alec.mc

Members of OBRPC ?

Members bring their own Steel for practice sessions. Care & common sense has to be exercised so that you do it right, so it's best to go to a regular Match to see how & why they set it up so you learn how to do it the right/safe way. You also learn to ask a lot of questions like who to get the steel from and what the ratings mean so you know what will go through it and what won't. When you pay for something, you don't want to ruin it on day one.

Don't be afraid to go introduce yourself to some of the guys & gals that bring their own stuff. They're really nice folks who will tell you what they bought & why. They may even invite you to pop-off a few rounds. Bribery with an ice-cold bottle of water is a great way to get a positive response, although experienced shooters should always bring a cooler with them this time of year especially.

Welcome to both of you!

See you around the Ranges!

Dave

Board Member

Thanks dave, i was probably going to make something myself, maybe with some 1/4 plate.

Thanks dave, i was probably going to make something myself, maybe with some 1/4 plate.

1/4" won't last long regardless of metal type unless your just shooting it with 22's and I'd still say it won't last a long time.

I'd go a minimum of 3/8" if not 1/2" stock.

Harry

Dave, maybe you can answer a question for me. In the rules it is stated that there is to only be one target per frame. I have seen people put several small targets on a frame, which for the most part seems fine to me, UNLESS the targets are at the edge, then the bullets will be hitting the wood behind the cardboard. I have put two small targets on a single frame, one above the other, is this a problem? I understand that we want the bullets to go through the targets and into the backstop, not the walls, floor, or ceiling.

From the way I read this you're talking about the Indoor Range since you mentioned walls & ceiling. It all boils-down to learning your "Cone of Fire", which is drastically different at different distances & target sizes, as well as the height of the gun's muzzle and the shooter. Since we have smaller frames for the close (7, 10, 15 yards) shooting, we had to have a rule that would be easy to read and cover all situations, including the larger B-27's & B-34 Silhouettes that barely fit on the frames. So the easy solution is to use 2 frames (if the place isn't busy) with one target on each. Now you can shoot at 2 distances without going forward of the firing line, thereby keeping things "moving-along". This also works when you're guesting someone at the Indoor, since now you each have your own frame at the same or different distances for more fun! Just remember to not "hog" all of the frames making others wait, and to clean-up good after you're done, and be safe!

I'd still go to a Steel Match so you can ask what to buy for what types of shooting (rifle, pistol, CF. Rimfire, High Power .30 cal) and to learn how to construct it so it's safe. We have Experts available at every Match, so you might as well tap into that knowledge....

Dave

From the way I read this you're talking about the Indoor Range since you mentioned walls & ceiling. It all boils-down to learning your "Cone of Fire", which is drastically different at different distances & target sizes, as well as the height of the gun's muzzle and the shooter. Since we have smaller frames for the close (7, 10, 15 yards) shooting, we had to have a rule that would be easy to read and cover all situations, including the larger B-27's & B-34 Silhouettes that barely fit on the frames. So the easy solution is to use 2 frames (if the place isn't busy) with one target on each. Now you can shoot at 2 distances without going forward of the firing line, thereby keeping things "moving-along". This also works when you're guesting someone at the Indoor, since now you each have your own frame at the same or different distances for more fun! Just remember to not "hog" all of the frames making others wait, and to clean-up good after you're done, and be safe!

God the rules really need to be rewritten, there is no complete and up to date set. Please do NOT shoot at targets in other lanes. If you are in lane 7, you should NOT be shooting anything but the target in lane 7. PERIOD. Why? because you wind up shooting the side walls and other people's targets. Also, our backstop is designed to prevent splatter and ricochets when you are more or less shooting right at it. By shooting cross lane, you increase the amount of splatter. Even more awesome, you almost 100% DON'T increase it for yourself, but only for others. Also, if you have the target in front of you at 25 yards, and one in the lane to the left at 10 yards, and you are in the middle of the range, you are probably shooting the wall. It's not designed for being shot a lot, and that and is unsafe.

Also, one target per frame in the middle. This is really only important once you move closer than 25 yards. Why? Because as you move a target closer, a short shooters cone of fire at a target taller than they are heads to the ceiling. A tall shooter's towards a target shorter than them towards the floor. We put out frames of a fixed size that try to be the least problematic for the largest gorup of shooters so those challenged in the concept of geometry won't destroy the place too bad. You put targets at the top and bottom, you exacerbate that even further.

The frames cost money? It's wood and cardboard. It's cheap. The heat for the indoor range is NOT. The armor for the walls is not. The acoustic tiling is not (seriously, one panel of that stuff is like $20-30, a target frame is about $3.20 of sticks and cardboard if that).

God the rules really need to be rewritten, there is no complete and up to date set. Please do NOT shoot at targets in other lanes. If you are in lane 7, you should NOT be shooting anything but the target in lane 7. PERIOD. Why? because you wind up shooting the side walls and other people's targets. Also, our backstop is designed to prevent splatter and ricochets when you are more or less shooting right at it. By shooting cross lane, you increase the amount of splatter. Even more awesome, you almost 100% DON'T increase it for yourself, but only for others. Also, if you have the target in front of you at 25 yards, and one in the lane to the left at 10 yards, and you are in the middle of the range, you are probably shooting the wall. It's not designed for being shot a lot, and that and is unsafe.

Also, one target per frame in the middle. This is really only important once you move closer than 25 yards. Why? Because as you move a target closer, a short shooters cone of fire at a target taller than they are heads to the ceiling. A tall shooter's towards a target shorter than them towards the floor. We put out frames of a fixed size that try to be the least problematic for the largest gorup of shooters so those challenged in the concept of geometry won't destroy the place too bad. You put targets at the top and bottom, you exacerbate that even further.

The frames cost money? It's wood and cardboard. It's cheap. The heat for the indoor range is NOT. The armor for the walls is not. The acoustic tiling is not (seriously, one panel of that stuff is like $20-30, a target frame is about $3.20 of sticks and cardboard if that).

The above is a better explanation than what I wrote on my first cup of coffee. Being aware of the Cone of Fire also means that to avoid hitting the walls, our short range target frames should be used towards the middle of the 12 point firing line. My original post forgot to say "No cross-lane firing is allowed", but that's already covered in the Rules. I in NO WAY meant to say it's O-K to do THAT! I was just saying that "you" & a friend could shoot next to each other at different target distances. You must square yourself up with ANY target so your rounds don't wander into other folks targets, especially if their frames are at the 25 yard line at the back of the Range. This is why we have the rule of only one frame per lane.

Dave, I noticed today while at the outdoor range( i think the 25yard pit ) there are a pair of steel knockdown targets off to the left hand side. I never noticed them before today, my brother says they were always there.

Are these for public use for all members ? or special event/private use ?

If for public use- how the hell do you move these things? they must weigh like 400 pounds

These are them:

5878567340_0382ccf53f_z.jpg

Thanks,

Alec

Probably League equipment that's being worked-on, or belongs to someone who had to leave them there. Either way, just leave 'em alone!

What 25 yard pit? #4, #5??

Not sure of the #'s, but it's the one directly to the left of the 50 yard range.

Thanks for the heads up about that, would of been great if they were for member use.

I'll probably wind up buying/making something to shoot at.

Cool beans! That Steel might be from the Top Gun Match on Saturday. Thanks for the heads-up.

They might use it again on Sunday. If you're around, come check it out. It looked HEAVY to me this morning when I was there. I didn't touch it either!

Cool beans! That Steel might be from the Top Gun Match on Saturday. Thanks for the heads-up.

They might use it again on Sunday. If you're around, come check it out. It looked HEAVY to me this morning when I was there. I didn't touch it either!

yeah AFAIK that is what it is from. It wasn't locked up because it IS heavy. I don't think anyone has shot it up with rifle yet because they did bother to move it into the side berm where it's hard to shoot at it.

The club did have a MUCH nicer plate rack. I believe we gave it away because it was so heavy and if we left it out it would just get shot up with rifle by idiots. It might have come back because it was REALLY way to heavy.

Thanks dave, I'll try to come check out the world class steel match this sunday, I work midnights and sleep during the day, so getting out in the morning is usually pretty tough.

If participating, any special equipment required ( ie: holster, etc )

Thanks

yeah AFAIK that is what it is from. It wasn't locked up because it IS heavy. I don't think anyone has shot it up with rifle yet because they did bother to move it into the side berm where it's hard to shoot at it.

The club did have a MUCH nicer plate rack. I believe we gave it away because it was so heavy and if we left it out it would just get shot up with rifle by idiots. It might have come back because it was REALLY way to heavy.

It looked in good shape when I was eyeballing it so see what it was, had fresh paint on it.

Shame people abuse things like that by shooting at it with ammo not meant for it.

I'd love to have something like this at the range for public use for members to use at their leisure.

A simple case of "the few spoil it for the many". Too bad, as it looks heavy-duty to last a while! Not for HP rifle though!

Thanks dave, I'll try to come check out the world class steel match this sunday, I work midnights and sleep during the day, so getting out in the morning is usually pretty tough.

If participating, any special equipment required ( ie: holster, etc )

Thanks

It looked in good shape when I was eyeballing it so see what it was, had fresh paint on it.

Shame people abuse things like that by shooting at it with ammo not meant for it.

I'd love to have something like this at the range for public use for members to use at their leisure.

No special equipment, just bring lots (5+) mags that you KNOW work well. A safe holster & a gun you're familiar with. And NO AMMO AT THE SAFE TABLE!

No special equipment, just bring lots (5+) mags that you KNOW work well. A safe holster & a gun you're familiar with. And NO AMMO AT THE SAFE TABLE!

That'd be a problem for me as I dont own a holster. :scratchhead:

Maybe in the future, I'd still like to try to come and observe to see what it's all about though.

When my wife and I shoot indoors there we setup two targets next to each other at the 7 yard line, or so. I usually have two different handguns which we share. I'll do a mag from port #1, she'll do 6 shots from her revolver from port #2. Then we'll swap ports and do another round. We never shoot from one lane to another. I also try to keep the targets centered or towards the lower side so she isn't shooting upwards. I realize that shooting downwards and possibly hitting the floor downrange is a bad thing also. We try to make sure that all the shots will go straight into the rear backstop.

That'd be a problem for me as I dont own a holster. :scratchhead:

Maybe in the future, I'd still like to try to come and observe to see what it's all about though.

For Static Steel you don't really need a holster. You stand in a 4' x 4' "box" alongside a low table where you have your extra mags. You can start at the "Low-Ready" position with the gun pointed at the ground at approx. a 45 degree angle. You have five steel plates. When you shoot the five, you're done with that "run" so you reload without crossing yourself, with your finger along the slide (not in the trigger guard). Then you do it 4 more times under the supervision and direction of the R-O. After you drop the last mag, unload and show clear to the R-O, you "bag" the gun in a bag (rug with zipper), or a hard plastic case of some sort to secure it. At that point the R-O calls the line "Clear". After brassing & painting, that's how you take the cased/bagged gun to the next stage. Rather a safe convenient way of being very safe and having the maximum amount of fun with minimal expense. No fancy equipment, belts, holsters, etc.

I haven't shot the Pro-Am format of Knockdown Steel, so I don't know the SOP. In Pro-Am, you run & gun like USPSA and must knock-down as many plates as you can within a "Par" time.

Either way, once you show-up, you'll want to try it! And some of the Gang here may be able to loan you equipment like extra mags or a holster or mag pouch to have some fun with for the day.

The FUN starts when you SHOW UP. Worth taking a vacation day for IMHO cause Steel is contagious!

Dave

When my wife and I shoot indoors there we setup two targets next to each other at the 7 yard line, or so. I usually have two different handguns which we share. I'll do a mag from port #1, she'll do 6 shots from her revolver from port #2. Then we'll swap ports and do another round. We never shoot from one lane to another. I also try to keep the targets centered or towards the lower side so she isn't shooting upwards. I realize that shooting downwards and possibly hitting the floor downrange is a bad thing also. We try to make sure that all the shots will go straight into the rear backstop.

Sounds to me like that's the right way to do it! You're both obeying the rule of NO cross-lane firing by switching ports and shooting only at one target on a frame. If you set-up more towards the middle of the range, you won't have a "Cone-of-Fire" issue with the left wall to the left of port #1 in the example you just gave. Try to use #3-6 on the left side and #7-10 on the right side to stay away from the walls to be even more vigilant, and thanks for caring.

Dave

Well I was a stupid optimist. Someone DID drag them out and DID shoot them with a rifle.

Bonus, they weren't OBRPC's. The were CJRPC's and on loan to OB for a match. So we now have to replace them to the tune of several thousand dollars.