siderman

Opinions wanted on a few .45's

Dots suck. That is the only thing wrong with the new Browning high powers. Give me an older one with black sights any day. But yes, front post, plain back works.

Ray ray, go try one.

And ever since you become a competition guy, you've been siding with them on certain issues. Which is fine, but you as a moderator should be neutral. Your first line "dots suck", is an opinion. Not fact. And I have tried them, and I don't like them. IN MY OPINION, they belong on competition guns or target guns.

I'm sorry, but I've been shooting long enough to have strong opinions, and sometimes they change. Don't think because you created a forum for guns that it makes you the all knowing. Because your not.

• Like 2

And ever since you become a competition guy, you've been siding with them on certain issues. Which is fine, but you as a moderator should be neutral. Your first line "dots suck", is an opinion. Not fact. And I have tried them, and I don't like them. IN MY OPINION, they belong on competition guns or target guns.

I'm sorry, but I've been shooting long enough to have strong opinions, and sometimes they change. Don't think because you created a forum for guns that it makes you the all knowing. Because your not.

Ray, if you want you can shoot with a toilet paper roll taped your gun, we don't care. Its just some of us are of the opinion that 3 dot sights suck. If someone likes them fine, for me, and many others they suck. Maksim may be a moderator but that doesn't mean he can't have his own opinion of what sucks and doesn't.

As for the competition thing, please for the love of the fluffy bunny in the sky, come on out. Or don't but explain to me how aiming faster and more accurately is not a good idea in any kind of shooting? What about how competition shooters use their iron sights doesn't translate to shooting a friking gun? Get over this attitude that somehow competition shooters are different. They are just shooters who have another experience under their belt and maybe another skill in their pocket.

You want to use those sights, do it. You want to use 3 dot sights, use them. Not all my guns have 3 dots as a matter of fact, so I have other options.

There are many, MANY, reasons why I don't do competions. And the above posts are just one of the reasons.

• Like 1

Ray I have no idea where you are coming from. I offered an opinion that something sucks, and you get bent out of shape. I'm not really sure that anything I'd say would matter to you as you've apparently formed an opinion about something you never tried and somehow you've decided that everything must be viewed through that prism.

For the record, I've decided that 3 dots sights sucked before I started competition shooting, not that means jack ****. I decided they sucked the first time I used a rifle with standard open sights and realized that you never see rifles with 3 dot sights. I wondered why, and then I thought about why weapons designed to be precise at long range chose something different. And then I thought about why we would want something terribly different on a handgun. I actually thought long about it and went and did some reading. And I discovered that none of the big name pistol shooters use dots. And I asked some questions. And I tried a bunch of sights.

So if all you ever tried and all you ever played with is what came on your gun, and your are happy, so be it. I decided I'm not going to just assume that whatever came on the gun was the ideal answer. I found the ideal answer(s) for me. If they are not for you, so be it, but quit acting like I stabbed your grandmother by having a firm opinion.

I have night sights on my glock and while great for carry/close in "social" work they blow for target shooting. at 100 yards the front sight is WIDER than an IDPA target! at 25 yards they are just as wide if not wider than an NRA b4 target! Hardly possible to do anything precise with that. But for 7 yard point and shoot in the dark....it works.

Vlad G, I agree with your #2 above, that is exactly how I was lining-up the target yesterday, and I did pretty damn good at 10 yards! That was also under very good lighting conditions.

The other range I went to does not have the same lighting as Brick Armory and was VERY difficult to see what the hell I was aiming at. Trying to line-up a black rear sight, a thin black front sight, and a black target in dim lighting, well, quite frankly I sucked at it! There was NO light coming through either side of the front site, EVERYTHING was black!

I would have thought I was the worlds worst shooter if I hadn't brought the same gun and same ammo to another range and proved to myself that I actually could shoot. I told my buddy I would have been better off throwing the damn gun at the target the first night out! :icon_mrgreen::sarcastichand:

Oh okay vlad, I guess since you already new three dot sights suck than you are correct. yeah okay.

I never said the sights that came on some guns are ideal, as stock Glock sights suck.

Top shooters use target sights to win stages, but I bet their home defense guns or carry guns don't have the same sights.

We are different shooters, I'm tacticool or mall ninja or whatever that is. I where rigs, run around, and shoot steel and stuff.

Your a competition shooter. Different thing altogether. Your goal is to get the fastest time and hitting in the 10 ring or A zone.

Its that simple bro

As far as 3 dot sights, it's what I learned on. My father wasn't a competitor so the guns I used in my youth are not competition choices at all. If he was a competition shooter, then I might have a different opinion.

• Like 1

Same old song and dance. Competition gun vs. hd gun. Comp.sights vs. regular sights. We had this same arguement several months ago. IMHO 3dot sights suck balls but if they work for you so be it. Regardless who uses sights at anything under 7 yards? Point shoot!

• Like 1

Same old song and dance. Competition gun vs. hd gun. Comp.sights vs. regular sights. We had this same arguement several months ago. IMHO 3dot sights suck balls but if they work for you so be it. Regardless who uses sights at anything under 7 yards? Point shoot!

Thank you Ron, that's it in a nutshell.

Top shooters use target sights to win stages, but I bet their home defense guns or carry guns don't have the same sights. Your goal is to get the fastest time and hitting in the 10 ring or A zone.

Its that simple bro

Yes it is that simple regardless of your target, you want to be able to hit it in the 10 ring, A zone, down zero, COM or head shot as fast as possible. Hell use a red dot, it is becoming tacticool.

Ray you are the only one in this conversation that makes the distinction between competition use and not. I use the same sight I use in competition on my home defense guns. Quit viewing everything like there is some great divide between "normal people" and "competition shooters". There friking isn't and a lot of those competition shooters do a lot of other shooting things.

• Like 1

Not really anything to apologize to me for, I'm laid back like that. I just wish you stop making everything about those evil competition guys. I worry about zombies just much as the next guy, you know. Well .. maybe not as much as you, but still .. I worry ;)

Not to make this a zombie thread (But I will), it's just a phrase I use in regards to something bad happening in my area. The power outage in 02 and Katrina opened my eyes big time.

I have made some bad comments in this thread to good people on this thread and I want to apologize to Maksim, Vlad and Ronny.

I take offense to being called good people. Don't ruin my reputation!

And Zombies are still stupid.

Ray Ray....

My issues with dots have been way before USPSA. I have no problem with most, however it is about preference.

Personally, I cannot shoot for crap my new Mark 3 BHP, because it has the high viz sights, yet I can shoot the lights out with the older ones without the dots, and straight black sights. Why? Somehow, my vision. Yet... the same gun when J0n shot it... was completely different experience.

Same thing with glock sights. I actually like the stock glock sights and dont see why people change them out.

No one has any issues with anyone's opinion. They are just that opinions. However if you want people to take your opinion seriously, at least give a little info about it.

I dont think I have used anything other then 3 dots except when I shot some glocks (which we know I cant shoot for sh!t.

Oh and on Mike G's revolver with the target sights.

That was nice.

All my gubns have 3dots on them, so I just don't know any better.