DevsAdvocate

S&W 22A-1 .22lr broke.

Broke at Bullethole yesterday, left it with the smith to diagnose (plus I was super mad at it)... the slide release broke somehow... either the spring or something else. But the slide won't lock back on an empty magazine, and the release gets all jammed up and hard to push down. Also the trigger went from like a 5lb to a 10lb... :angry:

Sigh... what a mess.

Should I leave it at BH for the gunsmith to look at? (diagnose, etc) Or should I pick it up and talk to S&W? I would rather avoid driving to Belleville at this time... :icon_e_confused:

This is a new gun? Send it back.

And old gun, I would take home and try to figure out what the problem is first before I dropped it off at a smith. It could be something simple or at least a part that is cheap that is easy to replace.

Broke at Bullethole yesterday, left it with the smith to diagnose (plus I was super mad at it)... the slide release broke somehow... either the spring or something else. But the slide won't lock back on an empty magazine, and the release gets all jammed up and hard to push down. Also the trigger went from like a 5lb to a 10lb... :angry:

Sigh... what a mess.

Should I leave it at BH for the gunsmith to look at? (diagnose, etc) Or should I pick it up and talk to S&W? I would rather avoid driving to Belleville at this time... :icon_e_confused:

Take a look at this you tube video, and if you feel comfortable with doing this, you should be able to diagnose what the problem is and how to fix it. Also a good deep cleaning can also work wonders over the normal field strip cleaning.

Harry

ETA: Malsua did make a very good point, if the gun is new, S&W would be your best option, don't want to void a warranty if you don't have to.

This is a new gun? Send it back.

And old gun, I would take home and try to figure out what the problem is first before I dropped it off at a smith. It could be something simple or at least a part that is cheap that is easy to replace.

I'll go pick it up tomorrow then... :-(

I'll go pick it up tomorrow then... :-(

Is it new or old?

Smith is very good about sending replacement parts. They didn't charge me. Check your recoil spacer(The plastic thingy the guide rod goes into) and make sure it's sitting in the right spot.

Edit: Clean the firing pin channel, the firing pin, and inspect the firing pin for any cracks if it's misfiring.

Is it new or old?

Smith is very good about sending replacement parts. They didn't charge me. Check your recoil spacer(The plastic thingy the guide rod goes into) and make sure it's sitting in the right spot.

Edit: Clean the firing pin channel, the firing pin, and inspect the firing pin for any cracks if it's misfiring.

Brand new... just out of the box. Fired 8 shots.

Did you function check the gun before firing it? Did you strip it and clean it before firing it.

Call Smith Wesson, they will replace it. They have fantastic CS.

Yes to both. Though I tried not to dry fire it too much as it is a rimfire.

Got it back from BH... I'm gonna call S&W tomorrow and get them to ship me a pre-paid label for factory return.

A couple people I know on the BG380 site say S&W is getting a little slow mailing the labels but there is an option for them to E-Mail you one. Not sure how that works but they said they got it the next day or the following compared to just over a week being reported by some.

Harry

A couple people I know on the BG380 site say S&W is getting a little slow mailing the labels but there is an option for them to E-Mail you one. Not sure how that works but they said they got it the next day or the following compared to just over a week being reported by some.

Harry

They E-mail you the label and you tape it on! M$ sent me one for my xbox years ago, very simply, i only did this because i still had the shipping box they sent me from the last time it broke, because if they mail u the label u get the shipping box for free. No point in waiting for one in the mail unless they send you a box with it. You have to bring it to a hub anyway, if there are issues with the label they can throw a new one on.