-22 is a GREAT gun if you are looking for a fun .22. I would definitely recommend it. Personally, I don't think these are guns I would buy until I had the real deal, and just wanted a toy to help with some cheap muscle memory. Just my opinion.

The S&W Model 41 is a great .22 pistol. The Model 46 is a rare version of the 41. It was made for police and military competition pistol teams. My understanding is that less than 5000 were made and less than 500 were made with a 5" heavy barrel. They are very accurate and very reliable. There's one on GB right now and the seller is in NJ, so you can avoid the shipping.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214645037

Plus, if you ever decide to compete, they can be modified into some pretty cool custom guns.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/41swcnmn.htm

What pistols doe you own? I would consider a dedicated 22lr rifle (bolt, semi, lever) what ever you want... but I would really consider a 22lr conversion if avail for whatever handgun you shoot for training and practice.

I have a GSG5 and I really like it. It is fun and I am going to put it through the accuracy paces here at an Appleseed shoot in the spring.

a 22lr. day at SS for next tuesday would be great! Im definitely in!

I currently own a Ruger SR9 and a Glock 22 40cal. I'm very interested in the GSG but have yet to shoot one. SS had one that they were renting but it is currently out being service.

If anyone could bring a GSG 1911 22lr. I would really appreciate it! And yes I would love to shoot everyones

S&W 15-22's!

Thanks for all the info and help guys!

-Scott

I just got the M&P15-22 and had it at SS last Tuesday and it was a blast. I think next Tuesday I will have it again along with my Ruger MK III and possibly the Buckmark. You are welcome to try anything I have.

Cool, all .22s all the time. I will also bring my Taurus 94 then.

The decision has been made....after shooting Johns MP 15-22 the other night at SS, I went ahead and ordered one from Tony. I cant wait to get my hands on it and start playing around with my first rifle & first 22lr caliber weapon. Cant complain it I can shoot over 500rds for less then $20!

-Scott

Thanks guys! I can't wait...Tony says it should be in on Monday. Any perticular ammo that you guys have found your MP 15-22's to dislike? I want to start picking up ammo over the weekend so I have it here when the rifle shows up.

-Scott

CCI mini mags are excellent and I've also used Federal bulk ammo without any problems.