SkinsFan

Bow hunting

...except a lot of cash. I am still surprised at how expensive a bow can be.

they are just like electronics. Every year they release something a little better that makes you want to sell yours and upgrade.

you know about bows? i want to get an entry level compound bow. i have no idea where to begin. just to screw around in my backyard.

That's a loaded statement...

Try Archery Talk or NJ Hunter if you're looking for an inexpensive used compound Steph - also, go to one of the local stores and have them measure your draw length.

Does anyone here bow hunt? I have a couple compounds in my garage. I find bow hunting to be more sporting than rifle hunting. I've always wanted to learn but have no one to tag along with

I just got my first bow, and plan on bowhunting soon.

I'm thinking about getting into bowhunting and I have no experience with archery at all. I don't know what my draw length is, or what draw weight I'll need. What bow is best to start out with? I can't spend a fortune on gear, so it has to be something affordable yet not cheap or poor quality. I probably need to go with a package, so I can get all the necessary accessories for the bow that I need as well. Any recommendations?

I live in Hunterdon County, near Clinton... What is the best store that you all would recommend I visit to find a good deal and get good honest folks that won't try to sell me stuff I don't need? Should I make a trip to a place like Cabela's? Or are there any local hunting shops that would be better?

I'm thinking about getting into bowhunting and I have no experience with archery at all. I don't know what my draw length is, or what draw weight I'll need. What bow is best to start out with? I can't spend a fortune on gear, so it has to be something affordable yet not cheap or poor quality. I probably need to go with a package, so I can get all the necessary accessories for the bow that I need as well. Any recommendations?

I live in Hunterdon County, near Clinton... What is the best store that you all would recommend I visit to find a good deal and get good honest folks that won't try to sell me stuff I don't need? Should I make a trip to a place like Cabela's? Or are there any local hunting shops that would be better?

Come to the range on Thursday night. The old farts there tell lots of tall tales and give everyone a ton of ****, but they are the #1 authority on what you need and where you should get it IMO.

Come to the range on Thursday night. The old farts there tell lots of tall tales and give everyone a ton of ****, but they are the #1 authority on what you need and where you should get it IMO.

Yeah, that's a great idea... I forgot that they have the archery night on Thursday nights! I definitely need to check it out. Where did you get your new bow at? What did you buy?

Yeah, that's a great idea... I forgot that they have the archery night on Thursday nights! I definitely need to check it out. Where did you get your new bow at? What did you buy?

I scooped mine up over on newjerseyhunter. It's an '02 Matthews Solocam.

I scooped mine up over on newjerseyhunter. It's an '02 Matthews Solocam.

Nice... seen some good deals on used bows over on NJH... but just don't know what draw length and weight I need... so hesitant to buy anything until I find that out first.

Nice... seen some good deals on used bows over on NJH... but just don't know what draw length and weight I need... so hesitant to buy anything until I find that out first.

That's why I went to the snowball league night... Shot a bunch of different stuff and figured out what size/weight I needed.

Hi Tony,

Great idea I started bowhunting and never looked back at ML and/or Shotgun.........although I do ML hunt I refuse to be in the woods during the 6 day shotgun season....

Ok, bowhunting....DON'T stress or FOCUS on the gear......for a new guy the tackle is the least important part in my opinion....granted you do need to know some key thing like draw weight, draw length...however these are easily managed... I am guessing that any fit man between 25-45 years old should be able to draw at a minimum a 50lb bow.... I know fellas who shoot 70+..I cant do that....LOL never bothered me....45lbs + will take a deer....no you didnt say if you want to shoot recurve or compound...BIG difference in style of shooting and technique needed.... Your draw length is going to be predicated on either choice above but should be close enough....

Talking gear this is what you will need minimum...

Tree stand....climbing or fixed

vest safety harness...(dont leave home without it....AND practice at home with it same with the stand)

two way radio or good cell phone with a plan left at home of where you plan to hunt....if you do fall out of the tree and the harness grabs you you can still die from suspension trauma...leave info on where you are going

Camo coveralls with gloves head gear facemask etc.

A good rucksack or fanny pack

( I am assuming you hunted before and know the rest knives scent killer etc )

Bow of choice

Arrows

Now more important than all the above....

Distance estimation ( it is KEY to bowhunting ) without it you are done...

PATIENCE, moreso with bowhunting as they need to get really really close. My max shot range is 35-45 yards...most shots are MUCH closer....

range practice practice practice....did I say practice... LOL........ shoot at every distance....

Now after you have practiced awhile.... Do this.... if you can shoot on your property... grab your bow....make that one shot at a middle distance... That may be your ONE AND ONLY shot of the season at a deer... how was it? on target? range estimation good? you get the idea....

No as far as shops...dont know any by you...up here garden state bow and reel on 23 in stockholm are good... I do not like Simon Peter... dunno personalities... Cabelas I avoid like the plauge in store that is....tooooo crazy...

Now being a new shooter.... I can say the following....if you are interested I have both a compound bow with case and matched arrows, rest sights etc...all ready to go. ( a release is your preference of type I shoot with one ) I also have a recurve bow with new fastflight string.... I purchase both these for $ 150.00 each from a bowhunter to help me get started.... I offer the same to you...your choice...just one caveat...if you do like bowhunting and buy new gear...( i shoot a Darton Vapor ) LUV IT.....you at some point do the same with the gear and move it to a new hunter at the same price !!! That way if you or the next guy DOESN'T like it you have not invested HUNDREDS of dollars on tackle that you will never use again..

If you have any other questions just ask...or call me...I luv talking bowhunting.... pm me and Ill shoot my cell over....

Best of luck and try it out..once I did I was hooked...plus the seasons are SOOOOOO long....make for alot of time in the woods....PLUS they are earlier....a bit warmer so you dont have to freeze in december if you dont want to !

Later

Nick

Thanks for all the great info, Nick! I'll PM you for more info...

http://www.washingtonstables.com/

It's right next to these stables same parking lot

I lived in Sayreville for many years and went to high school there... I know exactly where this is. I believe that whole area they now call a "nature preserve" used to be a recycling center or a dump many years ago.

I lived in Sayreville for many years and went to high school there... I know exactly where this is. I believe that whole area they now call a "nature preserve" used to be a recycling center or a dump many years ago.

Fort Grumpy is right over there, and years ago we used to go off roading back there.

There were also a few hills that were good for practicing launching and landing hang gliders also.

Harry

Fort Grumpy is right over there, and years ago we used to go off roading back there.

There were also a few hills that were good for practicing launching and landing hang gliders also.

Harry

That's it! Fort Grumpy! I couldn't remember the name... Yeah, there was some good off-roading back there, for sure. It's been many years since I moved out of Sayreville... Lots of good memories there.