hd2000fxdl

NJ and AZ resident Querstion

Ok, We have hashed out a few threads regarding these 2 states, but here is a curve ball for you. I have a home here in NJ, there is another one in AZ, 1 is a hose my folks own, the second is my home. Say I commute to work, yes fly back each week, I work 3 or 4 days a week in NJ and spend my off days 3 or 4 (depending on how hany days I worked) in AZ. This is something I have been thining about doing for a few years and this oppertunity just might be available for me. The other option for work is woring the 1st-15th in NJ and taking the 16th-the end of the month off and living in AZ.

Now I can't commit to saying where my Wife and Child are going to be, I may keep them here in NJ, or take adavantage of the AZ schools system for when my daughter comes of age to attend college. This would be a commute not any type of seperation or anything like that, it's I can fly 365 days a year for free and might use this to my advantage.

Now, I would actually be living in both states 12 months a year, now I know some will say well only half being that you not in your home for 12 months. I say what about when I travel either for business or say I take a a month at a time and visit the islands and do this 3 or 4 times a year, would that disqualify someone from being a resident?, I'd say no, but what's your take on this.

I know this is an off the wall and different question, but it is something that I could start tomorrow if I wanted.

Also for you dual state folks, expamle FL, how do you handle DL License, registration, etc? Note this wouldn't be winter in one place and the other the reast of the year, but full time in each state all year, well discounting 10 weeks vacationing out of the country.

How would gun purchases work, and if I did get either an AZ ID and kept my NJ DL license and kept my NJ FID, or just change over all to AZ and just drive around a AZ registered car in NJ.

Here is the other issue that is of concern or cause of now commiting to one state or another. NJ gun laws are garbage and AZ is the free America, also while NJ is very expensive, AZ is more so when it come to registering vehicles, I can register 3 cars/truck plus 2 Harleys for a total of under 250 bucks a year here in NJ, while if I had to move that to AZ I would be probably about 400-800 (never did actual pricing but it's very close) for a total of probably over 3200 bucks a year. Yes I said that right and it's not a typo, but I will say my property taxes in NJ are 1000 a month while AZ is under what a quarter of the years costs me for the whole year.

You see I am trying to have my cake and eat it also, probably can't pick and chose but wold like to get ideas.

Onother thing is I could do the DL in AZ and be a AZ resident and take advantage of AZ laws, and keep my wife and put all vehicles under her in NJ for that cost savings.

Idea?

Harry

states have rules as to what constitutes residency. I would be a resident in the cheaper state personally. Which ever one was financially beneficial to me, would be my choice.

Now if they were close, I would choose the better gun rights.

Don't forget about taxes. If you claim residency in AZ and work in NJ, you'll have to pay states taxes in both. Not sure if AZ has state tax but you get the idea I hope.

states have rules as to what constitutes residency. I would be a resident in the cheaper state personally. Which ever one was financially beneficial to me, would be my choice.

Now if they were close, I would choose the better gun rights.

Don't forget about taxes. If you claim residency in AZ and work in NJ, you'll have to pay states taxes in both. Not sure if AZ has state tax but you get the idea I hope.

Good info, Glad you brought up the taxes, forgot about that was just thinking property taxes that are paid. Hope I didn't forget anythig else but you folks are a sharp group and I figure I'd get other ideas. Like I said, just something I am thinking about and the tax issue won't be on issue in another 5 years anyway being I am getting tired of this work thing getting in the way of my fun.

Harry

You need to be very careful with this type of situation. My dad moved down to Florida last year and he has to spend a number of days outside of NJ in order to claim non-residency. In this case he was trying to avoid paying NJ tax, and if they think you are close to the limit, they will investigate and will say your a resident if it is close enough to the days required in state, and you will have to prove what days you were and were not in state. They are money grubbers and will try and make you a resident. And in this case you are not an AZ resident, cant be 2 at once. Be very careful and read into this a lot more. you can get into a lot of trouble with this.

His boss was in the same situation, he works in NJ and has a appt. here, but lives in Ct. He was close to 3 days being non-Nj resident, but apparently his daughter lives at there appt, and they had a list of phone calls made from the appt when he said he was in CT. they nabbed him and made him pay for NJ tax, for that year he was a NJ resident. what a scam!

You need to be very careful like i said, just because you claim residency in one state, doesnt necessarily mean the state will agree. NJ will fight for your residency because they want your money.

I'm not entirely sure how the tax system works with liveing and working in 2 different states, but i think you pay the state in which you work, and if there is difference you pay that to the state you live in. You def. dont pay full tax for both states tho.

ny has just added a curve ball to all this, their is legislation to tax summer homes as residents and do away with non resident homes so infact you become a resident of both states.. :facepalm:

I don't think they consider you to be an actual resident, and this happened just recently. They want your money, this was put in place to bypass the residency/non-residency issue so they dont have to deal with it, they just say give me your money. I know of a couple people who sold there houses in up-state already.

I don't think they consider you to be an actual resident, and this happened just recently. They want your money, this was put in place to bypass the residency/non-residency issue so they dont have to deal with it, they just say give me your money. I know of a couple people who sold there houses in up-state already.

Re-read the article about it.

Mr. Pinto ruled that the couple's Long Island vacation home qualifies under the law as a permanent abode because it was suitable for living year-round-whether or not the couple actually stayed in the home wasn't relevant. Under the ruling, if an owner doesn't spend a single a day in a home it could still count toward a permanent residence.

A vendor I work with owns a business in Florida and has a house he bought to fix up in NY, near Geneva.

He's been casually trying to sell the house, now he's now a very motivated seller. If NY wants to tax his business in FL because they've deemed him a permanent resident in NY it could cost him tens of thousands of dollars or more.

I just herd about it throught a couple friends, wasn't sure about the exact details. These states are getting out of hand, NJ is probably not to far behind passing something just like this. I know alot of people have vacation homes down the shore who live out of state.

Residency requirements for tax laws and gun laws are two very separate issues and you need to consult an accountant and a lawyer accordingly on each of these issues.

From what I know of federal gun laws, I believe you are considered a resident of the state you are physically in, if you have residences in both states. This means you can buy guns in both states if you have ID showing that you are a part time resident of that state.