How long should it take to be approved for a gun permit?

I've been waiting since the middle of may 2011

I don't want to bother the officers that handle the applications cause Ive been told it could bother them and create instant denial of permit. Any ideas or opinions

How long should it take to be approved for a gun permit?

I've been waiting since the middle of may 2011

I don't want to bother the officers that handle the applications cause Ive been told it could bother them and create instant denial of permit. Any ideas or opinions

What town do you live in? Is this your initial FID and Pistol permit?

Cliffside Pk.

Sorry I left that out applying for my FID and pistol permit

pretty much what the otherguys said. MInes took 3 months and it was because my reference took too long sending back the letter. Just start calling everyday.

As for as your 2 references, I was lucky enough to have my 2 references fill out the form and send it back to me in 3 days!

I would suggest to have your references send the completed forms right back to you, NOT the PD, and than you take them back all

together with the other paperwork to your PD. This way, the officer has all the paperwork needed at one time and its done.

• Like 1

As for as your 2 references, I was lucky enough to have my 2 references fill out the form and send it back to me in 3 days!

I would suggest to have your references send the completed forms right back to you, NOT the PD, and than you take them back all

together with the other paperwork to your PD. This way, the officer has all the paperwork needed at one time and its done.

SOME pd's will not accept this. How do they know that you didn't doctor the forms or just make them up yourself? Mail with some sort of tracking is always much much better...

+1

This is the #1 delay. Yet your references will deny that. :suicide:

Yep- i'm in the middle of dealing w this now. After 6 weeks MY PD CALLED ME to say everything was ready after 5 weeks but one of my references didnt respond yet!

my first FID took 6 months. that was back in 1995. when i moved and changed my address in 2006, it took another 6 months. my most recent pistol permit took 2.5 months. they claim 'they didnt get the box from the state police yet'.......though i heard someone else in a different town got the same excuse.

You can call & politely ask the stauts on your paperwork. They can not deny you for inquiring. They should have had it done already, possibly could be a delay from one of your references.

Aren't these items "Shall Issue" permits? you have to be specifically ineligible in order to be denied? So they have to issue in 30; days they can't deny because of you calling and "pestering" them.

SOME pd's will not accept this. How do they know that you didn't doctor the forms or just make them up yourself? Mail with some sort of tracking is always much much better...

Very true. Long branch just had me write the address on the two reference forms. They sent out same day and references received the following day.

In Robbinsville Twp, they just give you the 2 blank reference forms with the rest of the paperwork to complete and ask you to return them

all together.....VERY easy in this Township and very quick processing...less than 3 weeks for FID and 2 permits.

Wow gunnarsport, you are LUCKY!

A person can't be denied for being a PITA. They can certainly be put on hold if you really get on their backs. Then it's time to call the Chief, the Mayor, and the State Police. Got a friend that's a lawyer? A "friendly" reminder that this process should take no longer than 30 days from a lawyer on their letter head may help your cause.

Stinks that sometimes it has to go this way.

Make sure your references did their part, a lot of times they forget, really!

Aren't these items "Shall Issue" permits? you have to be specifically ineligible in order to be denied? So they have to issue in 30; days they can't deny because of you calling and "pestering" them.

Pistol Permits are NOT "shall issue" permits. The NJ CCW permit is May Issue with a shall issue provision if the police/courts DO NOT DENY THE PERMIT by a certain date which has already been disregarded by the courts in at least one case (with IMO a fault argument, but I think the guy fought the legal battle pro se which means he had a fool for a client or so the saying goes). The "issue or deny" provision however does not apply to FPID or Pistol Purchase Permits.

There's a 30 day law but virtually no towns follow it as there is case law from the 1990s that indicates that it takes longer to get a background check back than 30 days - of course, this is no longer the case. Any of the LEO's on the board will tell you that an FBI quality background check can now be done in HOURS, one day at the most.

Pistol Permits are NOT "shall issue" permits. The NJ CCW permit is May Issue with a shall issue provision if the police/courts DO NOT DENY THE PERMIT by a certain date which has already been disregarded by the courts in at least one case (with IMO a fault argument, but I think the guy fought the legal battle pro se which means he had a fool for a client or so the saying goes). The "issue or deny" provision however does not apply to FPID or Pistol Purchase Permits.

There's a 30 day law but virtually no towns follow it as there is case law from the 1990s that indicates that it takes longer to get a background check back than 30 days - of course, this is no longer the case. Any of the LEO's on the board will tell you that an FBI quality background check can now be done in HOURS, one day at the most.

This is what I read that prompted my question. Which is why I am now confused by what you said above in bold.

2C:58-3 Purchase of firearms

f.Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants.

Well, the PD will call to verify the references, so why would anyone be stupid enough to provide a fake reference with a forged signature?

You would be amazed at how often it happens..same with false Employment claims..if you are unemployed fine, but dont BS on the form.