Tosser

The USANA saga continues...

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2011/06/meeting_between_pittsgrove_tow.html

Meeting between Pittsgrove Township and USANA Gun Club postponed due to seating limitations

Published: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 1:45 AM

By Phil Dunn / Today's Sunbeam

PITTSGROVE TWP. — The tension continues to build here between disgruntled Pittsgrove Township residents and USANA Gun Club after a planning board hearing set for Tuesday night was postponed due to seating limitations.

Wearing red, white and blue, supporters of the Sand Bridge Road gun club formed a line to enter the hearing that stretched clear into the parking lot of the Pittsgrove Township Municipal Building.

View full sizeStaff photo by Britney Lillya

Pittsgrove Township residents and USANA Gun Club postponed Tuesday's meeting due to seating limitations.

But with more than 200 people in attendance and a building capacity of 120, the planning board quickly made the decision to postpone the hearing in order to move the proceedings to a more appropriate location that could house all those who wanted to attend.

“The board should attempt to find a venue that will accommodate a larger crowd so there is a better chance for all interested parties to have a chance to cross examine witnesses,” said Planning Board Solicitor William L. Horner.

Members of the Pittsgrove Township Planning Board felt the Arthur P. Schalick High School Auditorium would serve as an appropriate place to hold the future hearing.

Horner said since it is unknown when the auditorium would be available for use they could not reschedule the hearing for a new date on Tuesday night, which is custom with postponements.

“What I would recommend is the board obtain a wavier of the deadline for decision from the applicant,” said Horner. “That will take the time pressure off the board while it attempts to schedule this with the high school.”

Counsel for USANA, Jeffrey M. Hall and Joel Ferdinand, were present at the meeting and agreed to the wavier.

“We do recognize the limitations that would be imposed if a decision was made and the court overturned it on a procedural technicality,” said Hall. “Cognizant of that and understanding the board will attempt to speedily arrange a new hearing date we do agree to the wavier.”

Hall also suggested that the board consider pushing the start of the hearing up from the normal start time of 7:30 p.m. The consensus seemed to be a start time of 6 p.m.

Outside the hearing, lingering USANA supporters and Pittsgrove residents clashed on

their opinions of the gun club.

“Me and my father were life members of the range, my father passed away a couple years ago, but I’m here to support the gun club for me and my father,” said Sicklerville resident Arthur Flagg.

USANA supporters felt their overwhelming numbers spoke to the legitimacy of the gun club.

“We are here to support USANA and show that we can’t let eight people shut down a friendly sportsmen’s club,” said Vineland resident Tito Gonzalez.

Many Pittsgrove resident were upset by their lack of entrance into the planning board meeting. They believed the gathering of supporters was a front by USANA President Skip Myers to halt the proceedings Tuesday night.

“He (Myers) stated how many seats does the high school hold and someone said I don’t know, and he (Myers) said well we will bring a thousand next time,” said Pittsgrove resident Sharon Kennedy. “So what they are tying to do is fill up that space so none of us can say anything.”

Ferdinand refuted any allegations of USANA wanting to stall the hearing. He said he had boxes and boxes of evidence with him to proceed Tuesday night.

“USANA was 100 percent ready to move forward tonight,” said Ferdinand. “If someone would like to be heard whether they are an objector or otherwise they are certainly entitled to under the law and USANA will not stop that.”

Pittsgrove resident Billie Furdyna said local residents should have a right to speak because they are the ones who live near the gun range.

“All I have to say is if they try to do this again it means they don’t want a meeting,” said Furdyna. “You think they would have yielded some of their members so we could be seated — that’s the way to get things accomplished.”

Pittsgrove resident George Stull felt the crowd that gathered was misinformed about what local residents are trying to accomplish.

“We are being portrayed as unpatriotic and un-American — some people even heard communist comments, and that is really not fair because they do not have a clear grasp of the issues,” said Stull. “We are not here to put them out of business, we are not here to take their guns. We just want the business to operate in the confines of the law, just like everyone else has to do.”

© 2011 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

• Like 1

I agree with PK, the whole article was about finding a new location for the USANA hearing due to seating limitations. There were a lot of words to say amply this: USANA hearing postponed until the township can find a more suitable location. BAM! DONE!

I remember when I was growing up a local furnature store had a "going out of business" sale multiple times a year. USANA reminds me of that store, "we may be closing, come help" I feel it just gets old. I know this attitude is the wrong one to have but **** it.

What exactly is the town asking of USANA?

This is what I have been told is the center of the issue. Many years ago USANA was given permission to operate on their present property as a nonconforming use in an Agricultural Zone. This permission was granted by resolutions that mandated that they operate as a "private, not-for-profit, sportsman's association." In a declaration by the twp's zoning officer in February 2011, certain activities were permitted to take place there and certain activities that take place there needed an application to and approval by the twp planning board. This meeting with the planning board is USANA's appeal of the zoning official's declaration. USANA is permitted to operate as a sportsman's association as long as they are a private club and operate within the structure of a nonprofit according to IRS and NJ laws. I do not believe that anyone is trying to shut them down or deny anyone's 2nd Amendment rights. They just need to get certain approvals for what they want to do there. This was explained to me by a very reliable source whose integrity I do not doubt.

The basis of the particular meeting, as I understood when I returned to USANA and talked to Skip to get my former membership back, was to get back the former hours of operation that USANA had when Skip originally ran it before the deal with the HarborSite folks who destroyed a good thing. The Pittsgrove residents succeeded in getting HarborSite out of there (I left after only a short time with HarborSite control), and it returned to Skip's control after HarborSite trashed whatever they could after Pittsgrove booted them. As one would expect, residents of Pittsgrove, especially after the HarborSite bumblings, have take to the "not in my backyard" stance. USANA doesn't have too many neighbors really, but those neighbors know how to stir it up! I grew up in Pittsgrove, family is still there, and when it was Skip's USANA originally, it was run responsibly. Hope we get the hours back! Does anyone know the rescheduled meeting? I've been out of town for the last 3.5 weeks for business.

I agree with PK, the whole article was about finding a new location for the USANA hearing due to seating limitations. There were a lot of words to say amply this: USANA hearing postponed until the township can find a more suitable location. BAM! DONE!

I remember when I was growing up a local furnature store had a "going out of business" sale multiple times a year. USANA reminds me of that store, "we may be closing, come help" I feel it just gets old. I know this attitude is the wrong one to have but **** it.

Don't worry about your 'tude, Skip already sold USANA out from under the members once and he'll probably do it again in a heartbeat if he can...just saying....

An e-mail I received from USANA today:

Hello everyone ,

Thanks to ALL who came out to the Planning Board Hearing on June 14th,2011. As you may already know over 200 of us were there to support USANA MTC. so they had to cancel that meeting and set another date at the Schalick High School in order to accomodate all of us. Well the date has been confirmed for AUGUST 23, 2011 at 6pm. The meeting will be held at the Pittsgrove Schalick High School. Skip and I will be there from 4pm on, We will be meeting at the Range most likely around 330pm for anyone who wants to parade over with us. Please remember that on June 14th they left us outside in the rain and tried to discourage us by postponing , So this time we vowed to bring MORE of us !!! Therefore , Bring a +1 with you !!! Lets show them that we are here to STAY !

"United Sportmans Association of North America Marksmanship Training Center" "Unity In The Community"

Thanks,

Ramiro"Tito"Gonzalez

NRA Certified Instructor

Pistol-Shotgun-PPITH

An e-mail I received from USANA today:

Hello everyone ,

Thanks to ALL who came out to the Planning Board Hearing on June 14th,2011. As you may already know over 200 of us were there to support USANA MTC. so they had to cancel that meeting and set another date at the Schalick High School in order to accomodate all of us. Well the date has been confirmed for AUGUST 23, 2011 at 6pm. The meeting will be held at the Pittsgrove Schalick High School. Skip and I will be there from 4pm on, We will be meeting at the Range most likely around 330pm for anyone who wants to parade over with us. Please remember that on June 14th they left us outside in the rain and tried to discourage us by postponing , So this time we vowed to bring MORE of us !!! Therefore , Bring a +1 with you !!! Lets show them that we are here to STAY !

"United Sportmans Association of North America Marksmanship Training Center" "Unity In The Community"

Thanks,

Ramiro"Tito"Gonzalez

NRA Certified Instructor

Pistol-Shotgun-PPITH

Yea unity in the community. Just like when Skip sold it out from under the members. I read the Elmer Times. Nothing there about trying to close USANA down. Skips just trying to do what Harborsite did. He'll probably sell it back to them or someone else as soon as he can. He don't care about the members. Or PDs either. Just the money. And where did all that money go from the PDs? The place is a dump. I've been to Quinton and Piney Hollow and Skip just runs a dump.

You people are too much!

Our Indoor Range is videotaped 24/7/365. It has been suggested to start taping the Outdoor Range. This is NORMAL! So do you have something to hide, or just can't hit the target, or what?

You people are too much!

Our Indoor Range is videotaped 24/7/365. It has been suggested to start taping the Outdoor Range. This is NORMAL! So do you have something to hide, or just can't hit the target, or what?

Hmm.... all of the above? or maybe I just like freedom and not being watched by every jerk off range nazi.

• Like 1

Hmm.... all of the above? or maybe I just like freedom and not being watched by every jerk off range nazi.

I can understand that, but while we are a responsible group of firearms owners there are bad apples around us. Take for example we who are members of the range are all part of the range and we are responsible to keep the place and act as if it is our range and treat it accordingly.

However somehow chairs get shot up, Rifle rounds in the indoor range a LOT larger than 22LR's and other problems. Now to keep the people who do this damage and jeopardize the rages good standing with the surrounding home owners, you would want to know who is the person or persons who are doing this.

I know I pay good money to be a member and I really enjoy the facilities and don't want some fool destroying that for me and the other members and numerous visitors who attend the many activities.

As far as video, I'd bet your commute to work and a lot of what you do in any public area that is in or close to a more populated or city area are already being recorded anyway.

Harry

Bitter much? For 60 or 120 a year the range is a great deal.

If you want well manicured ranges with nazi rso go up north, or if you want to be video taped while shooting go to cummberland rfleman.

Best range in south Jersey, by far. If it were closer I'd join as well.

HD, I understand what you are saying but.... getting yelled at at cerain ranges for fireing a revolver to fast for example cause me concern about who's doing the watching. If it were a range with qualified RO's that understand whats what, I wouldnt really care.

Shane, that's one of the reasons I was at a big loss when I started shooting USPSA, I had only shot at ranges where if you shot faster than a shot a second you got warned that we don't do rapid fire here. Add in just standing there shooting paper and no real changes isn't the best for anything other than that.

Now being a member of a private range I can shoot at the indoor range standing, prone, kneeling, draw from my holster, set up multiple targets and as long as I am shooting the target straight on I am good (want to avoid cross lane shooting). Also I can shoot as fast as my fat finger can pull the trigger, a very eye opening experience for a public range shooter who is new to the sport. I also like that we police ourselves, we don't have an RO and I'll say 99% of the time I go to the range I am all by myself, so being responsible is a must for all of us and I don't mind being filmed as long as the camera doesn't add 10 pounds to me.

Seriously, I like it as a deterrent for members who might do something to hurt the facilities existence for all of us. Also I don't know the ability for board members being able to view it live or just on tape but if it's live and something happened to a member it may assist in getting them help if needed.

Now if it was a public range with RO's I might feel differently.

Harry

Bitter much? For 60 or 120 a year the range is a great deal.

If you want well manicured ranges with nazi rso go up north, or if you want to be video taped while shooting go to cummberland rfleman.

Bitter? Just not dumb enough to fall for the same thing twice. Skip is out for himself and nothing else.