Sign in to follow this  
ClangClang

TLR-2 vs TLR-1s

I have a Glock 19 as my primary pistol. It's my range gun and my SHTF/HD gun (to be complemented by a shotgun sooner or later). I'm going to be getting a tactical light (almost certainly a TLR-1s), but I've been considering a laser sight too. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on the following:

1 - Usefulness of a laser in HD and/or SHTF scenarios?

and

2 - The TLR-2 seems to be the best value out there in terms of quality vs cost. Are there other units I'm missing? What about going with a TLR-1 and then a LaserMax internal laser. It's certainly a cleaner/smaller package (but obviously more expensive).

You may want to go with the tlr 2 just for simplicity. If you wanted to use a lasermax and the tlr1 you would have to light activation on the back of the light (or pressure pad), and the lasermax sight operated on the slide stop lever. The tlr2 allows you to use the same switch for both, steeply reducing the learning curve. If youre ever going to operate it under pressure simplicity will be your friend.

I preferred the LaserGrip and a hand held light combination (like a Streamlight Scorpion X) after watching some personal defense scenarios on the Outdoor Channel. I got tired of trying to find holsters to fit a light and I did find a belt/holster clip that will hold a light. The LaserGrips do not interfere with the holsters and it was relatively easy to sight in. If you have a Gen4 G19, they do not make a LaserGrip for it yet, only Gen3 and earlier.

I preferred the LaserGrip and a hand held light combination (like a Streamlight Scorpion X) after watching some personal defense scenarios on the Outdoor Channel. I got tired of trying to find holsters to fit a light and I did find a belt/holster clip that will hold a light. The LaserGrips do not interfere with the holsters and it was relatively easy to sight in. If you have a Gen4 G19, they do not make a LaserGrip for it yet, only Gen3 and earlier.

I use to favor the idea of just going with a hand held light and a handgun. I would practice dry firing while integrating the flashlight into my grip and thought it felt pretty good. Then I did a low light IDPA competition and the relatively minor addition of a desire to shoot well on a timed course was still enough of a stressor to make me hopelessy fumble when trying to get out my flashlight and get a good shooting grip with it in my hands.

I'm still keeping a light in my pistol safe and continue to practice in hopes of improving my Light+Gun shooting skills, but the experience left me with a strong preferance for a weapon mounted light as a primary light source for home defense because it seems pretty clear to me that I'm better off with a more idiot proof primary light source for the time being. I live in a house with just myself and my GF, so I'm less worried about needing to muzzle a target in order to identify it, because I can't think of any legitimate reason someone would be in my house late at night.

I use to favor the idea of just going with a hand held light and a handgun. I would practice dry firing while integrating the flashlight into my grip and thought it felt pretty good. Then I did a low light IDPA competition and the relatively minor addition of a desire to shoot well on a timed course was still enough of a stressor to make me hopelessy fumble when trying to get out my flashlight and get a good shooting grip with it in my hands.

I'm still keeping a light in my pistol safe and continue to practice in hopes of improving my Light+Gun shooting skills, but the experience left me with a strong preferance for a weapon mounted light as a primary light source for home defense because it seems pretty clear to me that I'm better off with a more idiot proof primary light source for the time being. I live in a house with just myself and my GF, so I'm less worried about needing to muzzle a target in order to identify it, because I can't think of any legitimate reason someone would be in my house late at night.

^^ This.

I've practiced with my Streamlight TLR-1s mounted and it works great for me. However, when I had to switch to a handheld light, I fumbled a noticeable amount. Trying to hold the light up and get a good stable grip and sight picture.... well... if you look at the low light IDPA thread, I have a video there.

^^ This. I've practiced with my Streamlight TLR-1s mounted and it works great for me. However, when I had to switch to a handheld light, I fumbled a noticeable amount. Trying to hold the light up and get a good stable grip and sight picture.... well... if you look at the low light IDPA thread, I have a video there.

Those are both very good points. I suppose I could use the TLR-1 ($105 versus $40 for the Scorpion X) and leave the LaserGrip ($115) on. Since I went with the Blackhawk Serpa I did not see one that would accomodate a light. The Crossbreed SuperTuck accomodates a CT LaserGuard but I'm not sure if it will accomodate the TLR. I'll ask Matt.

Since I cannot get a CT LaserGrip for the G19 I could use a TLR2 ($260) and have light and laser. Pretty pricey at half the cost of the gun though.

To your point, practicing with the different combinations will help show you which is better and for which circumstances.

I have a TLR-2 on my HD gun.

Like others have said the laser is a little difficult to sight in.

Also I have had some issues with the laser part of the light also. After 3 or 4 range sessions,

the laser in mine stopped working. Streamlight fixed it free of charge but it kind of made

me leery of relying on it. If I had to so again I'd get the TLR-1. The light is very good,

and allows you to keep 2 hands on the gun.

I still am not a fan of or feel comfortable about a weapon mounted light on a home defense weapon as I do not wish to be pointing a weapon at someone prior to identifying the target and making the decision to engage. These are highly stressful situations and at times I may be half asleep with all that adrenaline trying to give me a jumpstart. I would like to know if I am dealing with a family member or an intruder before pointing my weapon at them. A mistake would be a disaster.

I still am not a fan of or feel comfortable about a weapon mounted light on a home defense weapon as I do not wish to be pointing a weapon at someone prior to identifying the target and making the decision to engage. These are highly stressful situations and at times I may be half asleep with all that adrenaline trying to give me a jumpstart. I would like to know if I am dealing with a family member or an intruder before pointing my weapon at them. A mistake would be a disaster.

When you have a light that's bright enough, you don't have to shine it directly at the object. Also, your finger should be off the trigger until you've identified the target....

I have the TLR-1s, the one with the strobe. After a few trips to the range with it on my gun the strobe feature stopped working. Just thought I would share. I did get a good price on it. I still use it becuse the light still works just fine.

Maybe some others have been trained differently, but I was never taught to point my weapon-mounted light at what I was trying to identify. Not so much as a safety issue, but because a lot of walls are white, and you run the risk of flash-blinding yourself. I was taught, as others said, to strobe the floor and assess and direct action from there.