liquidskin

Will ranges hold gun after shooting?

This is probably a silly question... I ask because I'm a new shooter and this may be a common courtesy due to the transportation laws. I'm planning on heading south to shore shot this weekend to shoot, but also wanted to do some other things while in the area, visit family, shop, etc. Does anyone know if public ranges will hold the gun for a few hours?

Thanks

Law or not.....that's BS that you would have to transfer ownership, who in their right mind would ever do that. Just call the range up personally and asked if the can help you out. I mean what's the big friggen deal.

I would venture that the big frigging deal is that SS would want to do everything by New Jersey's already cumbersome and confusing laws so as not to open themselves to possible liabilities and/or extensive penlites simply because someone want to go sightseeing or shopping..... Just a guess however.

What if the range had some sort of locker you could store your gun in?

This apparently would be legal. Ray's in North Plainfield used to rent out storage lockers where you could leave your guns and gave you 24/7 access. They never touched the gun you locked it up and retrieved it yourself. Many people used these for the reasons the OP stated. They stopped doing it, according to what I was told, because it was a real PITA for them and not many were wiling to pay the price.

What happens if you just drop the gun off at SS for a cleaning or sight adjust? There is no transfer for that, is there?

No transfer but as a gunsmith would they have to log it in and out AFAIK.

What if the range had some sort of locker you could store your gun in?

This apparently would be legal. Ray's in North Plainfield used to rent out storage lockers where you could leave your guns and gave you 24/7 access. They never touched the gun you locked it up and retrieved it yourself. Many people used these for the reasons the OP stated. They stopped doing it, according to what I was told, because it was a real PITA for them and not many were wiling to pay the price.

I can't see how lockers that are locked and opened only by the person renting them would be a PITA. Seems like a great way to increase revenue for absolutely no work on the part of the range, and a great option for the tinfoil-hatters to store guns.

I'd call SS and let them know what you are intending to do, as mentioned maybe after shooting you take off for a pre-determined amount of time and leave it there for a cleaning and see what they say. Also when you call as for Kyle or his father.

The worst they can tell you is no they can't do that..

Harry

I've often thought that being able to store guns at a shooting facility would be a major convenience, for the reasons mentioned of being able to go other places to visit friends or family, get something to eat, etc. I can't think of any reason that ranges couldn't do it, except perhaps fear of liablity if the lockers were to get broken into and guns stolen.

This is probably a silly question... I ask because I'm a new shooter and this may be a common courtesy due to the transportation laws. I'm planning on heading south to shore shot this weekend to shoot, but also wanted to do some other things while in the area, visit family, shop, etc. Does anyone know if public ranges will hold the gun for a few hours?

Thanks

I would leave it at your family's house and pick it back up when you're done shopping and ready to head home.

In the last century I remember going to Ray's also. I guess that makes me an old codger or something. Those lockers were there and you signed a form releasing them from any liability if the place burnt down or someone torched through to get your stuff. I don't think that the laws have changed that much to make such a thing illegal, but don't quote me on that! Making it convenient for shooters to gather for a meal or shop or visit is a great idea and always has been. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

I can't see how lockers that are locked and opened only by the person renting them would be a PITA.

I believe it was the 24/7 accesst that was a PITA.

Those lockers were there and you signed a form releasing them from any liability if the place burnt down or someone torched through to get your stuff.

I remember the lockers you're talking about but I was referring to a more like a safe deposit box thing they did for a short time.