Sign in to follow this  
bobblahblah

Cherry Ridge Hours of Operation?

So a buddy of mine and I joined Cherry Ridge this past Sunday with the intention of going up there a few times during the week. During the orientation meeting we were told that Cherry Ridge closes 30 minutes before sundown. This statement is also repeated on their website and on the main "sign" upon entering the property.

Today after leaving work early we headed up asap and arrived at 6:45pm and were told that the range was closing at 7pm, even though sundown is at 8:28pm. We thought we would have around an hour to shoot, but we were pretty much told the range was closed and we couldnt. After further inquiring as per hours of operation, we were told the range closes at 7pm and that MAYBE next week they will extend the hours until 7:30pm. Needless to say we were pretty bummed after driving 30 minutes up and having to essentially turn around.

So my question is, does the range ACTUALLY ever close 30 minutes before sundown, or is there usually un-posted closing times? Going by the sundown rule, that provides plenty of time past 7:30 in the summer to shoot, which is perfect for those of us stuck at work until 6pm like myself. Is this something typical of Cherry Ridge, or will their hours continually extend throughout the summer?

Was it a newbie mistake? Maybe, but if they have specific hours like they close at 7pm, then it should be posted. Nowhere online, on their sign, or during the orientation do they state the hours are any different than the "sundown" rule.

So a buddy of mine and I joined Cherry Ridge this past Sunday with the intention of going up there a few times during the week. During the orientation meeting we were told that Cherry Ridge closes 30 minutes before sundown. This statement is also repeated on their website and on the main "sign" upon entering the property.

Today after leaving work early we headed up asap and arrived at 6:45pm and were told that the range was closing at 7pm, even though sundown is at 8:28pm. We thought we would have around an hour to shoot, but we were pretty much told the range was closed and we couldnt. After further inquiring as per hours of operation, we were told the range closes at 7pm and that MAYBE next week they will extend the hours until 7:30pm. Needless to say we were pretty bummed after driving 30 minutes up and having to essentially turn around.

So my question is, does the range ACTUALLY ever close 30 minutes before sundown, or is there usually un-posted closing times? Going by the sundown rule, that provides plenty of time past 7:30 in the summer to shoot, which is perfect for those of us stuck at work until 6pm like myself. Is this something typical of Cherry Ridge, or will their hours continually extend throughout the summer?

Was it a newbie mistake? Maybe, but if they have specific hours like they close at 7pm, then it should be posted. Nowhere online, on their sign, or during the orientation do they state the hours are any different than the "sundown" rule.

I've never found it to close a half hour before sundown. The sun sets at 8:30 from June 18 to July 6 but the range will close at 7:30. I've never seen it open to 8 but it's possible.

It's best to just ask an RO or call ahead.

I've never found it to close a half hour before sundown. The sun sets at 8:30 from June 18 to July 6 but the range will close at 7:30. I've never seen it open to 8 but it's possible.

It's best to just ask an RO or call ahead.

Thanks, yea I will from now on. I just found it odd, and a bit annoying they advertise one schedule, and apparently have a totally different one. I was also kind of hoping they would eventually be open later during the longer summer days.

A lot of the time if there is only 1 person at the range, the RO's don't feel like staying late and I don't blame them as well. There will be times where they will be there from 4-7 without a single person around and someone shows up at 7:15 looking to shoot for the next hour when they are already packed up ready to close the place down.

IMO if you can be there by 5:30 6 the latest, you should get a solid hour of shooting in, and after work, that's all you really need.

A lot of the time if there is only 1 person at the range, the RO's don't feel like staying late and I don't blame them as well. There will be times where they will be there from 4-7 without a single person around and someone shows up at 7:15 looking to shoot for the next hour when they are already packed up ready to close the place down.

IMO if you can be there by 5:30 6 the latest, you should get a solid hour of shooting in, and after work, that's all you really need.

Your right Matt - and another thing to consider is that with the size of the place they may have to drive it a few times to make sure everyone is out of there. So if they tell peeps 7pm the RO could have the place locked down by 7:30.

I agree but in principal you are paying for access specified when you sign up not at least an hour less

I understand what you are saying but in reality you are joining an "association" with a range as a benefit.

And, price wise for those facilities, you are getting alot of bang for the buck.

You have my condoences, RT23 traffic sux that time of day. And, you're lucky you didn't meet the RO that likes to eat dinner at 6:30 :sarcastichand:

maybe once i get a rifle i can leave in my car, but right now with only handguns its not even close to possible to drive from work, to home, to the range by 6.

Lets be realistic. Its not like an indoor range where you close and lock the door, wipe your hands and done. Its a terrific range(es) but IMO everything administrative is an approxamation which is ok by me. You cant have a RO standing by the gate looking at his watch and backtracking 30 minute sunsets every day and closing the gate. What they should be saying is admittance stops about 90 mins prior to sunset, heres why. Say sunset is 8:00, that means the range "closes at 7:30.That then means the firing line shuts down about 7:00 or soon after to allow the guys time to finish the session, grab the targets, pack up, bs a few mins and drive out. And then theRO needs to drive all over the ranges to check.So to do get any real shooting time you need to be there by 6:00 to give yourself time to wait out a firing line and get your act together, get your target out there...Now having said all that I need to get my act together to get on over there :)

yeah i get the association and the range is a benefit and believe thats why i joined the bang for buck ratio is amazing but lets be honest its not difficult to subtract 30 mins from a sunset. my google search took milliseconds 8:26 so 7:54. last admission should be at 7 not closing the ranges at 7.

yeah i get the association and the range is a benefit and believe thats why i joined the bang for buck ratio is amazing but lets be honest its not difficult to subtract 30 mins from a sunset. my google search took milliseconds 8:26 so 7:54. last admission should be at 7 not closing the ranges at 7.

Now you are making me feel bad for you working stiffs... Tell you what. You tell me when you're going up and I'll have your targets and frames all set up so you won't have to wait for a cease fire.

That's the least I can do for one of the guys paying for my Social Security.

Im glad to see I am not the only one that has run into this. I can understand an RO wanting to leave early if no one is coming up to shoot, hell I try and do the same thing at my job. I cant blame a guy for wanting to do that. Then again if I expect or have the chance someone will come into my office, I have to be here and have it open. However, I just think the actual times the range closes should be posted and abide by. If the sign said no admittance 90min before sundown, then thats fine, as long as it is communicated properly to members.

Now I know not to go up during the week except for the rare occasion I can get off work 2+ hours early :p

Range hours are not set by the ROs. The hours are set the President and the trustees. RO work hours were cut by the management last year and they were told that the hours could not be extended unless directed by them to do so. Also, there has been a change in range management. Big Gene is still the Chief RO, but he has a new boss.....When you see him ask him about it. It is an interesting story