Sign in to follow this  
NJBeretta

H&K MP5 A5 - would pinning the stock make NJ legal?

Seems like the real deal has come upon us (although not quite certain when this came to production):

http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=mp5-a5

Does anyone know whether getting the adjustable stock pinned (along with the 10 rd mag) would make this NJ compliant, or is it officially banned here because it simply bears the name "MP5" in its model number? (like its NJ-orphaned big brother in 9mm)

I know the GSG-5 is apparently legal (probably due to the one-piece fixed stock). However, I heard something about H&K wanting it off the market since the "official" version is in production.

Anyone know??

i emailed UmarexUSA, the company that is making the licensed HK MP5 A5 .22, asking if there was a NJ compliant model being made and this is the respons:

"I apologize but we do not have a NJ compliant version and i have not heard of any future plans to produce one."

looks like im sticking with my GSG-5

Check out Cohaire Arms. They make true HK clones (parts interchangability and true roller-lock action). Looks like they can even ship with 15rnd mags. I see nothing on this rifle that would make it a no-go in NJ.

CA89

My link

Looks like they can even ship with 15rnd mags

FWIW H&K makes 15 rd mags for the MP5. These are intended for when its worn concealed.

Shhhh, you'll give NJ an excuse to ban "big bullet blasting boxes designed to make firearms more easily concealable" :icon_e_confused:

Check out Cohaire Arms. They make true HK clones (parts interchangability and true roller-lock action). Looks like they can even ship with 15rnd mags. I see nothing on this rifle that would make it a no-go in NJ.

CA89

My link

Coharie Arms I belive is the latest iteration of "Special Weapons" under the ownership of Todd Bailey. WHile they are NJ complaiant in that they are not HK products, I would do a LOT of research before purchasing one.

As for the .22 Umarex... Take a GOOD read of the NJ AWB, then look at how that firearm is marked...it may fall under "Substantially Identical" because of those markings.

All of the above Said.. BUY a GSG. GSG and ATI Got Screwed by HK, HK had ZERO interest in making a .22 carbine for US import, HK has pretty much left the US Civilian market to rot since the AWB went into effect in 1994. it wasnt until they saw JUST How Popular the GSG-5 and it's variants were, and how many were sold that they all of a sudden decided getting back into the Civilian Market might be a good idea, and then they chose UMAREX? Pass. We have members here who burn Bill Ruger in Effigy for his Comments about 20 round magazines, yet would sell their kids for an HK product even after HK basically said, "If you aren't Government we dont care about you". Buy the GSG, Buy the screw upgrade kit, and if you want it to look like an Mp-5 THAT bad, buy the conversion parts.

just saw a bunch of these at the Allentown gunshow, and now I want one. Does pinning the stock make it NJ legal or do I need to do more to it.

There's no rush. I would like one but they are not worth the money to me since my arsenal is .22 heavy already. When they got shut down a year or two ago I thought they would go away. But they are still piled up at every gun show in the Lehigh Valley, and prices drop every couple months.

on order!! cant wait to start plinkin!

http://rrages.com/ Is your friend I switched out the factory plastic stock for the HK Stock and forend, I also used their replacement screw set, and Cocking-handle buffer.

DO NOT pay $34.00 for their magazines though, Promag mags are a lot cheaper and can be easily worked on to hold 15 instead of 10 rounds..

I bought mags from here, http://combatoptical.com/ as well as a crappy little reflex sight/picatinny rail combo..which so far has been more than adequate for use on the GSG.

im looking to find/keep the 110rd drum @ our Pocono house. :icon_mrgreen:

also, i ordered a retractable stock that im gonna pin while vacation for the weekend in PA.

im glad we have a house there bc I can buy **** in PA and NOT BRING them into NJ until made compliant (if needed).