Gun Guy in NJ

My review of the build an AR workshop.

I attended the build and AR workshop this Saturday afternoon. I arrived early and got to watch the end of the NRA first steps class. The instructor Jimmy was also the instructor for my build an AR workshop. After he finished with his class he came over and introduced himself and was an extremely nice person. The class started on time. There was only one other student. We moved into a small but comfortable classroom and Jimmy brought in some AR’s to demonstrate how they work and what features were available. He began class by going over the features that make an AR New Jersey legal. We then went over the components of the lower and upper receiver. Jimmy really knew his way around an AR and was enthusiastic about building AR’s. We discussed all the different options for both the upper and lower receiver's including barrels, sights, handguards, triggers, grips, stocks, etc.

He also set us up with an account at Brownells. This allows us to buy parts at a discount. I saved $20 on a new set of flip up sights.

In the next class we will build the lower receiver and then spec out the parts for the upper receiver. The class after that we will build the upper receiver and test fire.

Here is an example of the discounts I am getting at Brownells.

Low Profile Gas Block - List $64.00 – Cost $49.46

FOREARM END CAP - List 19.50 – Cost $13.85

Rifle Customizable Tube -List $169.99 – Cost $121.90

Crush Washer – List $2.79 – Cost $2.20

Muzzle Brake – List $66.25 – Cost $51.70

Complete Bolt/Carrier Kit – List $199.99 – Cost $171.86

Gas Tube Roll Pin – List $1.15 – Cost $0.92

Gas Tube, 16" – List $15.99 – Cost $12.75

Twang Buster – List $4.99 – Cost $3.96

Extractor "Donuts", 5-pak – List $3.99 – Cost $3.15

BCM Charging Handle, Medium – List $47.99 – Cost $41.03

MBUS Rear Sight, Black – List $57.99 – Cost $48.29

MBUS Front Sight, Black – List $39.99 – Cost $32.06

List $694.61 - Cost $553.13 Saving me $141.48 Just on this build.

The lower receiver, the lower receiver parts kit, the stock were purchased before I took the class.

The upper receiver and the barrel will not be purchased at Brownells.

I finished putting together the lower receiver today. It was a great learning experience. I'm really glad I took this class. It took me less than one hour to put it all together. I could have never done this by myself. It would've taken a lot longer and I would've been very frustrated.

It was only me and the instructor. Yes a one-on-one class. Jimmy explained how all the parts work and gave me tips on how to make it go together easier.

I posted some photographs on my blog. http://gunguynj.blogspot.com/

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was thinking about taking this class and had a few questions (thanks for existing info btw...very helpful!):

1) I'm TOTALLY new to ARs so am I going to be looked at oddly in here for having no knowledge what-so-ever?

2) Does your Brownells discount stay in effect forever? For a year? How long?

3) I've heard building an AR takes a ton of tools that would be really expensive to build up. Do you feel you could strip down your AR and put it back together with the tools you have at home, or have you been exercising the discount to get some of the tools?

4) How did it shoot?

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was thinking about taking this class and had a few questions (thanks for existing info btw...very helpful!):

1) I'm TOTALLY new to ARs so am I going to be looked at oddly in here for having no knowledge what-so-ever?

2) Does your Brownells discount stay in effect forever? For a year? How long?

3) I've heard building an AR takes a ton of tools that would be really expensive to build up. Do you feel you could strip down your AR and put it back together with the tools you have at home, or have you been exercising the discount to get some of the tools?

4) How did it shoot?

1. With no knowledge of ARs you will fit right in. Jimmy will make you fell like family.

2 I think it does last. Mine has not expired yet.

3. To strip the AR you will not need any tools. To build one not many tools are needed but some are really helpful.

4. It shot really well. No failures of any kind.

Hope that helps.