Malsua

Cherry Ridge improvements

I got the ANJRPC News as Briefs yesterday and in it, Scott Bach, the president of ANJRPC discussed the range some.

Here's some points. My comments are in red, Scott's comments are bolded.

- "In June we transitioned to a professional membership processing operation"

Hurray!

- "The Cherry Ridge Range Trustees have developed an extremely proactive multi-year plan for range and facility improvements. You're going to see some much needed changes, as we upgrade and update our beloved range. We welcome your input, so please share your ideas and tell us what you think"

I'm curious as to the scope. I mean, some updates to the rimfire range, some changes to the benches and whatnot is great and all but are they talking about a 5 stand thing or something on Shotgun? I know they've said no more building but I'm certain they could find a spot for a 25yrd indoor pistol range. Hell, charge extra for the use. I'd pay it.

- "You may have heard rumors of the Cherry Ridge 'Tsunami of '11' and they're true, but you might not have known it thanks to the unbelievably responsive leadership of Chief Range Trustee John Healy"

Who needs rumors when you have pictures? :icon_e_wink:

- "In June we promoted range caretaker Scott to range manager, overseeing all range operations"

Congrats Scott! Great guy! What happened to boss Gene?

- "We've got lots more coming in 2011 and beyond, including a few legal and legislative surprises. Stay tuned and thanks for doing your part to defend Freedom!"

Always good to hear something is in the pipeline. No need to tip your hand early.

I think Cherry Ridge is at its best right now. The safety officers are firm but polite. I usually shoot Sunday mornings and there are a few regulars I usually see there and everyone seems real nice (especially when they let me have their brass). A roof over the shooting positions at the rimfire range would be nice.

I was a member of that place for a little and FUGG THAT PLACE.... too many idiots

I believe it's gotten better from what others have told me and the few times I've been there as a guest. It was the Wild West back in the 70's.

but are they talking about a 5 stand thing or something on Shotgun?

They've been talking about this for a LONG time.

they already have Lincoln trap machines, they're hidden in a shed. Hunter's Ed uses them.

Overkill for Hunter's Ed., but they should be put to use.

well I despise chamber flags. I know something stupid, but I hate em. If you have ever shot a SVT-40, you know they get extremely hot extremely quick. After I melted a chamber flag in my chamber and spent 2 days picking out little chunks of plastic out of the flutes, I started saying FUGG this place. I would rather shoot in a more relaxed environment, rather than have to worry about getting muzzle swept or dealing with mall ninjas.

well I despise chamber flags. I know something stupid, but I hate em. If you have ever shot a SVT-40, you know they get extremely hot extremely quick. After I melted a chamber flag in my chamber and spent 2 days picking out little chunks of plastic out of the flutes, I started saying FUGG this place. I would rather shoot in a more relaxed environment, rather than have to worry about getting muzzle swept or dealing with mall ninjas.

I saw a guy there last week had made his own out of a brass rod and a little piece of cloth for that same reason. No one says you need to use their favorite yellow plastic ones.

On this one Eric you are absolutely fukin right! No way I'm putting a flag in a hot chamber. I stick it in the ejection port down the mag well when the chamber is hot. If anybody complains they have a hell of an arguement on their hands even though I know I circumvented the rules.

After shooting at the Woodbury gun range in Ohio over Memorial day, it's a real bummer to shoot at CR. Carry friendly, legal to draw and fire, target changes are informal, no range flags and it's no big deal. It's pretty much just as big as CR is too, plus it has skeet, trap and a two archery ranges. One Archery range is a 1/2 mile trail, sorta like sporting clays. Best of all, it's 24 bucks a year.

I will probably always be a member of CR due to proximity but the rules, the crowds and the constant events that close the ranges on weekends are a bummer.

On this one Eric you are absolutely fukin right! No way I'm putting a flag in a hot chamber. I stick it in the ejection port down the mag well when the chamber is hot. If anybody complains they have a hell of an arguement on their hands even though I know I circumvented the rules.

i don't think this is circumventing the rules. the flag shows that the action is open, nothing can happen. that's all we need.

i shoot at around 6 different ranges, in a couple of states, and all require chamber flags. NRA competition requires range flags. I can't believe this is a big deal for anyone.

• Like 1

What about the ability to use steel spinners and reactive targets on the rifle and pistol range? If like to be able to do that. Instead of only being able to shot at targets and I don't see why they won't let you do that. Anyone know?

Steel targets on rimfire only. Afraid of ricochets.

i had to drive up to highland lakes today for a delivery, stopped by the range to take a peek and CLOSED!! lol, the one day im up there!!! i knew when i didn't hear any shots being fired something was up..

YOu always need to check the calendar. Yesterday the entire facility was reserved for Women's Day....

i don't think this is circumventing the rules. the flag shows that the action is open, nothing can happen. that's all we need.

I got a talking to a few weeks ago on this subject. But they were very nice about it. And on reflection post-discussion I agreed with the range officer not just because it's the rules, but because it seems the right thing to do.

I have personally had unfired cartridges in the chamber fail to extract or eject, and the safest and easiest way to clear it was to fire the round. In my case I noticed the unfired cartridges and cleared the chamber, but while sticking the flag down the magwell I can imagine the unfired cartridge going unnoticed. I get nervous enough standing at the end of a muzzle, I should not like to have an unfired round in the chamber, even if the bolt is retracted.

"A roof over the shooting positions at the rimfire range would be nice".

I would be willing to donate my time,tools and knowledge for that.

My votes for improvements would be:

1) Indoor range for pistol and rimfire, or even just indoor shooting port like Franklin R&R.

2) Roof over rimfire

3) 500yards (is this too much to ask? :maninlove: )

Roof over rimfire would be clutch. I don't want indoor for a)i like being outaide and b) COST!

In the future once I get appropriate arms further than 300 souls be nice.

Also update rimfire range new targets better spinners etc

Maybe intermediate Target frame holes (best I can describe them) one 100 is rifle like at 25 yds and maybe 75 but 25 mostly