dajonga

410 or 20

I would like to get a shotgun to try my hand at informal clay shooting at Stafford forge with my 9-year-old son.

Would a 410 like the Mossberg 510 Super Bantam be worth considering for clays?

On a slghtly unrelated note, can the fancy defensive 410 ammo for the Judge series of pistols be used out of a shotgun? Not that home defense is really needed, just a question.

Thanks for your thoughts.

410 is quite challenging for clays. The number of pellets in one shell is significantly less than a 20 ga.

#9 shot has 585 pellets per 1 oz.

12 ga usually packs 1-1/8 oz of shot in one shell for target loads = 658 pellets

20 ga ranges from 7/8 to 1 oz = 512 to 585 pellets

410 bore is ~1/2 oz = 292 pellets

Definitely go with a 20 ga. Your son can grow into the gun as opposed to growing out of it. There's nothing wrong with a .410, I just think the 20 ga. is better. A 20 ga. is perfect to boost confidence at the early stages as it helps gain anyone's interest when they are doing well. Some .410's can be a frustrating experience for a beginner shooter. If you reload shotshells, you can make light 3/4 oz. reloads @ 1050FPS-1100FPS that are easy on young shoulders yet still offer enough shot to make consistent hits on clays at most ranges. .410 & 28 ga. shells will always be more expensive. And they are not offered in as many loads or varieties as the others. Standard payloads in a 20 ga. normally run from 7/8 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. in 2 3/4" shells. And up to 1 1/4 oz. in 3" shells.

I started out my three with a 20 ga. with a short stock, using light 3/4 oz. reloads, and they were breaking clays confidently after a couple of sessions; and enjoying themselves!

BSA uses 20ga pump guns for clays and youths never have a problem with them. You can also use it to hunt with in the future should you/your son decide to try that. I was hunting with a 20ga bolt action with no issues shooting buckshot at 10yrs old. I was not a big kid, either.