Malsua

Cherry Ridge improvements

well I despise chamber flags. I know something stupid, but I hate em. If you have ever shot a SVT-40, you know they get extremely hot extremely quick. After I melted a chamber flag in my chamber and spent 2 days picking out little chunks of plastic out of the flutes, I started saying FUGG this place. I would rather shoot in a more relaxed environment, rather than have to worry about getting muzzle swept or dealing with mall ninjas.

Funny, I don't like this place for the exact opposite reason.

I got a talking to a few weeks ago on this subject. But they were very nice about it. And on reflection post-discussion I agreed with the range officer not just because it's the rules, but because it seems the right thing to do.

I have personally had unfired cartridges in the chamber fail to extract or eject, and the safest and easiest way to clear it was to fire the round. In my case I noticed the unfired cartridges and cleared the chamber, but while sticking the flag down the magwell I can imagine the unfired cartridge going unnoticed. I get nervous enough standing at the end of a muzzle, I should not like to have an unfired round in the chamber, even if the bolt is retracted.

OK, Please explain to me how a round in the chamber will detonate the primer and fire with the action open. And if the mythical hang fire occured (a left over from black powder days) please explain what would occur to the projectile and case.

Please limit yourself to 500 words, double spaced and in an acceptable academic format.

OK, Please explain to me how a round in the chamber will detonate the primer and fire with the action open. And if the mythical hang fire occured (a left over from black powder days) please explain what would occur to the projectile and case.

Please limit yourself to 500 words, double spaced and in an acceptable academic format.

Hangfires are still ever-present today and not just limited to the blackpowder era. Handload ball powder with light loads or a weak primer and you will get the occasional hangfire. It will go boom, the projectile will be launched, the case will be intact, but the pause between the hammer striking the firing pin and the boom are a bit disconcerting. :blink:

I shoot at a private range at my club. Half the time I go I'm usually by myself. I still will use my chamber flags. It sets the tone for others who may arrive after me. And it brings me peace of mind as well.

The ability to shoot rifle at closer ranges, similar to what someone said with intermediate ranges, would be nice.

Other than that, most of what I would want to change at Cherry Ridge would be rules related. The RO's are really nice guys that are easy to get along with, so I never take anything personally, but some of the rules just don't even seem like much of a safety issue and feel unduely restrictive. For example, the rules do not allow for one to utilize a belt-attached mag pouch.

The ability to shoot rifle at closer ranges, similar to what someone said with intermediate ranges, would be nice.

Other than that, most of what I would want to change at Cherry Ridge would be rules related. The RO's are really nice guys that are easy to get along with, so I never take anything personally, but some of the rules just don't even seem like much of a safety issue and feel unduely restrictive. For example, the rules do not allow for one to utilize a belt-attached mag pouch.

I thought it was only no holster. I use mag pouches every time I go never had an issue

I thought it was only no holster. I use mag pouches every time I go never had an issue

I was also under the impression it was ok as well, since was specifically stated as being ok at the membership meeting I went to a while back, so I wore one on 2 or 3 range sessions. The last time I wore one I had an RO come up to me and advise me that any kind of gear on the waist isn't allowed. He conceeded that there had been a few membership meetings where it had been communicated as ok, furthering the confusion. It could honestly be that the RO's are mixed on whether or not they enforce this as a rule. I can confirm that, as recently as the earlier part of this year, at least one RO would politely ask you to discontinue using the mag pouch in the event he observed you using it.