theduke

HR 822 National Right to Carry

Today's NRA ILA Alerts this morning mentions the Bill, but doesn't say anything about needing a CCW from your own state.

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Friday, February 25, 2011

Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

To read more about this legislation, please click here.

Today's NRA ILA Alerts this morning mentions the Bill, but doesn't say anything about needing a CCW from your own state.

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Friday, February 25, 2011

Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

To read more about this legislation, please click here.

a person who is carrying a valid license which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms

Thats the confusing part. For residents of normal states they would see it as meaning In addition to where they carry now. To us it could very well mean that you would need a NJ CCW first. I just see people in NJ getting screwed because that always seems to be the case.

a person who is carrying a valid license which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms

Thats the confusing part. For residents of normal states they would see it as meaning In addition to where they carry now. To us it could very well mean that you would need a NJ CCW first. I just see people in NJ getting screwed because that always seems to be the case.

Yep. The NRA doesn't state that. Hopefully they would fight to have that removed.

The point of the bill is to enforce reciprocity among all states that issue licenses or permits at all. If you have a carry permit from your home state you can carry in any state that allows carry at all, subject to the local carry laws for the least restricted permit or license they issue. If you have a license from any state but not one from your own state, you can carry in any carry-allowing state except your home state. Lastly, one key point is that a state cannot increase carry restrictions without impacting retired police, security, or other persons. The bill demands the least restricted carry rules in the state to apply to anyone who carries legally there under this bill. So to screw a citizen from PA carrying in NJ on their PA license, they would also have to screw retired and visiting LEOs, security, etc... At least this is how I see it all laying out, IANAL.

This bill would be attached to must-pass legislation such as the national debt limit increase coming up. Attached there, the President will sign it, IMO. With just about everyone but NJ residents able to carry here, it should create tremendous pressure coupled with the federal Muller case to change the laws to shall issue here. Also the courts would take the will of congress stated so clearly and strongly into consideration when deciding cases.

It would be a big win for 2A rights.

to you.. maybe..

to me... yes...

to the general public? probably not..

I tried a month ago. My job puts all the open positions for the company on an intraweb site. I put in for a position in Colorado. Unfortunatly they wanted someone who could start sooner than the 3-4 weeks it would take me to get there.

This could be very good for us , just think if NJ allows other states CC license holders to carry in our state it would say YES we allow CC inturn opening the door for us , meaning that we(NJ) will allow someone from another state to carry a gun in NJ but not our own people , do i hear major lawsuit OR they could deny the bill which would actually be breaking their own law since we technically have a CC law so either way if the bill passes it may force NJ to show their hand ......

what would be the odds of nj to go ,no issue, as a way to prevent non resident people from ccw here....this whole thing could open a big can of worms..if nj prevails and maintains the justifiable need requirement vs states that dont,,how would they(nj) treat that seeing as how non residents have to follow the state law they carry in....see what i mean?

i know thats alot of supposing but......

Lastly, one key point is that a state cannot increase carry restrictions without impacting retired police

Retired police are already copvered under LEOSA. Different set of rules.

if nj prevails and maintains the justifiable need requirement

There are already "may issue" states that require a "justifiable need" that are not that picky and will accept any reasonable need listed.

I don't think NJ would gp to no carry.