Kaiser7

What CAN I own?

I'm a big fan of military style weapons, not so much the AR, but things like the M1A, and various other semiauto rifles. I was considering several, that won't break the bank, but would be fun to shoot. These included the CETME, Mini-14, even an SKS. However, these are all banned. Granted, there are M1s around for less than an M1A, but still.

And I know there is the post about what is/isn't legal in terms of semiauto rifles, that's pretty much what broke my heart. XD What I was wondering was if anyone could recommend any rifles to me, and if you have a rough estimate on the going price, that would be appreciated too. Thanks for the help.

Dont quote me, but I THINK an SKS is legal as long as it has a fixed magazine

Actually, you're right about that, however, I'm not that big of a fan of them I suppose, at least, not with a fixed mag, as reloading it would be a pain I think.

I guess I'm kind of just venting in frustration at this point, but why wouldn't a CETME or Mini-14 be legal as long as it has the parameters of legality, IE semiautomatic only, no more than 10, or 15 rounds in the magazine ( I believe it is 15 to be legal in NJ), and meets the other criteria?

I suggest you do a bit more research, especially in the C&R section. Most vintage rifles, are legal in NJ, or variants. SKS's are legal, and great rifles. If you think they are slow to reload.... have you tried stripper clips? Or whats the rush?

SKS goodness for you. Jon beat alot of guys shooting those fancy AR's with box mags, and my stupid AK Variant. =)

I suggest you do a bit more research, especially in the C&R section. Most vintage rifles, are legal in NJ, or variants. SKS's are legal, and great rifles. If you think they are slow to reload.... have you tried stripper clips? Or whats the rush?

SKS goodness for you. Jon beat alot of guys shooting those fancy AR's with box mags, and my stupid AK Variant. =)

Hope you see this Maksim, as you seem to be someone that could help me.

What AK variant do you have? I thought those were banned. Yeah, I'm not opposed to the SKS, I guess I'm just butthurt at not being able to grab a CETME, they're beautiful. I suppose I am a little weird, since my essential pickyness with guns comes from my love of reliable, higher caliber, longer range guns that just LOOK purdy to boot. Also, it might just be a misconception, but I've always feared Russian made guns aren't as accurate as other guns. I guess I should just get over it since the only semiauto military style rifles available in Jersey are ARs, M1s, and the SKS.

Kaiser,

You are misunderstanding the laws. Do a search on the forum for what is legal. Practically any clone of what is written into the law is legal in NJ. Please understand that this has been beaten to death. Search and you shall find. BTW, mini-14s are legal.

Maks, what competition was this that jon was shooting at?

Oh, an to the OP--go to Paul if you want a clone of the evil rifles. You really don't want an SKS with detachable mags anyway, legalities aside, you need special mags and/or an adaptor, addig to the complexity of a very simple and reliable design

Maks, what competition was this that jon was shooting at?

Oh, an to the OP--go to Paul if you want a clone of the evil rifles. You really don't want an SKS with detachable mags anyway, legalities aside, you need special mags and/or an adaptor, addig to the complexity of a very simple and reliable design

Matty,

It was the Rifle side stage at the Shongum monthly USPSA match.

If you like CETME's check out a PTR-91. http://www.ptr91.com/

Thanks! It'll take a while to save up for one of those, but I think they look great. Plus, I have an old CETME wood stock/foregrip lying around (Long story as to why) so maybe I can see about slapping that on. The wood just looks so nice on the G3 platform.

Even if the the rifle is stamped "Avtomat kalashnikov type" which is what the law bans, if it is stamped "AK" how can it be proved what it stands for? "AK" is not banned. "AK" can stand for awesome kittens. Its like saying your glock is illegal because the G on it can stand for Galil which is on the list and illegal.

Thanks! It'll take a while to save up for one of those, but I think they look great. Plus, I have an old CETME wood stock/foregrip lying around (Long story as to why) so maybe I can see about slapping that on. The wood just looks so nice on the G3 platform.

Seems many people like them. I'm on the fence over the PTR or a DSA SA58. Matter of $$ and gun safe room at this point. :0

Regarding your wood stock parts, I would call PTR as that may affect the legality if they are foreign parts. Lots of times these types of guns are built using US and foreign parts, and sometimes the furniture counts as US parts for 922r compliance.

PTR 91 and 32 series products will accept most standard H&K/G3 wooden or plastic furniture. Please consult PTR prior to replacing any U.S. parts with foreign or surplus parts.

Even if the the rifle is stamped "Avtomat kalashnikov type" which is what the law bans, if it is stamped "AK" how can it be proved what it stands for? "AK" is not banned. "AK" can stand for awesome kittens. Its like saying your glock is illegal because the G on it can stand for Galil which is on the list and illegal.

Glenn I agree with you on this... But, we know the laws are f'd up, and NJ also knows it as well due to NJ v Robert D. Merrill. The bottom line is we are playing a status quo game. The AG has drawn an imaginary line in the sand that she will go after anything that says AK or Avtomat Kalashnikov on it regardless of the NJAC evil feature list guidelines. She also has made it clear that any new cosmetically similar type rifles such as the recent M1 carbine incident will be chased down also regardless of the NJAC evil feature list guidelines to prevent them from being sold in NJ in the first place. The status quo seems to be that she will leave any cosmetically similar type guns alone that have had a history of being sold and owned in NJ over the past 15 years since NJ v Robert D. Merrill decision and incorporation of the NJAC evil feature list guidelines.

This is the raw deal as it stands today. So until someone has the balls and enough funding to challenge the NJ AWB, this is what we are stuck with. We keep out heads low, continue on our business, don't draw attention, and we can continue this until we can get the NJ AWB declared unconstitutional.

To the OP, please please do not call the NJSP asking "mother may I" regarding certain types of guns. Just go to one of the vendors in our vendor area, and they will assist you with any questions on the type of rifle you are looking for.

To the OP, please please do not call the NJSP asking "mother may I" regarding certain types of guns. Just go to one of the vendors in our vendor area, and they will assist you with any questions on the type of rifle you are looking for.

Yeah, sorry about that, I misunderstood the law, thinking it also applied to anything similar, so an off brand like MAK or whatever would also be banned.

And sorry for rehashing what, in retrospect, is obviously something that you're all sick of. I did try searching, but my terms probably weren't the best or whatever. I suppose I just have to work on my forum etiquette. Sorry about that.

As for repealing the AWB in NJ, (which I support, a repeal that is) are we trying to work our way towards that little by little, by freeing up other rights in regards to firearms ownership? I'm actually surprised that there isn't a larger movement for this, or at least not a more vocal one. Anyway sorry for asking this question, however the answers I received are extremely helpful, and I really appreciate it.

Yeah, sorry about that, I misunderstood the law, thinking it also applied to anything similar, so an off brand like MAK or whatever would also be banned.

And sorry for rehashing what, in retrospect, is obviously something that you're all sick of. I did try searching, but my terms probably weren't the best or whatever. I suppose I just have to work on my forum etiquette. Sorry about that.

As for repealing the AWB in NJ, (which I support, a repeal that is) are we trying to work our way towards that little by little, by freeing up other rights in regards to firearms ownership? I'm actually surprised that there isn't a larger movement for this, or at least not a more vocal one. Anyway sorry for asking this question, however the answers I received are extremely helpful, and I really appreciate it.

No need to apologize. These questions always spur a good conversation. :)

There is a lot going on regarding NJ gun laws right now, with the SAF lawsuit on the "justified" clause for CCW permits, and the NJ2AS lawsuit against the NJSP to have them disclose their guidelines on the FID application process in order to force them and local PD's into compliance with the laws around timelines for permit issuance's. That's quite a bit going on in my book. Remember NJ gun owners are a very small minority, and many of us are too busy trying to making a living to pay ludicris NJ property and other taxes to have time to protest and organize these efforts.

Little by little, lets win these two, and hopefully we can move onto other things like our "guilty before being proven innocent" wording of the laws, and the rediculous do-nothing AWB.

No need to apologize. These questions always spur a good conversation. :)

There is a lot going on regarding NJ gun laws right now, with the SAF lawsuit on the "justified" clause for CCW permits, and the NJ2AS lawsuit against the NJSP to have them disclose their guidelines on the FID application process in order to force them and local PD's into compliance with the laws around timelines for permit issuance's. That's quite a bit going on in my book. Remember NJ gun owners are a very small minority, and many of us are too busy trying to making a living to pay ludicris NJ property and other taxes to have time to protest and organize these efforts.

Little by little, lets win these two, and hopefully we can move onto other things like our "guilty before being proven innocent" wording of the laws, and the rediculous do-nothing AWB.

I know, I read up on the cases they had there, and Bob at Bob's little has filled me in on a lot of stuff too. As for the permits, it took just under 2 months for mine. The dectecive said I didn't understand the law when I told him it was supposed to be no more than 30 days. But otherwise they were helpful, though they did ask for information on my employer, which, I now don't think is part of the standard paperwork. I am glad Miller (or whatever his name was) was issued his permit. If getting kidnapped doesn't count as justifiable reason, I don't know what does. I also asked this question because I worry about ordering online, because 1) you can't see it in person, and 2) I'd worry about ordering something not NJ legal. I like to go around to various gun stores just to window shop sometimes, but I don't often see the models I'm looking for, so having it shipped to a shop would probably be my only option.

It's funny, the laws are supposed to "protect us" however, I knew a guy who was selling illegal guns. It's really the old case of disarming the citizens, and doing nothing to the criminals.

I purchased a Century Arms C91 sporter from an FFL here in NJ not too long ago, it was not expensive and its a great shooter. Obviously it is ban compliant, has no muzzle attachment, no bayo lug, and it came with a 20rd mag that is cut down to hold 15. I currently have the black HK plastic furniture on it but you can put the CETME wood stuff on it also as long as you keep it 922r compliant. I also own an older mini-14 which is perfectly legal here in NJ, as is the M1A.. and you can have flash suppressors on those rifles as long as you don't have a wooden stock or bayo lug on them. There are also plenty of rifles in 7.62x39 that are legal here, WASRs are cheap, they work, and they available at a lot of shops in NJ, same with SKS.

I purchased a Century Arms C91 sporter from an FFL here in NJ not too long ago, it was not expensive and its a great shooter. Obviously it is ban compliant, has no muzzle attachment, no bayo lug, and it came with a 20rd mag that is cut down to hold 15. I currently have the black HK plastic furniture on it but you can put the CETME wood stuff on it also as long as you keep it 922r compliant. I also own an older mini-14 which is perfectly legal here in NJ, as is the M1A.. and you can have flash suppressors on those rifles as long as you don't have a wooden stock or bayo lug on them. There are also plenty of rifles in 7.62x39 that are legal here, WASRs are cheap, they work, and they available at a lot of shops in NJ, same with SKS.

A wood stock makes an M1A with a flash suppressor illegal?