Mr.Shoot_It_All

handgun purchase waiting period

I think the arbitrary "waiting period" for some states is 7 days. To quote Homer Simpson in regards to handgun waiting periods: "But i'm angry NOW!"

I think California and Connecticut have some type of waiting period, I think it's 10 days in CA.

Another completely useless law, I never understood the gun grabbers logic behind a waiting period, particularly for people that already own guns. If you were demented enough to shoot someone in a fit of rage, and already owned guns, you're not going to run out and buy another gun to commit your heinous act.

Nope. Instant purchase.. with pistol permit. After that you have to wait 30 days before your next handgun - if you have another pistol permit (One gun a month law).

I am not overly familiar with NJ's new one handgun a month law. What you are saying is that you can still buy as many permits to purchase as you want, but can only use one every 30 days?

• Like 1

I am not overly familiar with NJ's new one handgun a month law. What you are saying is that you can still buy as many permits to purchase as you want, but can only use one every 30 days?

Yes - you must wait 30 days before purchasing another pistol... unless you get an exemption...

No handgun shall be delivered to any person unless such person possesses and exhibits a valid permit to purchase a firearm and at least seven days have elapsed since the date of application for the permit;

Another completely useless law, I never understood the gun grabbers logic behind a waiting period, particularly for people that already own guns. If you were demented enough to shoot someone in a fit of rage, and already owned guns, you're not going to run out and buy another gun to commit your heinous act.

No, but you'd run out and buy your first gun to commit your heinous act.

Waiting periods actually do make sense for handguns. In absence of useless permit systems, of course.

Yep, and since permits expire in 90 days, that basically limits you to three guns in a 3 month period unless you apply for an additional 90 days, then you could get 6 permits, use the first 3, apply for the extension for the other three and get 6 guns in 6 months....of course...add the 3 months it takes to get the permits in the first place and your looking at almost a year to get 6 handguns.... Don't you just LOOOOVE New Jersey???

:girlwerewolf:

Yep, and since permits expire in 90 days, that basically limits you to three guns in a 3 month period unless you apply for an additional 90 days, then you could get 6 permits, use the first 3, apply for the extension for the other three and get 6 guns in 6 months....of course...add the 3 months it takes to get the permits in the first place and your looking at almost a year to get 6 handguns.... Don't you just LOOOOVE New Jersey???

And that assumes the date of issue on the PP is actually the date when you are allowed to pick them up. I typically get the call 5 days or so later, so my third permit is worthless from the git go. Haven't tried for an extension yet but I'm willing to bet a box of .22LR it will take 90 days to get it extended!

ALWAYS, get 6 permits and apply 2 months before the 180 days are up EVERY time. You will NEVER be without a permit in hand.

And that assumes the date of issue on the PP is actually the date when you are allowed to pick them up. I typically get the call 5 days or so later, so my third permit is worthless from the git go. Haven't tried for an extension yet but I'm willing to bet a box of .22LR it will take 90 days to get it extended!

If the permit is signed and dated on day 1 and you don't pick it up until day 5, you can use the first one on day 6, the second one on day 37, and the third one on day 68, leaving 22 days to spare.

ALWAYS, get 6 permits and apply 2 months before the 180 days are up EVERY time. You will NEVER be without a permit in hand.

If the permit is signed and dated on day 1 and you don't pick it up until day 5, you can use the first one on day 6, the second one on day 37, and the third one on day 68, leaving 22 days to spare.

You are 100% correct. I had a brain freeze. Thanks!

PS: has anyone heard anything more about the proposed purchase card to replace the PP for purchases from dealers