bulpup

Is this a crime?

My friend parked his bike in the street. One car moved and i guess the next guy thought he needed more room so he grabbed the bike and moved it. There was no permanent damage but the fairing was knocked out of whack and the mirror stalks got turned around to the point where if I didn't have a wrench he wouldn't have been able to drive home.

It seems like this should be at least some form of tresspass, but I am sure there is something that pertains to this that is illegal but I can't think of what.

I don't think he cod get away with criminal charges but if he has proof of who did it he could persue it civally and get the relIes paid for, small claims court perhaps. Unfortunately it would probably cost more I'm time and frustration then it would to just suck it up. On a side note, whoever did it may deserve a beat down.

MedicYeti does not condone the use of violence.

My thoughts would not be along the lines of someone parking having moved it. Based on the rough treatment I think I would believe someone tried to steal it!

Thanks for the responses.

My thoughts too Shane. This is beause when we got there the super of the building across the street said he saw the guy do it. We asked why he dind't call the police or take a plate number and he said he didn't think it was illegal and that he see people do it all the time.

If it were me, and of course I have to be restrained if I came up on someone moving my bike, but if it were someone else's I would call the police and tell them that someone was trying to steal it.

But I would feel bad calling the police and telling them that if I knew they were not actually trying to steal it.

I suppose I could tell the super that if they see someone doing that to call the police and say it is a disorderly person or something. Cant' expect him to confront anyone.

A somewhat weak case could be made for Criminal Mischief, but that's about it, and it would be a Perry Disorderly Persons offense at that.

Is there still "Tampering with a Motor vehicle" in Title 39? This would fit the circumstances described. Much easier to prove as its 39 and not criminal.

Somebody touched my bike like that , lets just say i wouldnt be the one callin the cops !! :threaten:

I agree, where did the respect for someones ride go to crap, I sure know I have never let anyone touch, sit on or ride my sled, and I don;t ever do it to anyone else's. Heck one of my buddies from Kan-z-a** had to almost beg me to ride his bike at one of our parties in Norther Kali, he wanted me to test ride it to see if a noise he was hearing was a problem, told him bunch of time I don't do that as a rule but finally gave in and took it for a quick putt around the block.

One of my buddies have a saying and old HD riders will relate "It was better when it was just us scum" While to the general public that may sound a little off, and not meant in a derogatory way, but hits the nail on the head to me. :)

Harry

• Like 1

A somewhat weak case could be made for Criminal Mischief, but that's about it, and it would be a Perry Disorderly Persons offense at that.

Is there still "Tampering with a Motor vehicle" in Title 39? This would fit the circumstances described. Much easier to prove as its 39 and not criminal.

Forgot about that one..that would fit.

I agree, where did the respect for someones ride go to crap, I sure know I have never let anyone touch, sit on or ride my sled, and I don;t ever do it to anyone else's. Heck one of my buddies from Kan-z-a** had to almost beg me to ride his bike at one of our parties in Norther Kali, he wanted me to test ride it to see if a noise he was hearing was a problem, told him bunch of time I don't do that as a rule but finally gave in and took it for a quick putt around the block.

One of my buddies have a saying and old HD riders will relate "It was better when it was just us scum" While to the general public that may sound a little off, and not meant in a derogatory way, but hits the nail on the head to me. :)

Harry

Agree 100% , i dont touch your ride , you dont touch mine !!!!!!!

Forgot about that one..that would fit.

great! Sounds much more like what I thought it would be too. At least this super will know that what he is seeing is illegal and not just sit by.

Thanks again for the responses. The thing that gets to me is if I didn't have access to a wrench his mirrors would have been useless. He would not have been able to ride home with them flopping in the breeze.

The other is that once touched the rider would have no idea what other potential hidden damage has been done.

The thing that gets to me is if I didn't have access to a wrench his mirrors would have been useless. He would not have been able to ride home with them flopping in the breeze.

You should keep a tool roll on the bike.

I don't know if it's just me being I grew up riding old Triumphs and Harley's but for each bike I have I go around and checkout each bolt and screw and set a wrench and other misc tools so I could if needed do a complete service of the bike on the side of the road. I also toss in wire ties, bailing wire and a bunch of other tools so I can fix just about anything right there. I also keep more than I need just in case I see another bike on the side of the road that needs help. Remember unlike cars, when on a bike, ALWAYS stop and help regardless of type of bike, remember Carma is a 2 way street.

Harry

Somebody touched my bike like that , lets just say i wouldnt be the one callin the cops !! :threaten:

this type of violent reaction on top of the number of people who are killed each year on motorcycles are the exact reasons we need to ban motorcycles. When a motorcycle is on the road it causes other drivers to behave in an irresponsible manner.

Seriously. It would never cross my mind to manhandle someones bike, the same as I wouldn't manhandle someones F-350. So many people have such little regard for other people and other peoples property, it irritates me.

• Like 1

You should keep a tool roll on the bike.

I don't know if it's just me being I grew up riding old Triumphs and Harley's but for each bike I have I go around and checkout each bolt and screw and set a wrench and other misc tools so I could if needed do a complete service of the bike on the side of the road. I also toss in wire ties, bailing wire and a bunch of other tools so I can fix just about anything right there. I also keep more than I need just in case I see another bike on the side of the road that needs help. Remember unlike cars, when on a bike, ALWAYS stop and help regardless of type of bike, remember Carma is a 2 way street.

Harry

I have always carried a tool roll on my bikes. I have had shifter levers fall off on the highway,spark plugs suddenly lose the gap,I even carry fuses and a spare bulb.Riding down a coutry lane at night with no headlight is not alot of fun.Its always an adventure. Keep the sunnyside up and Remember that Harleys don't leak,they just mark their spot. :icon_mrgreen:

"One of my buddies have a saying and old HD riders will relate "It was better when it was just us scum" While to the general public that may sound a little off, and not meant in a derogatory way, but hits the nail on the head to me". :)

So effing true!!!!!!!