Sign in to follow this  
cold shot

S&W Model 642

Hey guys,

Looking to get a snubbie and the one that comes to the forefront for me is the S&W Model 642. It feels good and have heard it being one of the more popular snubbies.

What I am looking for is if it's comfortable to shoot with such a light frame.

I am also open to other hammerless-type snubby suggestions.

Thanks

I have a Ruger LCR, you are more than welcome to shoot her. I'll be at Shore Shot Tuesday and if you come she'll make the trip. As far as your choice, just remember the lighter you go the less she'll be shot.

It can be painful with +P depending on the grips. The light weight is what makes it popular but also makes it harder to shoot. Recovering from the recoil will take extra time. There are those who will say it's a SD gun and at the short ranges it doesn't matter. As Ray said you won't want to shoot it much. I like to practice a lot with whatever I'm carrying. I prefer a steel J frame size gun. The 19-24 oz weight (depending on model) vs the 14 or so of an airweight makes a difference.

I had a S&W 640 issued and liked it very much. It's DA only but I found the DA very smooth out of the box (those damn MIM parts again). It was 357 but I carried +P or +P+ in it. I could hit man size steel silhouette targets consistently at 100 yards.

Hey guys,

Looking to get a snubbie and the one that comes to the forefront for me is the S&W Model 642. It feels good and have heard it being one of the more popular snubbies.

I am also open to other hammerless-type snubby suggestions.

Thanks

It's a great gun. It takes about a box of ammo before your hand starts feeling the recoil. It's comfortable to carry (the limited times i carried it in PA), but it takes practice to get used to the sights.

While I can understand your desire for a hammerless snubbie, I think the 642 is less than desirable. You are coupling a relatively heavy DAO, with a very light (15 oz.) gun. At contact distance this will make very little difference, but in a situation where there would be some distance and adequate time, I'd prefer the option of SA fire and the attendant lighter trigger pull. In this instance you can have your cake and eat it too. Look at the 638. It gives you a shrouded hammer for snag-free carry, but allows SA fire if possible. DA would be the same with either model, I just like the option of being able to go single action. I changed out the Uncle Mikes Boot Grips (OE at the time) for Hogue Bantams, which are slightly lighter. Not a range gun, but I have others that are far more painful to shoot.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

+1 to what Pizza Bob said.

The 637 or 638 can both be fired in single action. I was also looking at the 637 Pro. It has an adjustable front sight and barrel ported. I'm not sure if the porting will make the gun obnoxiously loud. It specs at 16.7oz. and cab be had for around $500. I've shot an LCR and wasn't thrilled with DAO.

I believe the problem with adjustable sights and single action hammers is they can get snagged on your clothing in a concealed carry situation. of course that's not a problem in jersey, but for us with out of state CCW permits it might be an issue.

I disagree with Rick and Bob. I WANT to pull out the 38 from a pocket or ankle rig without catching the hammer on cloths. This is all a moot point, if your pulling out a gun in self defense your really not gonna be looking to cock the hammer. Pull out gun, Point, pull the trigger. Repeat step 3 if needed. The shrouded hammer versions or cut hammer versions are NOT easy to cock, even at the range. Try that when you pull it out and it'll be a cluster fugg. Stick with simplicity in a carry gun. Glock 19 followed by a Ruger LCR. Can't beat the combo.

Pull out gun, Point, pull the trigger. Repeat step 3 if needed.

And nothing prevents you from doing exactly that with a 638. OTOH, if, as good doctrine dictates, cover is available and I can take advantage of it, then I have the OPTION of utilizing the gun in SA mode for more accurate aimed fire.

I disagree with Rick and Bob. I WANT to pull out the 38 from a pocket or ankle rig without catching the hammer on cloths. This is all a moot point, if your pulling out a gun in self defense your really not gonna be looking to cock the hammer. Pull out gun, Point, pull the trigger. Repeat step 3 if needed. The shrouded hammer versions or cut hammer versions are NOT easy to cock, even at the range. Try that when you pull it out and it'll be a cluster fugg. Stick with simplicity in a carry gun. Glock 19 followed by a Ruger LCR. Can't beat the combo.

I have a 638.

It's not hard to cock the hammer.

I see no advantage to a DA only gun. My 638 won't snag.

SW638-2.JPG

Come on, are you REALLY gonna think of cocking the hammer on your CC piece? No

Sure, more options are great. But I'm just trying to keep things simple.

You practice clearing your house at 3am in your underwear, I practice drawing and cocking my 638 from the front pants pocket of my dockers.

• Like 1

You practice clearing your house at 3am in your underwear, I practice drawing and cocking my 638 from the front pants pocket of my dockers.

Two Shay

But who said I was in my underwear? Don't wanna have to shoot a perp in my tighty whiteys.

Stay on topic Daniel please.

All the posts above have good points. It's up to the OP to decide on what snubbie is right for him. All I can say is that a 5 shot snubbie is the perfect gun for concealed carry. So he's got the right firearm, just has to figure out which configuration.